“One of the best and authentic Szechuan food on the east of Mississippi -- seriously!”
Review of China Star

China Star
Ranked #343 of 1,130 Restaurants in Buffalo
Reviewed August 28, 2016 via mobile

This restaurant is an undiscovered gem in the crowded list of the Chinese restaurant popping at every plaza. I went here with my Chinese- American colleague (UB alumni) and several colleagues of ours who were visiting from around the world. She ordered a variety of vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes and everyone of them were excellent - cabbage with peppers, lotus roots, fish in a hot soupy broth (my favorites). Others in the group also liked, egg plants with peppers, chicken, pork and shrimps stir fried with peppers.

If you cannot handle the spicy hot foods, you may want to ask the owner to dial it down. Our entire group did not have an issues. Prices very affordable. This place is a hidden gem in one of those everyday plazas. People need to discover this.

Reviewed November 29, 2015

China Star was once a conventional Chinese-American restaurant, but the new owner has drastically revised the menu to appeal to Han Chinese and other east Asian university students far from home. We last took away the pork dumplings, sliced fish & sour cabbage soup, Lamb w. cumin flavor, and Bok Choy, black mushroom. All were excellent, especially the soup and the lamb. Previously I had the beer chicken (I wanted duck, but it wasn't available.) It was tasty but challenging to eat because of the bone fragments in each morsel. Note: we didn't eat in, but rather took away our food. It traveled well and was hot (in more ways than one!) when we had it for supper at home. I would recommend having some yogurt or milk on hand if you are sensitive to fiery hot chilis. Beer or a Riesling wine goes well, but not at the restauarant, only at home with a take away ordeer. They offer only soft drinks.

Reviewed October 16, 2014 via mobile

Egg roll was hot and crunchy outside but mushy inside. Peppersteak with onions was odd tasting and the beef was almost shredded. Sesame chicken was ok. No fried rice option. Only white. Won ton soup was good. Nothing outstanding in our order, just about average.

Reviewed October 13, 2014

I ordered food to take home as I was close by. I had heard that they had food not normally found on a typical Chines menu. This is very true! Lots of unusual items and there were some daily specials too all of which I had never heard of.
The young lady at the front counter was very nice. She could speak English pretty well, but when i came to descriptive words, she had a hard time. I was fine with that as she was so nice, but if you are the kind of person that needs to know before ordering, you may have trouble here.
As I waited for the food, only people of Asian decent were coming and going. I think this spoke well to the authenticity of the food. While waiting I noticed an usual can in the pop case, and I decided to take it home. It was a very good "tea" made from an assortment of plants.
All the food was of very good quality. Much of it was spicy. They do a pepper range on the side of the menu from 0-3 peppers so you know how hot things are. I will go back again.
If you are an adventurous eater this is the kind of place for you.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

It's great to be able to experience new flavors and find out what real Chinese food really is. Chillies, celantro, ginger are just a few flavors I loved.