Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Nice couple of hours at this Zoo

456yessicat

Buffalo, New York

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Buffalo
from US$49.99
More Info
All reviews polar bear rainforest exhibit sea lions reptile house perfect size few hours great for kids delaware park on display animals habitat luna carousel hyenas arctic playground feeding
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We recently visited Buffalo, and decided to check out the Zoo, we spent 2 hours on a weekday, we had the place almost to ourselves. It was nice strolling around, they had Halloween decorations all around. Must be a nice day trip for families with kids. Nice variety of species as well. Wouldn't compare it to other, bigger Zoos as this one is more small/medium size, but it was nice!

Reviewed 1 week ago

went there with my family love all the animals and it was clean and very well run. lot of shade and places to sit. the prices were a little high. we took our own lunch to save money.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

This zoo is very small and has incredibly small enclosures for its animals. Elephants and giraffes living in cages and houses with a small patch of grass outside! A zebra with its head facing a brick wall not moving, polars bears doing repeat motions for hours like they are crazy and elephants swaying back and forth on repeat also insane. It’s incredibly sad. My husband isn’t even an animal lover and he was the one who said we need to leave because he could not watch anymore of what was going on.
Please do not support this zoo!

Reviewed September 27, 2018 via mobile

Wasn't sure when we first arrived if it was opened (we went on a rainy Wednesday). Parking was $5 - you pay at entrance to zoo and they give you a token to insert to exit the lot.
We had the whole zoo basically to ourselves. The animals were cute and fun to watch, especially the sea lions and polar bears! We spent close to 2 hours there, leisurely taking our time.
Great place to visit if you are in the area with small kiddos!!

Reviewed September 25, 2018

I visited the Buffalo Zoo with my Daughter and two of my Grandsons. It is always nice to see the rare animals and to see how well they are taken care of. The kids loved seeing the animals but were a little disappointed that a couple of the "houses" were closed. We will definetely be back to visit as its always great to see what is knew as it seems they are always adding something to make it bigger and better. It is also a good place for learning about each animal and little things for the kids to do.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Our recent trip to the Buffalo Zoo with children ages 18 months to 6 years was great! The kids had just as much fun as us adults. The animal's habitats were well cared for and resembled their natural habitat. It is a full day of fun and exploration. There are so many animals to see. There were food and snack areas, picnic areas, plenty of bathrooms, and a nursing station or two.

1  Thank ungerrdh
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

This is a zoo that you can see in a few hours of leisurely walking. A little of everything. They say they have 1200 animals. In the middle of Buffalo. Not a lot of on sight parking. We ended up parking on a residential street and walking in.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

My daughter contacted me and said the Buffalo Zoo was having a bird exhibit for the summer. Parakeets and cockatiels would fly all over you. We chose a coolish day and made our visit.
I had just had surgery, so I needed a walker as I was still weak. But I wanted to see the birds. I looked for handicapped parking but saw none, so we had to park halfway across the lot and struggle in. That wasn't too bad. I had read you could rent wheelchairs and scooters, but I saw none. After we bought our tickets we asked a guide where the birds were. She pointed, but it really didnt help much. We started walking in that direction.
Our first stop was the sea lion echibit. One huge guy was swimming around and around. As he passed us, he stuck his nose up and that was fun. Other seals were in the lower level where you could watch under the water. Still looking for birds, we passed the otter exhibit. These happy guys have a lovely spot. They can run across a large field and then slide down a waterfall, which they do over and over. Years ago the otter exhibit was very small, so I was happy to see these guys happy.
Still looking for birds, we passed a lion and tiger exhibit. A huge male lion sat majestically on a hill, his mate napping by him. The tiger was lying on his back, airing himself in the sun. Near them was a huge polar bear that had a lovely pool and used it most of the time.
We finally found the birds. Before going in, you paid for popsicle sticks that had millet glued to them. When you walked into the enlosure, you held up the sticks and the birds swooped down. I had cockatiels on my back and parakeets on my arm. One bird liked playing with my hair. The birds were worth the trip. Kids squealed with delight as the birds swooped down and landed on their sticks.
We stayed in the bird house for about a half hour. As we left, I had to find a rest room. They are plentiful, so that wasn't a problem. But because I cant look up, i couldnt see which was the mens and which was the womens. Of course I ended up in the mens. I was alone in there, fortunately. The zoo needs to put plates on the doors, not 10 feet in the air, for people to easily see which is which.
We continued on, enjoying the day, until we came to the elephants. These two beasts have been in the same horrible enclosure for years. All concrete, no water, and the smaller one just,swayed back and forth, like the elephants of yesteryear did when they were tethered by chains. The good news is, the elephants are leaving and going to a wonderful rescue in the south, where they will have a pond and green grass and get to spend their final years,with other old elephants.
The zoo is nice for a 3 hour trip. Not a huge zoo, but it does allow children to see the animals. And the gift shop has great souveniers.

1  Thank Avie4747
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

My son and daughter and I decided to have a Zoo day. We live between Rochester and Syracuse zoo and having done those before wanted to try some thing different. Based on some of the reviews I wasn’t sure what to expect. The parking lot was full so had to drive around some and found parking on the edge of the park. Was a nice day for a walk and didn’t have to pay for parking so it was ok. The zoo did not feel overly crowded. We took our time and had a great day. The reptile house was closed for renovations but everything else was open. We really enjoyed the polar bears, the new rainforest exhibit, the lions, tiger, and feeding the birds. We went back to some of our favorites and got to see some more of the animals that weren’t awake prior. We did get some food at the concession which was good and we enjoyed the gift shop. Really had a nice day and would recommend visiting this zoo.

Reviewed August 21, 2018

This is a nice medium-sized zoo for families with younger children. Our 5 and 7 tear old could walk around and lasted about two hours- which let us see and do just about everything. Feeding the parakeets was a highlight for my 7-year old! The polar bear exhibit and the rainforest were our favorites. The old architecture is an added bonus. Stop here if your family likes the zoo!