“Best sushi in Buffalo”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
buffalo,ny
“Best sushi in Buffalo”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The best sushi in Buffalo. Inventive, delicious, dishes and sushi. Incredibly fresh with a beautiful atmosphere. Great service too

Buffalo, NY
“Amazing as Always”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This place is my favorite place to go when it's my turn to pick a restaurant on date night. I basically try something new off the menu every time and never go home unhappy!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Abha G
Buffalo
“Food OK, not superb enough to distract me from my Philip”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Let's start by stating the obvious -- this place is one of the best restaurants in Buffalo. However, that's like bragging that you are the best sumo wrestler in Switzerland. The city is not at the vanguard of culinary developments.

Unless you have a hankering for pizza, chicken wings, or Ponderosa, the pickins are slim. The people, alas, are not.

As an adorable world traveler, I have savored sushi and fusion in the real hotspots -- Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles, Newfane. I think a place like Sea Bar would struggle in a more cosmopolitan city with a Japanese population.

While the dishes are of good quality, the presentation at Sea Bar can be clunky. The bold flavors described by the waitstaff sometimes do not materialize, drowned out by an overeliance on sesame oil.

On a positive note: The fish was quite fresh. Also, my lifepartner Philip, a real sake enthusiast, was quite pleased with a recommended bottle of Coy, a perfectly sweet, balanced rice wine that paired quite nicely with Philip's handsome blue eyes.

Seriously, this was very good sake, a despite its +$30 price tag, should not be missed.

The restaurant decor was sleek and modern, and while it appeared clean, we were slightly perturbed by a pesky fruit fly or two. Not a deal-breaker, but, yuck, ya know?

Service was attentive, perhaps overly so, and aggressive upselling produced a few awkward moments. Perhaps the plain-spoken rubes in Buffalo don't mind a high degree of frankness from their servers, but Philip and I were a bit uncomfortable with it.

I intend to visit again to take in the late night scene, but the open floor plan in the main room near the bar lacks the little nooks that make it hard to steal a kiss from my masculine prince. I guess we'll have to snuggle at the bar -- PDA ALERT!!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank JohnnyCFerraro
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Unique sushi!”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Sea Bar has amazingly unique sushi (such as the beef on weck roll) & a great atmosphere. I don't visit often though(I live in Buffalo) because the service can be less than desirable. If you like sushi though & want something unique, you should definitely check it out!

Ohio
“Great sushi, service and atmosphere”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We did not have reservations for Saturday dinner, but got there at 4:30 and were able to get a seat. We were brought out curry popcorn to accompany our drinks. We ordered appetizers, consisting of fish tacos and thai soup. Both were amazing. Fish tacos were huge and had a great Japanese flavor to them
For our meals, we had a spider roll, and spicy tuna. We both loved our sushi, and could barely finish after the great appetizers.
Funny thing was we decided to split a dessert...so much for being full. Needless to say that was also a pleasure. We had the banana split...amazing!

Service was very good, and we look forward to coming back.

• Visited October 2011