“They Do it Right Every Time” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hydrangea House Inn

Hydrangea House Inn
Ranked #3 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Connecticut USA
“They Do it Right Every Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Dennis and Grant make a fantastic team. This was our third stay and we will probably go back every year to decompress after the holidays. They give you as much or as little attention as you need. We always bring some extra bottles of wine and champagne and they are more than happy to get us ice buckets, openers, glasses and will even supply plates for cheeses and such. FYI, there is a fantastic cheese and smoked meat store right next door.
The rooms are all over the top and tastefully decorated. Make sure to get a room w/ a big tub, most have them. This really is a perfect place for a romantic trip and it's far enough away from the wharf area so it's pretty quiet but certainly within walking distance. It's expensive but they do run some sales sometimes on two day stays, they guys are always very reasonable. But hey you get what you pay for.
Also, they do wine and cheese in the evening and the breakfast is outstanding!
Wish we were there now.
Can't wait to come again,
Brandon and Amy

Room Tip: Get a room w/ a fireplace and a big tub!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank heardinggroup

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Holliston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

I just returned from an absolutely wonderful three-night stay at the Hydrangea House Inn. As a Massachusetts resident, I usually spend time in Newport during the summer, and that time has usually been day trips. My recent stay was a whole new experience as I had the opportunity to rediscover this amazing city by the sea in a totally different way. My stay at the Hydrangea House Inn was amazing, and Dennis and Grant could not have been more warm and welcoming. The breakfasts were delicious, and afternoon wine and cheese just hit the spot. I was in the Carrie in Paris room which was delightful, and Lisa does a great job of keeping the rooms sparkling. The Inn is in a great location on Bellevue Avenue so I was able to do a lot of walking. I very much appreciated the on-site parking at no extra charge! I definitely look forward to my next stay at the Blue Hydrangea Inn. Don't forget to stop by La Maison de Coco at 28 Bellevue Avenue for delicious truffles, tarts and teas.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Patrizia34
Grant E, Owner at Hydrangea House Inn, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
How nice it was of you to write such a wonderful review. Grant and I really do appreciate your effort.
And talk about being nice, you were such a sweet and delightful guest! I enjoyed your company and our conversations each and every day.
You are so right about seeing Newport in a whole different way when you stay overnight as opposed to a day trip. Newport has so much to offer.
I’ll pass along your comments to Lisa as she will be delighted to know that her hard work is noticed. S
I know you came to Newport for very special personnel reasons and I am so happy to be able to contribute to the good memories you made during your stay .
All our best to you and we hope to see you again real soon !

Dennis Blair
Owner/ Innkeeper
Hydrangea House Inn
La La Land
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

My wife and I spent New Years 2012 with Dennis, Grant and Rosie. We needed some alone time and a chance to let our post-holiday stress wash down the drain of the excellent steam bath shower in our room.
If you want to stay in a beautiful home with innkeepers who take pleasure in sharing their home with you… this is your place. We’ve found a new home away from home in Newport.

1 Thank cjm02767
Grant E, Owner at Hydrangea House Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
We are so glad that you were able to “de-stress” at Hydrangea House after this past holiday season. Newport is the perfect place for that. Enjoy all that Newport has to offer ( which is quite extensive any time of year) or do nothing at all and relax in your suite by the fireplace, in the spa tub or in the steam bath. Thank you for your kind remarks on TripAdvisor. It means a lot to us.
Cumberland, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

What an amazing gem in the city by the sea. On a recent visit to Newport for a girls getaway we were impressed by the accomodations and excellent service at the Hydangea House. The rooms are exquisite and make you feel like you're a guest at one of the mansions!
The inn is centrally located and within walking distance to restaurants, shopping and the wharf area. Important to note because parking can be a problem especially in summer months. Dennis and Grant are gracious innkeepers who go above and beyond to make their guest's stay in Newport enjoyable. While we were there they helped a young man plan a very romantic wedding proposal to his girlfiend at Castle Hill. That really impressed us and we enjoyed sharing a toast with the newly engaged couple. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Winter Garden Suite KIng bed converts to two twins
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ES27
Grant E, Owner at Hydrangea House Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Girls just gotta have fun !! We are so happy you choose Hydrangea House Inn for part of your fun night out with the girls. We had a great time right along with you!
Part of our enjoyment as innkeepers is to help guests plan those very special occasions…like, when a nervous guy is making his plan to ask that special someone to marry him. Special occasions call for special arrangements and we are here to encourage and advise for those very special times.
Dennis and Grant
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We needed to get out of dodge and we got a recommendation from a family member to stay here. We stayed in the Chesterfield Suite for two nights and it was excellent. Dennis answered all of the questions we had pointing use in the right direction of things to do in town. Grant made *delicious* breakfasts both mornings. Lisa kept our room spotless. We can't wait to go back.

1 Thank wa_ha_ka
Grant E, Owner at Hydrangea House Inn, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Grant and I are very pleased that your stay here at Hydrangea House turned out so well. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review here on Trip Advisor. We certainly appreciate it. And I will pass on your comments to Lisa. She will be so happy that her hard work has been recognized.
Best wishes for the New Year!
Dennis Blair
long island, new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

My husband and I been staying at The Hydrangea every year for almost a decade. There is no where else I would stay while visiting my favorite city. The rooms are elegant and beautifully decorated. The multi-course breakfast is amazing. Wine and cheese in the afternoon, and the nightly homemade cookies are a delicious treat. Grant and Dennis are wonderful innkeepers. They are warm, friendly, and are always there to do everything to make their guests feel welcome. Their attention to detail throughout the inn never fails to impress. In my opinion- The Hydrangea should be number one on trip advisor.
I look forward to our annual visit next December.

Room Tip: carrie in paris suite is my favorite room
1 Thank mj101102
Grant E, Owner at Hydrangea House Inn, responded to this review, 21 December 2011
So many times I am asked if I like being an innkeeper. When I answer, I can’t help but think of the wonderful people that have passed through the doors of Hydrangea House. How can I not love this job when I am greeted with a big hug from you every time you arrive? Melissa and Jimmy, you help make this a wonderful profession. Thank you for all your support over these many years. Grant and I are truly grateful. Love you guys!
Dennis
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

We loved our stay here. We rented the French Country room on the second floor. Fireplace. Cozy reading chairs. The bed was incredibly soft and fluffy. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The French Country Room faced the alley way so it was quiet. The larger rooms faced the main street.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MandMNewYork
We are so happy that you loved your stay in The French Country Room. We love this room with a cozy corner fireplace and the warm french country colors of blue, yellow and white. We enjoyed your company and our interesting breakfast chats.
Thank you so much for your kind words. All our best to you both
Grant and Dennis