“Understated, delicious, wonderful...”

Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,058 Restaurants in Buffalo
Price range: US$8 - US$38
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin
Description: Bacchus wine bar and restaurant is located in the historic Calumet building in the heart of Buffalo's entertainment district. A seasonal menu highlights the best available ingredients from local and regional farms. Together with our Wine Spectator award winning wine list, this elegant yet casual restaurant has continually been ranked as one of Buffalo's best
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I chose Bacchus for my birthday dinner and what a great choice I made. The restaurant's decor is upscale but calming, the service is friendly and helpful but still very professional, and the food is absolutely delicious. Wines by the glass, as other reviewers have noted, are poured from the bottle at your table, and the wine list has a number of very nice choices, reasonably priced. My friend had the duck entree and said it was wonderful; I started with the pear and gorgonzola salad and then had the steak from the small plates menu. The salad was very, very good, but the steak was outstanding. It's quite a substantial portion, certainly enough for an entree, and the fries that accompanied it were light years from your average fried potato and beautifully presented. An absolute winner.
Thank you, Bacchus, for a great birthday dinner.

1  Thank DayTripper1630
There are newer reviews for Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I went out on a limb a few visits ago to this delightful resturant and tried the ribeye. It came highly recommend by the server and was referred as the best on the menu. I have tried many ribeye's that came with similar recommendations and have never been impressed. Usually tough, the marbling is just slightly less chewy fat and usually I am wishing I ordered something different. To my delight on this occasion I was not disappointed. It was a fantastic cut of beef! The marbling is spot on and the fried gorgonzola cake on top only adds to the flavor and tenderness. Ther were times I used my fork to cut a piece in half! I have since tried this two more times and all were consistent. I am now on a mission to find a comparable steak and have had no luck. Very delicious! A little pricey for the budget conscious ($39) yet well worth it.

I would highly recommend this resturant. It has a great wine list, a good beer selection, delicious small plates and fresh salads. Basically all the food I have tried in my two dozen or so visits here has left a very good impression.

1  Thank Premja
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were there for dinner and wine. Great wine selection of course. The staff was very attentive and nice with helpful reommendations. We enjoyed the muscles and salmon. We will go back.

1  Thank Slip460
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I have heard a lot of great things about this restaurant living in Buffalo, however I have never had an outstanding meal here for the price nor outstanding service...even though I have gone several times trying to change my mind about it.

I normally never write reviews on restaurants but I thought I should after I had one interesting experience here before a Sabres game in December. My friend and I did not have reservations and we arrived at 5:15pm...giving us plenty of time before the game. We walked in and there was not one single person eating in the restaurant besides a couple in the corner. The host greeted us and informed us that if we did not have reservations we could not eat there because they were booked at 6pm. The restaurant was EMPTY! Then he stated that if we could eat our meal before 6pm then we would be ok....
I have never experienced this anywhere in Buffalo EVER! We walked out surprised and walked down the street to Bambino (which was packed by the way) and they seemed to fit the two of us in with no reservations and no problems.

This ultimately made up my mind that this restaurant is not worth it. I will never eat there again.

If your going to spend the money you might as well go to Hutches, the Rue Franklin, Tempo, or one of the many other restaurants in Buffalo that have excellent food and great service.

1  Thank Liz S
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We ate here a few times while doing a project in Buffalo. It was convenient to our hotel, and we thought the food was good and well prepared. It can be pricey depending on what you order. We found that a salad or soup and a small plate was plenty of food, and that is very reasonably priced. They had a great roasted beet salad, and a wonderful butternut squash and duck confit risotto while we were there. The service was well done keeping the right balance of taking care of us without hovering. We had 3 enjoyable meals there for our group of 3 colleagues.

1  Thank cds_SanFrancisco