“Amazing food!! ”

Ranked #4 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$3 - US$8
Cuisines: European, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Chef / Owners Matt & Anna Tscheulin welcome you to visit Rosemary & Thyme , a small artisan style bakery and cafe located in historic downtown Newport, R.I. All our baked goods , pasteries, soups , salads, and atisan sandwiches are scratch made daily in our kitchen . All daily leftovers are donated to our local food pantry. We invite you to spend some time with us
Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

Stopped in for a quick coffee and left with a full, happy stomach. Ended up getting a 'European' sandwich and it was the best sandwich I've ever had. The chocolate croissants have a layer of Nutella in them and they are so good it's almost addicting. Will definitely be back, I highly recommend stopping in for lunch!

1  Thank Kaileigh L
There are newer reviews for Rosemary and Thyme Cafe

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

Rosemary & Thyme is hands down the best place I have ever visited. Looks are deceiving, but in the best way possible. My boyfriend and I were immediately greeted with a smile and cheerful, "Good morning!" I told her we had never been here before and she immediately began explaining how things worked. They serve stuffed croissants and fresh pastries for breakfast and they had a variety of coffees. She was very patient and answered all my questions. Once we had our food and coffees we sat down and dug in. OH MY GOD I have never had anything as delicious as this stuffed croissant. It was hot and steaming and stuffed to the brim with eggs, cheese and ham. My boyfriend had andouille sausage and said it was the best thing they ever had. I also love iced coffee and their cold brew (Autobahn, I believe is what it's called) is superior to anything I've ever had. Sorry, Starbucks! Halfway through, a blonde woman emerged from the back (one of the owners) and cheerfully asked how everything was and if we needed anything. It was a wonderful experience from beginning to end and we will DEFINITELY be returning. The owner also explained that the summer menu is starting; we cannot wait to try! Thank you Rosemary & Thyme for the delicious food and friendly atmosphere!

1  Thank ktwyoming14
Reviewed 15 April 2017

Rosemary an Thyme is a fantastic establishment, with great food and a wonderful staff. Matt and Anne wake up in the wee hours of the morning to prepare fabulous pastries (pain au chocolate, muffins, croissants, & etc), and even better stuffed croissants which are usually gone by 9:00 a.m. Lunch is just as good, with a menu that changes over the course of the year but always using top quality ingredients, and taste phenomenal. If you have a visitor coming to Newport and you are looking to impress over lunch, or just looking for a great sandwich yourself, I highly suggest going to Rosemary and Thyme. The staff is truly dedicated to their mission of giving their customers fabulous food, and it is evident in every bite! As someone who travels for his family business often, I always look forward to coming home to Newport and popping into Rosemary and Thyme to see friendly faces, and have great food.

Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

The first day we discover that they closed at 2 o'clock, I guess shame on us for not reading their operating hours but that is a pretty early time to close. Second day we show up at 1:30 and there is a sign outside that they are sold out of lunch for the day.

3  Thank Michael P
Matthew T, Owner at Rosemary and Thyme Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2017

I will address your questions
1. Our operating hours, I try as best I can to post our current hours of operation. They are posted on the following : our website, Yelp, Tripavisor, newpaper and magazine ads & cafe door,I do the best I can.
2. We do sell out, due to the size of our kitchen, 200 soft in total, with only limited storage and our overwhelming popularity, yes infact we do sellout . We operate on a first come first serve basis as we scratch make our menu daily.
3. 2:00 closing time, by the time 2:00p.m. Comes around, I have been baking, prepping, and cooking for 12hrs, I then have to clean, and menu plan for another 2hrs for a total of 14 hrs a day. I feel I do enough for my customers.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

With the many positive reviews posted for the Rosemary and Thyme Cafe, we felt we had to give it a try for lunch when in Newport last week. Our food was average at best, and the experience was below average.

They only have four tables crammed into a small space. You can see into the kitchen from the table where we were seated. It was uncomfortably hot, either from the actual heat in the kitchen or from the heated exchange between the chef and one of the cooks.

My wife ordered the brie and pears sandwich, and I ordered the salmon tartine. She liked her sandwich but said that it was nothing too special. Frankly, I fix a much better salmon tartine at home than I was served here. The taste was okay but not great. I only use smoked wild sockeye at home; I don't know what Rosemary and Thyme uses. The biggest problem with the dish was that they layered each item on top of itself as well as layering the different items. This made it a very tall open face sandwich with the ingredients poorly distributed - at the ends you just get bread, closer to the end you just get bread and salmon and in the center you get everything. After a few bites, i rebuilt it to get each ingredient in each bite - a much better dish.

Were we to visit Newport again, this would not be on our list to return.

7  Thank hsbvim
Matthew T, Owner at Rosemary and Thyme Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2017

Sorry you did not enjoy your meal with us. I will adresss all your complaints in order.
1. Small space - we advertise that our space is tiny with. Seating for 16 it's on our website and all other media
2. Our Salmon tartine - We use king salmon, not sockeye because king is sustainable unlike sockeye, which you use. Shame on you.
3. Tartine presentation. We layer our tartines to create lift as per standard in the food service industry. Please refer to the N.Y Times best sellers list The Art of Plating I think will find it an enjoy able read.
4. Heated conversation with one of my cooks- Well that cook is my wife, and trust me the only heated conversations that we have are not in our cafe
4. Our Brie and pear - while you may not understand the layers of flavour in this dish, we have won several regional awards for it. Might I suggest a PB & J with a fine juice box.
In closing let me says that I found your review very entertaining. I wish you a happy and long life, just not in my establishment. CHEERS !