“Big rooms with French Provincial decor”

Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I overnighted here with colleagues and was delighted with the size of the rooms - much larger than you're likely to find elsewhere, and certainly not anywhere offering such good rates. The service was very polite and helpful, particularly in the restaurant. The lobby concierge was patient and competent at arranging transport and such.

To me there were two down sides. First, the hotel is two stories and VERY long. It was like walking a city block or two to go from the restaurant to my room. Second, and this may just be me, but the French Provincial style decor made the place feel like it hadn't been remodeled since 1965. Since everything was in very good condition, it obviously is not that old. But I would have been more comfortable with something a bit less garish.

Regardless of the decor, overall I was quite happy I stayed there.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 November 2009

We arrived 'blind' after a long drive from Phoenix via the meteor crater and were absolutely overwhelmed by the friendliness of the staff, comfort of its amenities and the delights of its setting. My wife, in particular, was in her element as a veritable ‘Mrs Christmas’, because the building and its surrounding was festooned with beautiful lights and the hall looked like Santa’s lodge. We were on route to Las Vegas and it took me all my skills of persuasion to drag her away the next day, and even then, this was only possible because of a solemn promise that we would stay there again, this time for a few days, or more.
We are not able to get to the USA this Christmas season, but we will try to sort out a visit for next year (honest Valerie) and revisit your wonderful country and the ‘Little America’.
Colin H.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2009

If you are looking for a clean, friendly hotel pick this one. My husband and I stayed here on two occasions travelling through Flagstaff and both times our room (which is very large) was super clean and the staff was willing to help in any way they could. Even the women in the gift shop were very helpful telling us where to go to process photos. For the price this place cannot be beat.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2009

This was an absolutely lovely hotel. We stayed here for two nights over Halloween 2009, and I wish we had stayed longer. The room was very large and beautifully decorated. We asked for a quiet room, so they put us in Lodge #4, which was more secluded Our patio doors opened to a forest of pine trees. It was beautiful to wake up to. We enjoyed breakfast our first morning there, and we thought it was reasonably priced for the food that we got. The staff was also wonderful - they answered all of our questions and were very helpful. Overall, we had a great experience and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Very pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, amenities, furniture style, flat-screen TV, internet access, fridge etc. plus the 2-mile hiking trail in the woods. Wish it were a lot closer to the downtown restaurants and shops, and not so close to the interstate and railway line. We would have liked a coffee/snack place to have a quick breakfast rather than have to sit down and wait in the dining room. Driving access from the hotel back onto the roads was very difficult as the entrance/exit is very close to a traffic signal and there were always big trucks coming off the highway.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2009

We travelled across the USA on a tour organised by Great Rail Journeys of York between the 7th and 27th October 2009. We had a two night stop at the Little America Hotel set amid 500 acres of private, lush pine forest. Our room was the largest we experienced on this trip, with a seating area and a small dining table with a chandelier. There were two large queen sized beds and two sinks (one outside the bathroom). The hotel was clean, but our room was a 5 minute walk by internal corridor to Reception. The Pool was closed for refurbishment and one of the 3 restaurants was closed and had been for over a year. There was free internet in Reception. There was a special welcome to the group from the hotel management with free cookies and generally staff were helpful. The gift shop was large with a wide range of gifts and souvenirs.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I guess there's not a lot to choose from in Flagstaff. I've stayed at a Best Western Hotel many years ago, and it was a lot better than this hotel.

I was there for a four-day conference with my company. When we first drove up, we thought it was a truck stop and left to look further down the street. After roaming around for another 15 minutes, we went back and drove further into the parking lot.

I thought the lobby was quaint...kinda kitschy but I was willing to go with the flow. Lugging my suitcase to my room was not fun...I had to go through connecting doors and stairs. Someone with a lot of luggage would have trouble. When I opened the door and turned on the lights in my room, I literally gasped. I had stepped into my grandmother's shrine. I don't think they decorated it that way on purpose...it was probably really chic in 1960. My colleagues and I pretty much poked fun at our rooms the whole week. I did discover that my room decor was worse than the others. But the room itself was very large. Bathroom was old, and the linens were thin. The room was dusty in areas, so I only touched the essential areas.

In the public areas around the ballrooms, there were a lot of construction going on. I had to walk through dusty stucco, ladders, electrical wires hanging from ceilings to get to my conference room. I think any future guest should call in advance to make sure that the construction is done before going there. I guess it bugged me that they had all this building stuff everywhere knowing that a customer was holding a conference there.

All my meals were organized by the conference team, and it was okay. I had soup and sandwiches most days...boring, but not the hotel's fault. We did have pie one night on our own in the the hotel restaurant, and it was pretty good. I was there in the winter, so I didn't venture out beyond the hotel except for dinner meals. Nor did I feel like exploring the rest of the hotel areas or amenities. I guess I was just turned off by what I saw.

I would never stay here by choice for business. It's probably okay if you're touring the Grand Canyon with friends and family. But I'm a bit spoiled and I don't like to stay in places that look so outdated and tired. But I think my company got each room for $99 a night. So for this price, there's not a lot to complain. It's just a personal preference. This place wasn't for me.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business