“A great B&B” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cliffside Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Cliffside Inn
Ranked #2 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A great B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Very cosy B&B in Newport, close to the beach and the 3 Mile Cliffwalk.
Bill and Nancy were full of great recommendations and very helpful.
Highly recommended!

2 Thank Paulothetraveller
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for your review. It was great to have you at the Cliffside Inn and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will come back again soon.

Nancy and Bill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

What an amazing stay we had last week, just what both my husband and I needed! Bill, the innkeeper, made so many great recommendations, including the chowder at Black Pearl, glassblowing at Thames Glass and dinner at Mama Luisa's. When we weren't exploring the town, we were filling our stomachs on the fabulous apps and amazing breakfasts. The proximity to the Cliff Walk made for great morning runs. Newport is a great escape and the Cliffside Inn is the best place to stay! We extended our stay and did get to meet Nancy. Kudos to you both...great job, you have a gem on your hands. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Big fan of both the Blue Room and the Adele Room, but am looking forward to trying every single one!
1 Thank Kate J
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
We are so glad that after three days with us, you wanted one more and stayed Friday night too so Nancy had the opportunity to meet you. A little jet lagged Saturday morning after the trip, so hopefully you will be back soon so you can get a better impression! We are so happy that we were able to provide you with a wonderful and relaxing stay.

Best regards,
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

There isn't a better B&B in Newport, and certainly no better or more personable innkeepers! Our Stay at The Cliffside Inn was lovely, thanks to Bill and Nancy and their attention to details. Everything exceeded our expectations, including our room(the Blue Room), the afternoon hors d'oeurves, and the delicious, inventive breakfasts.
We happened to stay during a stretch of unseasonably warm weather for March and were able to enjoy time relaxing on the porch and at the fire pit.
An added bonus was being steps from the Cliff Walk and very near the Breakers and other mansions.

1 Thank senoraohora
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you so much for your review. It was great to have you here with us. That was a very busy Sunday and it was great to see you and all of the guests getting to know one another, as well as, for us to spend some time with you. I really find the Blue Room quite cozy and are thrilled that you liked it too.

Hope you are both well.
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I Travel alot with my girlfriend and am always looking for hotels and B&B's that have good reviews. I have stayed in Newport many times. We usually stay at the Viking or the Hyatt, but have also stayed at the Chanler and a couple other B&B's. All are nice and have had no issue at any.

Now, I do want to preface that we are very easy to please. I do not always feel comfortable writing reviews because stuff that does not bother me at all, may bother others. When I read reviews I do not immediately go to the great ones or the bad ones, I look at them all and try to take them all into consideration. The things I look for in a hotel are cleanliness and decent service. Everything else is gravy.

Now with all that in mind......The Cliffside BLEW me away. Even being easy to please and never expecting much, they were able to provide such a great experience that I feel comfortable writing a review that will not mislead anybody. I feel they can appeal to any type of traveler.....easy to please or impossible to please. Never have I met inn keepers so friendly and genuine at the same time. They truly care about each and every guest. They are inviting and helpful. They really know the area and are eager to ensure you have a great time at the inn and around Newport.

Now I will provide a little bit of why everything was so great!

We stayed in the Garden Suite on February 27th and checked out on February 29th.

On our way down, I remembered that I had a coupon that I intended to use and realized as we got into Newport that I had forgot it. So as we went to check in, I was nervous that I would have to make arrangements to pay the full balance, which I did not plan for, or get the coupon to them during the weekend. Well it didn't matter because Bill honored the coupon and allowed me to bring it to them the next weekend! I was very relieved. (I dropped it off to them the following Sunday)

Once there we were shown to our room from the woman at the front desk. (Very nice as well)
The room had two fireplaces, a big window, two tvs, a large jetted tub, heated floors, a library nook and an outdoor patio. Everything was clean and very modern. We enjoyed our room so much that we found ourselves hurrying back from being out in Newport to spend more time there. Also, each night we came back from dinner there were always amazing chocolate dipped cookies waiting by the bed. I was lucky to get them the first night because the next night they came my girlfriend promptly ate them on me!

At 5 o'clock each night, they have wine and hor' dourves. Each occasion provided a different variety of snacks and they were all so tasty! We even got a chance to sit by the fire and have a glass of wine with Bill and Nancy while getting some great insight as to how they got started and how the building was turned into an inn.

The next part is Breakfast. There is either a hot special and eggs any way if you do not like the special. Well, we loved the hot special so no need for the eggs. We had homemade blueberry sauce on the pancakes one morning and some amazing sausage with a great egg wrap the next. They also have homemade muffins that were delicious and french press coffee.

One of the only things we did while in Newport was walk the cliffwalk and spend time at the beaches. The cliffwalk was just down a short dead end road and very convenient. It was so nice to not have to worry about parking your car and hoping on the cliffwalk at the other designated areas.

Overall we had a great time. Cliffiside is conveniently located, has great rooms and great inn keepers. This is the first vacation I have ever relaxed on and did not feel the need to fill up with activities. We felt at home and comfortable. We are planning our next trip and are telling everyone that will listen to go down to Newport and stay here.

Thanks for such a great time!

G and A

Room Tip: The Garden suite is AMAZING...but if you are not comfortable with stairs then the room isn't for...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gthomas17
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you so much for writing that incredible review! We really do strive to get to know every guest (that wants to chat) and make their stay great. We so enjoyed talking to you that night by the fire and finding out all about your backgrounds as well. Can't wait to come by the store and try some of the goodies fresh! Looking forward to seeing you back in Newport soon.

All the best,
Altamonte Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We had an amazing one night honeymoon. Bill and Nancy made us feel welcome and comfortable in the Inn. They went above and beyond to make our special night one we will always remember. We especially appreciated their willingness to accommodate a special gluten free diet by making an amazing breakfast and making sure that there were gluten free appetizers for the wine and cheese hour. Room was beautiful and romantic.

Thanks again!
Michelle and Bruce

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Michelle and Bruce -

We are so pleased that you chose the Cliffside Inn for the Newport section of your honeymoon and that you enjoyed the St. George's Suite. It was wonderful having you here. Bill is slowly becoming an expert at cooking gluten-free food and we are really pleased that you enjoyed his selections. Hope the rest of your trip went well.

Fanwood, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from spending two lovely evenings at the Cliffside Inn. The Trip Advisor reviews were right on. Innkeeper Bill and his staff made us feel like family rather than guests. Our room, the Loft, was better than depicted on the website. Breakfasts and the afternoon receptions were a time to enjoy good food and pleasant company. The location was great, being so close to the Cliff Walk and all the sights of Newport. We look forward to returning very soon and our only regret was that we did not meet Bill"s wife, Nancy, who was away. Hope to meet you Nancy on our next visit!

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
I am so pleased you enjoyed the Loft. It is such a cozy room. I am sorry that I missed you and hope that you will be back at the Cliffside soon for some more bliss!

All the best,
Nancy (and Bill)
Newtown, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a getaway to Newport. The owner, Bill, is terrific! His wife was away, so we didn't get to meet her. They redecorated the whole Inn recently, and it is beautiful! Lots of Victorian charm with modern amenities. Only steps from the Cliff Walk which was great! We stayed in the Tower Suite which is very unique. Has it's own separate entrance. A luxurious bathroom with fluffy towels and robes is on the first floor - with a huge whirlpool tub and a separate shower. Felt like I was in a spa! Upstairs is a lovely bedroom with views of the water. The window side of the room is octagonal with a gas fireplace and a built-in window seat that is up two steps where you can relax and read a book or gaze out at the view. The ceiling is open all the way up to the top of the tower with small windows in the top bringing in lots of natural light. We had great breakfasts of orange french toast and ricotta egg wraps. Afternoon tea one afternoon with lots of home baked treats and a wine and cheese party the next evening! Delicious cookies at bedtime! Bill is very hospitable and knowledgable about the area with great recommendations for dining and sightseeing. His staff was wonderful and accomodated our every request. One recommendation from Bill was Anthony's Seafood in Middletown-- it is terrific for very fresh seafood in a relaxed, casual setting. Absolutely loved the Portugese Fish Chowder! Yum!! We have stayed at quite a few B&Bs and this one is at the top of our list! Definitely number one! We hope to go back in the Fall!

Room Tip: Tower Suite has a phenominal view and is very private!
1 Thank CasRei
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Well, I hope you come back soon because I am sorry I was out of town and not able to meet you. I just love that view from the Tower Suite - particularly when the fire pit is on. The Ricotta Scrambled wrap is my favorite breakfast! Simple, yet delicious. So glad you enjoyed your stay and I do hope you'll be back soon.

Nancy