“Great good and service! Must try!”

Suzy Q's Barbeque Shack
Ranked #21 of 1,184 Restaurants in Buffalo
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed October 7, 2018

The food were good and the corn bread was good as well. Portions were humongous. Really had a great meal plus the service was great, the staff was very accommodating as well. I would definitely come again.

Date of visit: September 2018
2  Thank Emily N

Reviewed August 18, 2018

My companion and I went here recently for lunch based on recommendations from a friend. Nondescript, kind of rundown exterior but emanating wonderful smells of bar-be-que. Very clean interior, including sparkling clean but simple ladies room. Restaurant had multitudes of pig figurines which the owner told us her customers had brought her. She recommended the hous specialities of the salty hog or piggy pie which were layered dishes of pulled pork, shredded cheese, sweet potato fries or salt potatoes, cole slaw, and salsa. We ordered these and tried garnishing them with a variety of bar-be-que sauces that were on the table. Large servings, we ended up taking home half our meals for the next day. YUMMY! Had sodas which came in cans with cups of ice. Rollicking music added to the experience. Will definitely return.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 8, 2018

Stopped by here on a Saturday evening about six, knowing we were taking a chance because we'd heard they might run out of items. A sign on the door said they had a party and couldn't take any orders for about an hour. We went in anyhow, and they said we could place an order and have oit ready about 7:00. We said okay, that works.
We ordered a pulled pork wrap and a brisket sandwich. We cam back in an hour to another sign that said "Out of Food - Closed". But another sign said "Mike - we have your order". Cool.
Went inside and our food was all set. My brisket sandwich was on an awesome roll, a little crusty, just perfect. The meat was tender and tasty. The sewwt potato 'stix' fries were okay - I think they got a little mushy waitng for us. My wifes pulled pork in a wrap was also good. Her Mac 'n Cheese side went so fast that I never got to taste it!
We liked the food a lot and hope to get back there again soon

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed April 18, 2018

The food is very good here and at these prices ???? You couldn't make it yourself for what they charge and they do all the work. I will be back there again.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Larry K
Reviewed November 4, 2017

I was really looking forward to this place after reading all of the positive reviews. I can't express how let down I am.

Even though northerners do not have a natural knack for good barbeque, we in Western New York are still lucky to have a few that come close, notably Smoke on the Water. Suzy's is, frankly, awful, low-budget barbeque.

Pros:
Very clean, which to me is an honest positive. A lot of restaurants around here, even high-end ones, do not exude "clean". Many are just nasty and an instant turn-off. Suzy's smelled, looked and felt clean.

The wait staff was nice, but, a superficial nice. More on the service in the cons.

Cons:
CASH ONLY. WTF? It's 2017...it's a given we pay by plastic and it's up to the staff to inform you before you order that it's cash only.

They have these hand-written, neon stars all over the place saying to visit them on Facebook. The only sign that says "cash only" is the same type of hand-written star at knee height at the service counter. We only noticed it well after we ordered. The server said NOTHING about it being CASH ONLY.

Their solution? An ATM that charges a $2.75 service fee. The server had no idea how much the service fee was. Sure she didn't...

The portions were okay, not too small, not generous, either.

The pulled pork was competent, but not a stand out. The meat was average to low quality. Not a lot of smoky flavor.

The ribs looked under-cooked and were definitely not fall-off-the-bone like a good barbeque rib should be. My one companion said they were "alright".

The so-called "Polish sausage" was a hideous, low-quality highly pulverized version that anyone in the Buffalo area ought to be ashamed to serve, especially as a featured meat in a barbeque.

If any place on earth should have stand-out sausages, it should be any restaurant in Western New York, especially, if not specifically, the Polish sausage.

Don't get exited over the pictures of the mac-and-cheese. That's not what it looks like. This was a boring SYSCO mac-and-cheese with cracker crumbled on the top. The cracker had an unpleasant after-taste. The mac-and-cheese was bland and had zero character to it. It was anything but cheesy, gooey and tangy.

The sodas. You get charged over $1.50 per can - no fountain option. Ridiculous.

I should have walked out when I first looked at the menu and noticed the turkey and brisket are an additional up-charge. Cornbread costs extra. Anything and everything is extra. The menu is actually deceptive because of this. If you're looking for brisket, add about $1.50 to everything. Want cornbread? Add at least $2.

Being a foodie and one who enjoys exploring the many restaurants Western New York has to offer, I have run across duds. Most duds I walk out of with a neutral impression because the effort was still competent. Suzy's falls near the extreme end of the dud scale, well into being a disappointment.

Do not believe the hype on this place, trust your gut and go elsewhere.

Date of visit: November 2017