“Comfortable hotel in great location”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This hotel is in a great location with the main streets of Newport within an easy walk. The king size bed was comfortable & it was nice to have a roof top balcony. We also used the sofa bed to accomodate our adult daughter and this was acceptable. The breakfast was pleasant on the roof deck with the home made smoothies a nice touch. it was a bit limiting for my husband who cannot eat gluten.It was hot during our vist and the air conditioner is not positioned so that it cools the room. Consequently the room at night was very hot. Thankfully we could open our balcony door for a breeze but our daughter downstairs didn't have this luxury. The bathrooms could do with an upgrade.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

Beautiful place, perfect location, very nice staff. Historic building and breakfast in the roof deck is amazing.
The room is big with separates living room and two tv. The bathroom is beautiful very tasteful.
Perfect for visit all the places in Newport without the noise of the pie.
The balconies are very nice too in a very quiet place and at the same time close to everyplace

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This was an unexpectedly beautiful hotel on the inside, and very modern. the location was perfect and central, walk every where you need to go (except the beach that you needed to drive to) the staff was lovely and accomodating. The room, the bed, the bathroom and shower were perfect. The morning breakfast layout was expansive. There was a lovely fireplace in the bedroom. It was love at first sight for me. The only negative for the inside is that the pull out sofa was very poor for comfort.
we had a second floor room with rooftop deck. Very nice. However, and this was a big problem, they have gulls nesting on the rooftop, I know they are nesting because they had a flightless chick with them. And they are somewhere right above the second floor rooms and the screaming and I do mean horrible. screaming started every morning at 5am and went on for hours. I had to get up and go out to throw things at them to try to make it stop. It was horrible. Maybe the first floor does not experience this problem. I will admit I am a light sleeper, but OMG unless you are really dead to the world you are going to be up very early in the morning. This is the one and only negative for me.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My wife and I checked in mid week in June for a few days. We had read the reviews and were expecting much more than this hotel offered. I really do not have a negative but the sparse furnishings were in need of replacement and the general "feel" of the hotel was not in keeping with the Newport scene. Our sofa was truly threadbare and there was a note from management under the cushions saying not to use it as a sleep sofa they were replacing it. I'm in the furniture business and I know how long some deliveries can take, but for the prices charged (high for what it was), they should anticipate replacements and introduce them before the shabbiness is obvious. I'd guess the owners are not checking rooms on a regular basis.

The roof top was not open as the weather was not cooperative during our visit. The breakfast was good unless you wanted some protein. All cereals and fruit. A few boiled eggs would have been a nice addition. Again, no real complaint-just expected more, and we travel about 3 months a year for business and pleasure, so we've been to many independently owned hotels and B & B's and this was average. With some better furniture and a re-theme to what Newport is all about, this would become a remarkable hotel as the brick walls and location are all there.

The service was excellent and the front desk was very attentive during check in and out.

Overall, I'd probably try another hotel next time even though the location was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grampster
Reviewed 9 July 2012

2nd trip to the Mill St In n in Newport RI. Stayed in the townhouse and it was just beautiful with a private deck, fireplace and good sized bathrooms. It's simple, quiet, clean and the staff is very helpful. We could walk to everything and am already looking to go back next year. This is a great alternative to the larger, more recognizable chain hotels in Newport. Free breakfast on the rooftop was nice too! AND they don't charge for parking which is a bonus.

Room Tip: Al the rooms have been updated,but I prefer the townhouse with the deck.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This location worked very well for us in that we prefer not to drive much. We were within easy walking distance of the downtown nightlife and harbor. And the Cliff Walk was easily reached with a bus nearby.

Rooms are sparsely decorated with modern furniture, but they've left some of the original details of the Mill up, which is a nice touch. Our room was on the first floor and had a minimum of natural light, unfortunately. Bathroom had a nice waterfall shower and was stocked with quality products, but felt a bit small for the room and price.

Staff was knowledgeable and friendly. Parking was included. Breakfast was a simple arrangement of cold items, but they really made the most of it. Don't miss the granola or the fresh-squeezed orange juice.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with my family and girlfriend. This was my second time to Newport and first time staying in the Mill Street Inn, and after our stay, I would definitely come back.

The hotel is in a great location right on the outskirts of downtown Newport. You just take a left out of the hotel and in 2 or 3 blocks you are at the harbor and in downtown. Upon check in had a very nice young man get us checked in with no problem what so ever, then offered to help us with our bags as there is no elevator in the hotel.

The hotel is located in a wonderful old brick Mill (hence the name). My girlfriend and I had a wonderful town-home style room with two stories. The mini-bar area complete with mini-fridge, tv, desk area, and couches downstairs, and then the bedroom, bathroom, fireplace and private balcony upstairs. Just a wonderful set up, with a clean room and bathroom, comfortable bed and pillows. My parents and brother had a larger room also, with dinning room table and pull out couch which was nice and clean as well.

The weather was not that great when we were there so the breakfast on the balcony at the top of the hotel was not an option, but still had a nice room set up with amazing fresh, organic options for a nice light breakfast.

My only complaint was the parking. If certain cars park certain ways, it is near impossible to back out of your spot and get out of the parking lot.

A great little get away spot for a nice weekend in Newport. I would absolutely go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family