All reviews clarke cooke parking spot coffee grinder newport harbor location is amazing one night walking distance restaurants and shops banister tv microwave thames
Reviewed February 21, 2017

Visited on a snowy weekend. Arrived early to beat the storm. Had brunch at Clarke Cooke House and our keys to the room were brought to our table. Clean room, nautical styling, right on the harbor. I bundled up and sat on the patio overlooking the water. It was great. No boats, no outdoor restaurants open, no shoppers walking around. Very peaceful. Judging from the pictures I have seen in the summertime, I don't know if I would have liked it so much. It looks noisy and crowded, but I might try!

Room Tip: Room 4 is great
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Bannisters_Wharf, Manager at Bannister's Wharf Guest Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2017

Murf57, thank you for your review! So glad you enjoyed Bannister's on a lovely winter weekend. It's indeed a gem and offers a unique, quintessential Newport experience. It is busy during summer but the view from the marina of the yachts is amazing. Again, thank you and hope to see you all again soon! Very sincerely, management

Reviewed January 17, 2017

We just spent an overnight stay at Bannisters Wharf guestrooms in January. The only issue was finding out how to check in, which turned out to be a restaurant in walking distance. The room was was very clean and nicely decorated. The room was actually on the wharf! you open up your door and the water was right there! A truly unique experience! There are a lot of little shops and restaurants to walk to. Parking was a bit of a challenge, but there are parking lots in the area! I loved our overnight stay, I am sure it must be spectacular in the summer!

Room Tip: we found this on groupon and got a very good deal.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2016

The four of stayed at the Bannister's Wharf and what a great place to stay!! The rooms are perfect for someone wanting to get away and do a little eating, sight seeing, drinking and dancing!!! Definitely going back!! Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable and the view was AWESOME!!!

Room Tip: View looks over the bay, you can enjoy all the boats and it is centrally located to all restaurants, bars, and gift shops.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2016

This was our first time in Newport, it was truly BEAUTIFUL!! You wake up to a beautiful view of the water. We went during the summer so we got to have a front row seat to some fantastic yachts. Located right next to Bowen's Wharf, surrounded by cute shops and tons of places to grab a bite. A lot of other shops like on Thames Street are in walking distance. As was St. Mary's Church and Touro Synagogue. Although filled with tourists, there is still so much history and beauty to take in!

THE BAD: The only reason I cannot give this place 5 stars is because the parking is a disaster. They have only a few reserved spots for guests located right near the hotel rooms at the end of the wharf. Although convenient, the road also doubles as a sidewalk. There is little room to back up and it is a nightmare to leave because of the amount of oblivious tourists. It took about 10 minutes to go up and down the street. The road should have more obvious signage or a crosswalk to show pedestrians that they are walking along an active street. Even better, there is a large parking lot right next door that the hotel should consider renting spots from!

Keep in mind the tourists around here don't start to walk around town until after 1pm. Take advantage of the calm and quiet scene before then!

TO CONSIDER: As for the other reviews that mention noise complainants, we stayed in Waterfront Room 2 above the coffee shop. We couldn't hear a thing! We could hardly even hear the live music or loud noise during the evenings when dinner time was in full effect. Although there is not a real sense of privacy when staying here, the customers of the coffee shop hang out at the dock below. Unfortunately, I did not feel I could leave the blinds open during our entire stay. The staircase to the rooms is also not locked or roped off. One night we went back to our room and tourists who were not guests were sitting on one of the private guest decks. The room itself was very cozy. Wifi was a little shotty, but didn't mind since we didn't need it much! TV is small but has cable. Bathroom is clean and has good water pressure. Wood floor so bring slippers! The comforter was dingy but sheets were fine. We booked our room via Groupon and the price was amazing for location and it was a perfect 2 night stay.

Room Tip: Pick a waterfront room!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crissy A
Reviewed August 11, 2016

Bannister Wharf is phenomenal. It has the old cottage, beachy feel of New England. The rooms are roomy and clean. Staff is very helpful and friendly. The one thing that you absolutely can NOT take away from the wharf is the peace, beauty and tranquility of the waterfront decks for rooms 1-4. My husband and I have spent every one of my birthdays there for the past five years. I love the ambiance, people watching from the deck and dreaming of all those yachts and the people on them ! Sitting in the Adirondack chairs on the deck all day would make me very happy !Everything that you could want in Newport is within walking distance. Parking is right out front for free and unless you want to, you never have to move it until you leave! My only complaint would be to upgrade their televisions with some larger ones, (on sale at Walmart on Black Friday ! ) Other than that we will be calling in September to book our room for next August. Read about all the groupon tickets, gonna have to check those out :) Talk to you soon Kelly !

Room Tip: Waterfront rooms 1-4
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple