“Compelled to make my first Trip Advisor review”
Review of Cliffside Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Cliffside Inn
Ranked #2 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Boston
“Compelled to make my first Trip Advisor review”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I Travel alot with my girlfriend and am always looking for hotels and B&B's that have good reviews. I have stayed in Newport many times. We usually stay at the Viking or the Hyatt, but have also stayed at the Chanler and a couple other B&B's. All are nice and have had no issue at any.

Now, I do want to preface that we are very easy to please. I do not always feel comfortable writing reviews because stuff that does not bother me at all, may bother others. When I read reviews I do not immediately go to the great ones or the bad ones, I look at them all and try to take them all into consideration. The things I look for in a hotel are cleanliness and decent service. Everything else is gravy.

Now with all that in mind......The Cliffside BLEW me away. Even being easy to please and never expecting much, they were able to provide such a great experience that I feel comfortable writing a review that will not mislead anybody. I feel they can appeal to any type of traveler.....easy to please or impossible to please. Never have I met inn keepers so friendly and genuine at the same time. They truly care about each and every guest. They are inviting and helpful. They really know the area and are eager to ensure you have a great time at the inn and around Newport.

Now I will provide a little bit of why everything was so great!

We stayed in the Garden Suite on February 27th and checked out on February 29th.

On our way down, I remembered that I had a coupon that I intended to use and realized as we got into Newport that I had forgot it. So as we went to check in, I was nervous that I would have to make arrangements to pay the full balance, which I did not plan for, or get the coupon to them during the weekend. Well it didn't matter because Bill honored the coupon and allowed me to bring it to them the next weekend! I was very relieved. (I dropped it off to them the following Sunday)

Once there we were shown to our room from the woman at the front desk. (Very nice as well)
The room had two fireplaces, a big window, two tvs, a large jetted tub, heated floors, a library nook and an outdoor patio. Everything was clean and very modern. We enjoyed our room so much that we found ourselves hurrying back from being out in Newport to spend more time there. Also, each night we came back from dinner there were always amazing chocolate dipped cookies waiting by the bed. I was lucky to get them the first night because the next night they came my girlfriend promptly ate them on me!

At 5 o'clock each night, they have wine and hor' dourves. Each occasion provided a different variety of snacks and they were all so tasty! We even got a chance to sit by the fire and have a glass of wine with Bill and Nancy while getting some great insight as to how they got started and how the building was turned into an inn.

The next part is Breakfast. There is either a hot special and eggs any way if you do not like the special. Well, we loved the hot special so no need for the eggs. We had homemade blueberry sauce on the pancakes one morning and some amazing sausage with a great egg wrap the next. They also have homemade muffins that were delicious and french press coffee.

One of the only things we did while in Newport was walk the cliffwalk and spend time at the beaches. The cliffwalk was just down a short dead end road and very convenient. It was so nice to not have to worry about parking your car and hoping on the cliffwalk at the other designated areas.

Overall we had a great time. Cliffiside is conveniently located, has great rooms and great inn keepers. This is the first vacation I have ever relaxed on and did not feel the need to fill up with activities. We felt at home and comfortable. We are planning our next trip and are telling everyone that will listen to go down to Newport and stay here.

Thanks for such a great time!

G and A

Room Tip: The Garden suite is AMAZING...but if you are not comfortable with stairs then the room isn't for...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gthomas17
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you so much for writing that incredible review! We really do strive to get to know every guest (that wants to chat) and make their stay great. We so enjoyed talking to you that night by the fire and finding out all about your backgrounds as well. Can't wait to come by the store and try some of the goodies fresh! Looking forward to seeing you back in Newport soon.

Nancy and Bill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We had an amazing one night honeymoon. Bill and Nancy made us feel welcome and comfortable in the Inn. They went above and beyond to make our special night one we will always remember. We especially appreciated their willingness to accommodate a special gluten free diet by making an amazing breakfast and making sure that there were gluten free appetizers for the wine and cheese hour. Room was beautiful and romantic.

Thanks again!
Michelle and Bruce

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Michelle and Bruce -

We are so pleased that you chose the Cliffside Inn for the Newport section of your honeymoon and that you enjoyed the St. George's Suite. It was wonderful having you here. Bill is slowly becoming an expert at cooking gluten-free food and we are really pleased that you enjoyed his selections. Hope the rest of your trip went well.

Best,
Nancy and Bill
Fanwood, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from spending two lovely evenings at the Cliffside Inn. The Trip Advisor reviews were right on. Innkeeper Bill and his staff made us feel like family rather than guests. Our room, the Loft, was better than depicted on the website. Breakfasts and the afternoon receptions were a time to enjoy good food and pleasant company. The location was great, being so close to the Cliff Walk and all the sights of Newport. We look forward to returning very soon and our only regret was that we did not meet Bill"s wife, Nancy, who was away. Hope to meet you Nancy on our next visit!

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
I am so pleased you enjoyed the Loft. It is such a cozy room. I am sorry that I missed you and hope that you will be back at the Cliffside soon for some more bliss!

Nancy (and Bill)
Newtown, CT
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a getaway to Newport. The owner, Bill, is terrific! His wife was away, so we didn't get to meet her. They redecorated the whole Inn recently, and it is beautiful! Lots of Victorian charm with modern amenities. Only steps from the Cliff Walk which was great! We stayed in the Tower Suite which is very unique. Has it's own separate entrance. A luxurious bathroom with fluffy towels and robes is on the first floor - with a huge whirlpool tub and a separate shower. Felt like I was in a spa! Upstairs is a lovely bedroom with views of the water. The window side of the room is octagonal with a gas fireplace and a built-in window seat that is up two steps where you can relax and read a book or gaze out at the view. The ceiling is open all the way up to the top of the tower with small windows in the top bringing in lots of natural light. We had great breakfasts of orange french toast and ricotta egg wraps. Afternoon tea one afternoon with lots of home baked treats and a wine and cheese party the next evening! Delicious cookies at bedtime! Bill is very hospitable and knowledgable about the area with great recommendations for dining and sightseeing. His staff was wonderful and accomodated our every request. One recommendation from Bill was Anthony's Seafood in Middletown-- it is terrific for very fresh seafood in a relaxed, casual setting. Absolutely loved the Portugese Fish Chowder! Yum!! We have stayed at quite a few B&Bs and this one is at the top of our list! Definitely number one! We hope to go back in the Fall!

Room Tip: Tower Suite has a phenominal view and is very private!
1 Thank CasRei
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Well, I hope you come back soon because I am sorry I was out of town and not able to meet you. I just love that view from the Tower Suite - particularly when the fire pit is on. The Ricotta Scrambled wrap is my favorite breakfast! Simple, yet delicious. So glad you enjoyed your stay and I do hope you'll be back soon.

Best,
Nancy
Beacon, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This was the first romantic weekend away for me and my boyfriend and it was a truly wonderful experience. Bill showed us to our room and we were welcomed with champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and soft music playing in the background.

The Inn is beautiful with old class charm and modern amenities. We stayed in the Tower Suite and I would highly recommend it. It is adjacent to the main house but with more privacy and a view to die for. Bill and Nancy were very helpful in letting us know what activities to enjoy in the town as well as some great suggestions for dining. I don't think I'll ever stay at a traditional hotel again, and certainly not when in Newport. As a previous reviewer states, there is a reason why Cliffside Inn is rated number one.

Room Tip: The Tower Suite is quiet with a private entrance adjacent to the main house. It overlooks the fire p...
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
We are thrilled you enjoyed the Garden Suite and thank you for that wonderful review. You really encapsulated the mission we strive for at the Cliffside Inn. Nancy is sorry that she missed other New Jerseyans and hopes that you will come up again soon. We really do appreciate your comments and the time you took to post them.

Bill
Reading, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a weekend get away. Bill and his staff were fantastic hosts! We usually stay at hotels, so this was somewhat new to us. The rooms were immaculate with so many nice, little touches-beautiful towels, fireplace in each room, homemade cookies each night. My husbands breakfast of eggs over crab cakes with hollandaise sauce was his favorite (especially with Bill's homemade "rub" for the breakfast sausage) Fantastic place...can't wait to go back in the warmer weather and sit in the yard with the beautiful fire pit!

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
We are glad that your weekend getaway with us was so enjoyable, and that you decided to try staying at an inn, as an alternative to a hotel for your Newport experience. Thank you for posting the thoughtful comments about your Cliffside Inn stay.

Our "Eggs Newport"...a Cliffside Inn variation on Eggs Benedict (homemade crab cakes instead of ham) is a guest favorite - I'm glad that they were a hit. We had the official re-lighting of the firepit on March 17th since winter seemed to have vanished and the weather is beginning to feel more summer-like every day...(we'll probably get a blizzard next week after that comment!).

Thank you again for the feedback - it means a lot to all of us here at Cliffside to know that our guests are enjoying their time with us. We look forward to your next visit.

All the best.

Bill, Nancy (back home now) and the staff.
Forked River, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We recently stayed two nights at the Cliffside Inn in Newport and really enjoyed it for being our first time visiting there. Aside from a great location being steps away from the cliffwalk, a beach, the mansions and bellevue ave, the hospitality we received from the minute we walked in to the minute we left was what impacted us the most. We received warm greetings each day, and coffee/tea made fresh whenever requested. The breakfast each day was professional, well presented and best of all tasted wonderful. The 5pm wine tasting was great - a nice quiet sit down with hors devours served where the owner was happy to not only answer any questions, but went above and beyond in getting to know each person there. The room was also amazing - what was offered on the website and presented there was exactly what was waiting for us, which was really nice. There was really nothing that we could complain about in all aspects of the trip. We recommend this place VERY highly for anyone, and any age for that matter, who desires a calm, relaxing vacation at a place where you feel like you are being treated like you are the only people there. GREAT place, we can't wait to come back!