“Great Food and presentation”
Review of TEMPO

TEMPO
Ranked #30 of 1,059 Restaurants in Buffalo
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Allen Street
Description: A formal dining experience, Tempo offers entrees ranging from $20-$50.
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The food is wonderful. Everything we ordered was of high quality.
Tips: The downstairs is VERY noisy. They even have 3 tables in the small bar area which need to be avoided at all costs. We opted to be seated upstairs. They could use a more varied listing of Italian reds on their wine list. Also, there were no Italian Reserves listed and a vague listing of Toscanas which told nothing other than the vintner.

1  Thank DKJNewYork
There are newer reviews for TEMPO

Reviewed 25 March 2012

We have never been disappointed at Tempo. The service is very well trained and attentive without being pretentious. We have never felt pressure to hurry or make a choice that we were not ready to make.

The food is excellent. The menu is appealing and always offers great selections. Daily specials are common and excellent as well. The gnocchi is unbeatable, filet is mouth watering and extremely tenter. Lobster risotto was delectable. Desserts are unbelievably good.

The rooms can be a bit loud, but that does not take away from the overall experience. Prices are a bit on the high side for some items, but well worth it!

Reviewed 16 March 2012

From the moment it opened, Tempo has set the standard for upscale, fine dining in Buffalo. The hit a home run each and every time. The gnocchi pomodoro features the best gnocchi I've ever had. The whole bronzino fish is fabulous, the steaks and chops are incredible.

The only downside - the prices are high. Not high for Buffalo, high for anywhere. This is not a place to go when budgets are tight. Head to Tempo knowing that the food will be as fabulous as the check is large.

1  Thank G_mat964
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My husband and I, after years of needlessly putting it off, finally decided to go to Tempo, a high-scale restaurant on Delaware Avenue housed in one of the street's famed and beautiful mansions. Tempo has what can be described as a pseudo-Italian theme utilizing core Italian staples, herbs, and spices, but branches off from this at many points to include such dishes as ahi tuna loin with a soy vinaigrette (appetizer) and a fine array of fresh seafood including oysters on the half shell.
The restaurant itself is romantic and beautiful, with handsome molding detail and recessed lighting to set the mood for any special occasion, or simply a night away from it all. The wine list is extensive and someone is on site - we didn't know if he was a true sommelier or one of the servers - who knows the list well and can help select a bottle to meet one's tastes. We were not surprised when some of the more expensive bottles were pointed out to us, but neither were we disappointed when we chose a more reasonably-priced Russian River Valley chardonnay. An important point for any wine enthusiast to remember is that price need not always convey value. True, in any liquor store the sale bottles for $5.99 may not represent your top-notch varietals, but what is displayed on a wine list of a fine dining establishment has been hand-selected by someone felt to have good taste, so you shouldn't feel you're going wrong if you don't choose the $140 bottle.
For starters, my husband and I ordered the sea scallops and the ahi tuna loin. Both were luscious, although we would have been pleased to see more than two scallops on the plate for a $14 appetizer. It was served with a porcini mushroom cream and crisp containing caraway seeds. The tuna was perfectly seared, fresh and flavorful and came atop a small bed of fresh cold wafer-thin vegetables. No complaints. The server also brought out a "chef's compliment" platter of marinated olives, feta, and prosciutto di Parma. Very nice touch.
We chose fish for our entrees, my husband going with the branzino (a European sea bass-like fish) and myself with the salmon. We were not disappointed in either case. Both fish were fresh and flakey, although the server could not tell me if my salmon was wild or farm-raised. A small side of vegetables and a few fried fingerling potatoes for us both, and we cleaned our plates.
So, all in all, a good experience with good quality food. A lovely interior, and fine service by a clearly very busy staff. My only reservation is this: my background in cuisine has afforded me a good knowledge of food costs in general, and I am a big proponent of value - in getting at least what you pay for. That being said, I was taken aback by some of the menu prices. $36 for a breaded chicken breast entree?? Really?? $48 for lobster and corn risotto?? Granted, we didn't order either, but this is Buffalo, folks. Granted as well, if one doesn't like the prices or can't afford to eat somewhere, then don't eat there. But something tells me that the usual clientele at Tempo can more than afford to eat there and don't harbor my concerns about value. We'll go back for certain, but it will most likely be on that proverbial rainy day.

4  Thank NorthBuffaloLocavore
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I love this place. They have this greens and beans with sausage soup that is out of world! Everything I have ever had there was superb.

1  Thank Buffaloswife

Been to TEMPO? Share your experiences!