“Great value, great location.”

Highland Country Inn
Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This hotel is within walking distance of anywhere I usually go when I'm in flagstaff, the room was very big and clean for the price. The beds weren't the most comfortable, but I only stayed one night so it wasn't a huge deal. It had the usual noisy aircon/heater you get in most budget hotels so that was to be expected.
My main problem was the service, and the reception area smelled strongly of curry. The service was slow, we were the only people there, but check in took way longer than it needed to. The receptionist insisted my credit card was a gift card, after tiring of trying to convince her it wasn't, I gave her a different card, which she also had a problem with the first few times, I'm pretty sure she was swiping the cards back ways. You'd think a hotel receptionist would have a better handle on how to use a credit card machine.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank I3ishop
There are newer reviews for Highland Country Inn

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We had two double rooms, one for me and my husband and one for my father in law. The rooms were spacious, each with a king bed, fridge, microwave, table with 2 chairs and an en suite bathroom. There was a good heating system but it was a little slow to warm up. The shower was powerful.

The reception were friendly and helpful at check in and when we needed to find our way around town and out and about. They provided complimentary tea and coffee in the morning, but no other breakfast items (there weren't any coffee machines in the rooms).

There is also free parking and good wifi.

For us, this was a two night stop over to give us the chance to day trip to the Grand Canyon one day and to Sedona the next day. It was comfortable, secure and friendly and exceeded our expectations for the price we paid.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank KSud
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The day of, I called to confirm my reservation I’d made months ago. The phone conversation was very confusing – she was nice but seemed distracted. Our experience checking in went more smoothly. It’s a small two-story motel near Route 66 and the lovely downtown Flagstaff. The room was big, the bed was big, and all was clean. There was a fridge and microwave – the wireless internet worked very well. The décor was standard cheap-motel gear – I think we saw the picture on the wall earlier in our trip at another motel. No complaints, but overall, we wished hard that we had stayed at the slightly more expensive but infinitely more interesting Hotel Monte Vista.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I had seen very positive reviews on Tripadvisor on this old school motel and seen prices advertised online for less than $50 per nite. Since our trip was in flux, we didn't make advance reservations but rolled the dice that it would be available if we needed it.
The very accommodating owners honored the internet rate instead of sticking us with some obscene rack rate typical of walk-ups. We were promptly processed and in our cozy double room in less than 5 minutes. While about a half mile walk to downtown Flagstaff, the motel was still convenient to nightlife and restaurants without engaging our vehicle.
Despite being at a main intersection of town near the university, even the room near the front office was surprisingly quiet. Basic ammenities were provided, the room was spotless and the ventilation system worked smoothly and quietly. The bedding was comfortable and bathroom clean with excellent hot water & pressure, and good drainage at the fixtures.
Our brief stay was very pleasant and enjoyable. I would recommend this motel for a quick, affordable night or two while passing through or attending a special event downtown or at the nearby university.

Room Tip: Though we found the rooms near the front office and busy intersection surprisingly quiet, a room tow...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ShowMeVegas
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is an OK property. Stayed here for 1 night, rooms were clean (enough). Can be a bit noisy from the street and because of the fact that your room window is 2 feet away from the motel parking lot.. but I guess thats what happens with a lot of these places. Wifi was working properly, but very slow at times.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Why stay anywhere else?

This is a clean, neat, no-frills hotel close to Routes 40 and 66. Plenty of diners and restaurants around. Beds and pillows were comfortable enough but not luxurious. Rooms have fridge and microwaves, but not coffee-makers.

For coffee in the wee hours, when the lobby is not open, I went about .7 miles down the street to McDonald's which is open 24 hours.

There are plenty of restaurants around so dining is no problem.

This is a great value. The owners deserve a lot of credit for their effort. It really shows!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is a very good no-frills motel that does what it does simply but very well. Rooms initially seem pretty spartan with their minimal decoration, but they have what you really need: very large, comfortable beds, effective heating/AC, large TV, fridge, microwave (at least, in the one we had, they did), good shower, hair dryer etc.

Everything is very clean, and the whole place is very well-maintained. Good parking, with excellent access to main roads. Surprisingly quiet considering location.

Family who run it are v helpful and friendly, and the location is good for seeing Flagstaff's old town.

All told, one of those places you think twice about reviewing, lest other people make it so popular you can't get in anymore at these bargain prices...

Room Tip: Rooms near the metal stairs can be disturbed by people clanking up them late at night.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple