“Terribly Rude Service”

Ranked #44 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
NYC
“Terribly Rude Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Nightmare experience. After I confirmed my reservation via phone, and received an email confirmation a week before my arrival, I received a voice mail - shortly thereafter - notifying me that my reservation had been canceled. By the time I could call back (same afternoon), I was told that the room had been rented to someone else. I was absolutely baffled, and the proprietor offered no apology whatsoever, and was quite rude in his effort to evade responsibility and shift blame to me. I had never had such a terrible and exasperating customer service experience. I was left scrambling to find another B&B at the last second of a festival weekend, and the proprietor offered no help. He couldn't have been less concerned or more arrogant. While the B&B may be lovely, and I would never - never - consider staying there again. Reserve at your own risk.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SeaCloudNYC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Cleveland House last Saturday night to attend a wedding on Goat Island. From the moment we walked in and were personally greeted by the owner Rick, we knew we had chosen the right place! Our room was comfortable and charming and the bathroom even had a jacuzzi tub. We will definitely return to the Cleveland House the next time we're in Newport. This place is the best value in Newport, hands down!

Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

You can't go wrong staying here. Dave and Rick go out of their way to help. The location is perfect for walking everywhere. Once you park your car, you really don't need it again.
Breakfast was next door and a little disjointed, but not because of staff.

There is a communal breakfast table that was dominated by three couples that droned on endlessly,even though they were done eating. With six people waiting I'm not sure if it was oblivion or rudeness. Probably both.
Great place though, you'll really like it here.

1 Thank outhere28
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed at the Cleveland House on 26/09/2011. We had booked the cheapest room available, but were offered the chance to choose an alternative room if we wanted to, for an additional charge. After a quick look we were happy with our initial selection, but it was nice to be asked. The room was fine, small but comfortable and very clean. Continental breakfast and off-street parking were included. The location is fantastic, on a quiet street just a short walk from the action.

Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

On a recent trip through New England, we stayed at the Cleveland House. We stayed at wonderful historic inns and bed and breakfasts. until we arrived at the Cleveland House. Maybe we were spoiled at all of the other places, but this one fell short! Parking was a problem, the rooms were greatly in need of renovation, we had to go to another inn for breakfast. It seemed more like a European hostel, not a bed and breakfast as we know them. I generously give a 3 star rating to this place.

Room Tip: Read several reviews before picking a place to stay.
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

My husband and I just celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We were looking for an inexpensive Inn in Newport and found the perfect place. When we arrived, the Staff was very helpful. We chose a room where the bathroom and shower were just inches outsides of our door. Honestly, I mean inches and it was still perfect. Everything was so clean. We also had a choice of a hot or cold breakfast. Rick and Jeff, who are the hosts, were extremely helpful. This is the Perfect Inn for a perfect time away from home. I would return again and would recommend this Inn as a place to stay.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

We attended the 2011 Newport International Boat Show and stayed at the Cleveland House. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The service was very friendly. Rick and Jeff helped me in arranging dinner at the Mooring to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. Also, Jeff suggested a liquor store and a chocolatier that I can contact to order champagne and chocolates. My boyfriend was surprised with the bottle of champagne and assortment of chocolates in our room. The chocolate covered strawberries were delicious.

Breakfast was wonderful…it was like we were home relaxing over coffee while reading the newspaper. My boyfriend especially liked reading the boating magazines over toast.

The best part was that the Wharf, the restaurants, taverns, and historic Newport were within walking distance of the Cleveland House. We parked the car upon our arrival and did not have to deal with it until our departure. The Cleveland House has offstreet parking which is a necessity in Newport.

Overall, our stay was memorable and a great bargain.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor are preferable. You could open the window and get a nice cool breeze...