New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Wyndham Inn on the Harbor
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Perfect location for exploring Newport's bars and restaurants!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

Perfect downtown location, wonderful harbor view, and nice size rooms at this Wyndham. We stayed here in early November and had a great time walking to see the sights of Newport during the day, and exploring the many bars and restaurants at night. I'd definitely go back and stay here for a summer weekend too!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rabajill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

Make no mistake, this is not a luxury accommodation, but it does have a fantastic water view, good location for walking to restaurants, shops, kayak rentals, grocery store, and a post office, which for some reason I needed on vacation. We rented from a time share owner using Craigslist. The rate was amazing for a week, far, far below market for anything else in the area with water views. The unit was like a mini condo. Entry was into a bedroom with queen size bed, then a hallway/galley kitchenette with a door to the bath (with vanity sink separated from shower-toilet) and which opened to the living/dining area with a mostly all-glass view. We were on the top floor, which was very quiet and provided a super view. I would avoid the units that do not face the water. The living room has a sleep sofa, arm chair and dining set with 4 chairs. The bedroom has another arm chair that we pulled into the living room. There were TVs in both the living room and bedroom, but we didn't watch them. Neither the bed nor the sleep sofa were great, but we were able to sleep just fine. There is no balcony, but during daylight hours, the roof deck is available. We went up there a couple of times for a really nice view and a fantastic sunset.

A couple of notes:
- Parking is mostly under the building (the building is on stilts and access is easy), with some a level up on the lobby level. This is fantastic as parking around Newport is terrible during tourist season. No valets needed, no gates.
- The elevator is beyond slow. I suggest avoiding it if possible.
- There is free wifi.
- There was free coffee in the lobby until late morning most days.
- There is no daily maid service. Cleaning is once during your weeklong stay (Tue or Wed), but you can leave trash outside of your door and request towels at any time.
- There is no fitness facility, but the front desk will give you passes to the local Y, which is about 2.5 miles away. The Y is very nice, pretty new.
- There is no pool, but the Y has an indoor facility. Go to the beach if you need outside water :-)

Bottom line: The property is dated, but the unit we had was clean and perfect for our needs, a week with my husband, two of our college-aged children, and me. The key here is pricing: We ended up spending $135 a night ($950 for the week). With that location and free parking and wifi, it was worth dealing with the elevator and lack of luxury.

Room Tip: Go for waterfront on the 5th or 6th floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank Susan G
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed at the Wyndham Inn on the Harbor for a week at the end of September 2011. Overall, this was a great week. If we were back in Newport, I'd definitely consider staying at this location again.

Details:
* I expected it be like a time-share experience, so I wasn't surprised that we only had the one "mid-week tidy" on Tuesday. They came in and changed the towels and took our trash. They even did the dishes I left in the sink - what a pleasant surprise! The unit seemed very clean as well.
* Parking is included. This is a fantastic perk - parking is really at a premium in Newport! We could drive when we wanted to go on a day trip outside town. Everything else was within walking distance for us. We were able to find parking in the lower level of the garage every day, so the car was covered. There are "tandem" spots in the upper level where you'd need to leave your keys with the desk if you parked behind someone else. I can see that that could be a hassle, but it did not affect us at all this trip.
* The bathroom is divided with the sink in one part, then a door that separates the toilet and shower.
* The unit we stayed in had a shower only - no tub. The shower was generously sized - I don't usually like shower-only units, but this one was very nice - enough room to move in and out of the water. I have to say I think I preferred this to the traditional shower-over-tub - didn't need to step over the edge of the tub every day. Another pleasant surprise.
* The layout of the unit is a little odd. You walk in off the hall to the bedroom. Then there's a little hall with a galley kitchen on one side and the bathroom on the other. Then there's a small living room with a pullout sofa and small table with chairs. I can see why they put the living room where you have the view of the harbor - it was beautiful. But it did feel odd to walk through the bedroom to the get to the living room.
* The rooms are also pretty tight. It's all functional, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2 people in the unit - I think you would be tripping over each other. The photos from the other travelers were very accurate to our unit - they give a sense of the amount of space.
* I did buy some minimal groceries (cereal and milk, soft drinks, some items for snacking), so the refridgerator and dishes/flatware were very handy. We didn't do any actual cooking, though. If you do plan to cook, be aware that there's very limited counter space. Not a problem for us, though.
* We didn't ask for much from the staff, but when we did, they were courteous and helpful. And they generally smiled, wished us a good day, and such as we came and went.
* Location is great - in the middle of it all. We had no problem with noise from the bar/restaurant on the first floor - maybe because it was after Labor Day and the general vibe overall in Newport was a little quieter.
* There is no pool. Space is very tight in that part of town, so that doesn't surprise me - i don't know where they'd put a pool! I'm told that you could go to a local Y or something. This was not a priority for us - we didn't make use of that option.
* The exterior photo makes it look like you have a small balcony. At least in our unit, you did not. It's just a railing outside the windows. On the plus side, you could open one of the windows to let fresh air in - a rarity in most hotels these days.

I am not giving it 5 stars because of a couple of details. I'll say again that I really liked this place. But there were a few details that kept it from being outstanding.
* Bed in the bedroom was a double, not a queen. Does anyone really expect 2 adults to be able to sleep together in a double bed any more?
* It would be nice to have a safe in the room.
* The "tightness" of the unit - if there was just a little more space, it would feel more relaxing. Not a deal breaker, but not enough to rate the full 5 stars from me.
* When I asked if there was a computer I could use, I was told I needed to go a couple of blocks down the street to another Wyndham. We did go over there and the staff there was nice too. Not having a computer at our location was not a huge problem, but it would be so much more convenient to have been able to look things up or print our boarding passes right there.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PassinThru09
CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at this time share hotel for the first time. Although we prefer Long Wharf,
we were able to get an RCI exchange on a week that was convenient for us. This two bedroom unit would have been uncomfortable had another couple joined us. The door opens into one bedroom, then you walk into the kitchenette and living room. The other bedroom off the living room is more private. It was a disappointment. It was nice to be on Thames Street and the parking was actually convenient as long as you are willing to leave the keys at the front desk. But, overall, the layout made no sense for a two bedroom except, perhaps for a young family that stays together and doesn't come and go at different hours of the day or night. The staff, however, was consistently pleasant and helpful. They made the difference for us, helping us overlook the less than desirable environment.

Room Tip: Take a one bedroom instead. At least you get a great view!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EastCoastMack
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

We stayed in a one bedroom using a timeshare exchange. The unit was a good size for 2 people, although the kitchen area could have used more counter space. (It was difficult to fit both the toaster and coffee pot on it.) It was clean, and the front desk people were helpful.

The hotel was in a great location - within walking distance to lots of restaurants and shopping. The mansions were longer walks, but still do-able.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VTsoxfan04
naples, florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

Checked into the hotel 9/2 and was given a wonderful room, very clean and spacious. I stayed in this hotel in 1999 with my boyfriend and we thought we would try it again after being apart for 11 years. The 6th floor observation deck is incredible, very nice view of the Harbor and the 120' Campbell soup yacht was below us at 41N. There is a full size refrigerator, stove top, microwave and coffee maker in the room. I also like the fact the bathroom sink is separated from the toliet and shower. The lounge on the lower level had great music and we liked the fact it was 4 levels from our room. The hotel is located on Thames street and walking distance to everything.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sillywilly
Merrimack, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

The location was perfect for us with 2 teen-aged girls, walking Thames St. & shopping. The room was nice, except the pull-out sofa was extremely uncomfortable for sleeping, so we had to put the mattress on the floor every night. Noise was not an issue from the bar on the ground floor since we were on the 3rd floor. However I would request a 5th or 6th floor room so you don't wake up at 6am to the noisy trucks in the alley. You would be lucky to get a room with a view of the harbor, ours was a roof. The staff was friendly and helpful, but no cleaning was done at mid-week, like we have at our "home" resort. The "Member's lounge" is a great feature for getting out of the small room. Parking is free, but very cramped. I loved having the roof to take in the beautiful view of the harbor.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family