“When you hungry for great asian food”

Arirang Korean & Japanese
Ranked #261 of 1,123 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed April 7, 2017 via mobile

I found this place and we ordered rice cake, Korean pancake, kimchi tofu stew, seafood udon noddle, seafood fried rice ... they are all delicious and they have bubble tea.

1  Thank 123ru_0k

Reviewed March 23, 2017

I have seen this place for years. It is in a very weird little plaza but there are 2 other restaurants right there too.... the parking lot is small and could see it having a problem on the weekends with the other restaurant being a restaurant that has pizza, wings, and a sporty atmosphere.

The gentleman who seated me was very humble and sweet. He was cheery but not overwhelmingly chatty. He checked on me twice and let me enjoy my lunch.

For my meal I went in for lunch and I was the only one eating there. UB students were on Spring Break and in that area there are a lot of Asian students that study at UB and most likely frequent that restaurant. At this time there was one other Asian couple that came in and ordered take out, so at 12:15 I had the place to myself. This was actually good as anyone who has eaten a Pho before knows how you fight with the noodles especially when you just use a spoon and chopsticks... :) So I am glad there were no witnesses. It was a bit messy as I inspected my sweater closely when I got home to see little splotches...So worth it.

The dish I had was very Pho-ish, Spicy Noodles with Seafood. It was a huge bowl with a pile of seafood on it burying the noodles. Along with it came these little fun dishes of vegetables. Two kinds of Kimchi, seasoned tofu, seaweed salad, potato, and some kind of bean sprouts. Most all of them were good. I tried to eat all the veggies as I knew I could save the noodled/soup for dinner (the picture is of my left overs not the full portion) I did eat about half of it for lunch.

It was served in a spicy broth with varied mix seafood with shrimp, mussels, squid and or octopus. I ate it all. I am not a fan of mussels and they were really good. Maybe I will change my mind...LOL.

I also got an order on the fish shaped Taiyaki. The handmade taiyakis are filled with sweet red beans. I was hoping that they would kind of be like a sesame ball with that red bean paste in the middle. They were cute (see the picture) a waffle fish with the sweet beans inside. They were not like a sesame ball but they were fine. I had to try them but I would not get them again.

I had not had either food choice before and I thought that I had chosen well with the noodle dish.... Not sure how other items on the menu are, but I was very satisfied. This place that piqued my interest is now off the list of new (even though it has been around) places to try. It is a keeper, but not sure when I will get back to it.

You need at least an hour for lunch if you eat this dish...LOL. It takes time. It was spicy but I like that. My nose was running which makes me happy.

Reviewed February 5, 2016

Food was good as it tasted very similar to food in Korea. The specials were good and reasonably priced considering alcohol (soju) was included. The owner is Korean and service was good. It wasn't too packed when I went and so food was served quickly.

Reviewed September 11, 2015

Who would have thought that I will have one of my best korean food in Buffalo, NY? I love Korean food and I actually enjoyed it here than other korean restaurants that I have tried in bigger cities (philadelphia, DC, boston, etc.,).

I love korean soups so I tried the following two soups: Spicy sausage stew, Boiled potato and pork bone soup. They were the best I ever had in my life and I am thinking about visiting Buffalo, NY just to have these two soups.

1  Thank Daniel L
Reviewed October 21, 2014

I visited here with my friend two days ago. Both of us was satisfied with our dishes, Budae jjigae and Sundubu jjigae with Kimchi. The taste was actually beyond my expectation. Since I was disappointed at this restaurant from my first visit about three years ago, I had never been this restaurant. Particularly, eight side dishes were all great. As a Korean, I have seldom chance to eat several side dishes that I ate in the restaurant, such as Jangjorim, Chungpomuk, Gochu Jjangachi (spicy Korean picked pepper) because it needs a lot of time and efforts to make these side dishes. Even my wife don't make these nowadays. Particularly, Gochu jjangachi reminded me of the one that my grandmother gave me when I was kid.

For me, Arirang is the best Korean restaurant in Buffalo so far.

I personally think previous reviewers experiences were authentic and relevant in many points. Although everyone has their own tastes, the restaurant is certainly worn out, the atmosphere is kind of dark, not bright, and the service was not enough friendly for me to bring my wife to enjoy Korean dishes for a special occasion.

Those who enjoy Korean food in LA, NYC, or any cities which have a lot of great Korean restaurants can think this restaurant is average, which is reasonable. But it is not fair to compare the Korean restaurant in Buffalo to those in the big cities in terms of price because it is too expensive for me to buy the ingredients to make Korean food in Korean grocery markets in Buffalo. Unfortunately, a Korean who lives in a small Korean community has no choice but spending more money to buy all those meats cut for Korean dishes, vegetables, all kinds of Korean sauces because all those are delivered from Chicago, NY, or other big cities. In sum,

Pros: Decent authentic Korean taste
Various good and authentic Korean side dishes and even refilled
Best Korean food in the area

Cons: The restaurant kind of worn out, not for special occasions
Services not so friendly
A little expensive

Tips. When I visited a new Korean restaurant located in a small Korean community in the US or Canada, I usually order any kinds of Jjigae (Korean soups) because they must be the most popular menus that Koreans eats in a daily basis. Please avoid Kalbi, Bulgogi, Jamchae, and any dishes that Korean don't order these dishes unless they already experienced the restaurant can make those dishes. (I know the above dishes must be your favorite Korean dishes).
Especially, "Kalbi" The good "Kalbi" can give you heavenly tastes but it is a dangerous choice.

It is a long review. But I really want to tell this to anyone who enjoy Korean food, not Korean in the US or Canada.

1  Thank Daysrnumber