“Outstanding Dover Sole”

Restaurant Bouchard
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Bouchard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 250 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: At Bouchard Restaurant, a warm relaxed ambiance and gracious welcome signals your arrival. The restaurant serves fine French cuisine in a 1785 Georgian-style house.
Reviewed September 7, 2016

Went for dinner and had the Dover sole. At $36 it is very reasonably price and outstanding. The restaurant has an excellent wine list. The profiteroles for dessert was amazing. Overall an excellent dining experience.

Reviewed September 5, 2016 via mobile

Lovely dinner at Restaurant Bouchard to celebrate my husband's birthday. Intimate setting -a refuge from the bustle of Thames Street. Perfect for a romantic dinner for two. We did ask to move our seats when a large party with children was seated next to us. We had just been seated so was an easy move. They were very accommodating and found us another table. Dinner was excellent - our favorite meal of our weekend in Newport. Thank you to all at a Restaurant Bouchard!

Reviewed September 4, 2016 via mobile

Spontaneous weekend in Newport.....but we lucked out by putting our name on the wait list at Restaurant Bouchard....and we got a call today saying a table had freed up. The experience lived up to the hype.....legitimately outstanding food, prepared in the classical French tradition, coupled with exceptional service made this a memorable experience.

Thanks to our waiter Max, and the rest of the staff, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Both the Foie Gras and the Tuna tartar appetizers were excellent and the Cod Oscar and Veal Chop (both specials) were truly amazing. Top it all off with a classic Grand Marnier soufflé and this was a dining experience we'll come back and enjoy again.

We made a connection with Chef Albert from his days at LeChateau in Pound Ridge, NY.

The only aspect of Restaurant Bouchard that could use an upgrade is the decor. The ambiance was nice, but could be updated to keep up with other top lining spots.

Reviewed September 4, 2016

My wife and I were fortunate enough to get a last minute reservation here. I would recommend calling at least a week in advance to be safe. The primary reason we decided to give Bouchard a try was its number 2 rating on TripAdvisor for restaurants in Newport. Make sure to call ahead and understand the instructions they give you for parking. It's on a tight street with expensive parking lots all around but they give you a parking voucher for a lot close by. We appreciated that. Upon entering, I was surprised by the number of empty tables we saw. The place itself is relatively small and oriented more lengthwise. We had a nice table near the window in the front of the restaurant. In general, the ambiance was nice and quiet but not something that I would call upscale. The waiters were very pleasant and easy to deal with. I was not really surprised by the menu or prices since I had looked ahead on their website.

In terms of the food, I will comment on what we tried. The lobster bisque that I ordered was the best I've ever tried and was a great start to the meal. My wife ordered the escargot. It was decent but a little bland. Not something that I would order again. I ordered the stuffed lobster for my main course. This was a major disappointment. I will admit that the presentation was good and the taste was excellent. The dish was basically the top half of a lobster cut in half down the middle and cleaned out. It was stuffed with small pieces of lobster in addition to medium sized scallops and cheese. There was very little lobster in the dish, It was obvious that the meat from one lobster was used to produce at least 4 or 5 of these dishes. However, you pay the price of a full lobster if not one and a half. This was a very clear sign of the customer being cheated and is enough for me to say that I will not be returning. My wife had the lamb chops, which were very good; but again, portion size left something to be desired. My dessert was some berries in a fruit reduction with a vanilla flavored mousse. My wife had the passion fruit sorbet. Both desserts were about average and we would most likely order neither one again.

I think Bouchard's has some work to do before they really deserve that number 2 rating on TripAdvisor. I loved Newport and would love to return to this restaurant if they improve on some of their short-comings.

Reviewed September 4, 2016 via mobile

We had a great meal here. We didn't have reservations & they were fully booked- but we got a table at the outside bar/sidewalk. It's first come, first serve outside.

Romantic meal. Fantastic food. Wonderful service. Recommend the tuna tartare, lobster bisque, coffee crusted duck, stuffed lobster and soufflé for desert. Amazing!!!

Been to Restaurant Bouchard? Share your experiences!