New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #19 of 102 Newport B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Quaint hotel, FANTASTIC staff, excellent location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

My fiance and I spent three nights at the Harborside Inn in early June, 2011 during a weekend getaway. Our experience was extremely pleasant from start to finish.

The woman that checked us in was very polite and helpful and we were quickly shown to our room. The rooms themselves are pretty basic, but they are certainly far nicer than any other accommodations that you could find in Newport for a similar price. They were also clean and the beds were very comfortable.

The continental breakfast and afternoon cookies that are served in their dining room were both delicious and very much appreciated.

Having parking space was a great perk and we were within a short walk to all of the downtown attractions.

A quick note...

About 15 minutes after check-in, I turned on the TV and the cable box shot out a spark and then began to smoke. I called the front desk and they apologized profusely and the hotel manager came by our room personally to remedy the situation and to give us some great recommendations on local restaurants. We were given a new cable box within 30 minutes and the problem was solved. Issues like this could arise at any hotel. What separates good establishments from bad ones is the way that these problems are addressed by the staff, and I think that Harborside Inn handled the whole affair spectacularly.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

My new husband and I went there for our honeymoon, just looking for something nice and relaxing. We got it here! The hotel is very small, and basically just rooms-but we had the bi-level suite with a view of the city, and it was perfect! The staff was great, helping me to re-arrange my daysand were super accomodating. I have already reccomended it to several couples interested in staying in newport without spending ridiculous amounts of money!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

If you can get a good rate, I'd recommend this place. Most of the staff were pleasant. The room & bath were nice and clean (except for the window blinds). The furnishings are acceptable; though some updating could be done. The balcony is small but can fit 2. The loft is a good set-up for a family with older kids; know that the ceiling upstairs is low in places. Even though the loft is small, it gave my teens their own space and TV. The included breakfast is much more than a continental. Along with the norm, they offered quiche, boiled eggs, and homemade baked goods. We didn't hear any outside noise as other reviewers did, but the noisy plumbing in a nearby room did wake me up one night. The location is wonderful; walking distance to everything except the beach and mansions. To have free parking is key. As long as they keep the rates affordable, the Harborside Inn is a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

This was our first trip to Newport and I was excited to go. We booked last minute for Memorial day weekend. I was able to secure a water view room. Starting from speaking to the young lady on the phone when making the reservation to Abby who checked us out on Sunday- the staff was pleasant, accommodating and down right friendly! I travel alot for business and personal reasons and the staff was amoungst the friendliest I have encountered. The location is perfect for walking to all different areas. The parking out front is a huge bonus! The home- made continental breakfast on the weekends was home cooked and delicious. It is nice to be able to start the day with a quick OJ- tea- some fresh pastry and some fruit! Drew greeted his guests personally on weekend nights with a nice Wine and Cheese cocktail hour. They served wine form the local winery that is in Newport. Nice added touch and a good plug for them.... Room was decent size, clean and I loved that they had a 'sitting area" so you can sit and chat., play cards or watch TV. The balcony off of room #12 is small- but enough room for the 2 chairs provided to sit and watch the boats. Bathroom had nice products, if you forget any. Also irons, blow dryers and refrigerator are again all added bonuses! There is a kitchenette off of the breakfast room, so if you needed a plate, glass or silverware you could borrow it from there. Also a microwave in the kitchen. Coffee is provided all day as well as a Poland Springs bubbler- again great added touches! Speaking of Poland Springs- Loved the 2 bottles offered in the room daily. All these little small things- free parking- continental breakfast- water and coffee- make the value of this property. Again Drew/Jane/Abby and others went truly out of there way to make our stay very enjoyable. Already ready to book another visit in a few weeks! As with some other reviews- An upgraded TV would be nice and the bedding is not the most comfortable. But these small things are very "forgivable" based on everything else.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CvB_11, Public Relations Manager at Harborside Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Dear dphickey,
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write this after your stay with us at the Harborside Inn.
Our staff strives for each guest to feel welcome and comfortable. So nice to have you here, glad you enjoyed your weekend in Newport.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Courtney van Beuren
Atlantic Stars Hotels & Cruises
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

I didnt have a great start to my adventure leaving my backpack in the shuttle but management went out of their way to assist me and had it returned to me that evening. She made numerous calls and allayed my fears about its return. Harbour facing room was clean and tidy with t.v. good bath products, and a scrumptious breakfast every morning. Be aware there are very steep stairs to get to your room and that it is an inn. Be prepared to do a lot of walking if you do not have a car however a quick trip to the information office will assist with trolley information. If you want something comfortable and different to run of the mill hotels then I would try the inn. As stated in other reviews the maids did knock on your door very early even though the dnd was placed. I think they need to remember that guests are on holidays and some days we like to lie in.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the inn. We have been to Newport many time but stayed with family except this time. Our room had a king bed and a balcony with a view of the harbor. The room was spacious and clean with nice decor. It was vey comfortable. Updated televisions would be a nice touch. Breakfast was good. Hard boiled eggs, French toast, yogurt, and quiche were some of the items provided for breakfast. Fresh coffee was available in the breakast room all day. That room has a view of the harbor. The manager and her staff were very warm and extremely helpful. They even let us use the front desk computer. Over all this place us not over the top but it was very comfortable for us. We felt right at home. We will be back
very soon. Stayed in many places and this is one of our favorites thanks again Harborside. You all were great!!!!

• Stayed November 2010
Southern California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

Stayed here for one night during an east coast road trip with my daughter. I am 60 years old and have doney share of traveling. I must say that fir the money this is by far one of the worst places I have been. Our room was creepy and dirty! There was hair in the bath tub upon our checking in and
not from someone's scalp! Yuck. The beds were hard as a rock and the so called linens were terrible. The maids were rude and abrasive. Thank goodness I was only booked for one night as I would have not stayed longer. No services are available and our room phone did
not even work. Sorry to be so negative but I felt compelled to share my bad experience in the hopes of helping others.

• Stayed October 2010