“A very pleasant surprise”
Review of The Wharf Pub

The Wharf Pub
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wharf Pub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Wharf Pub is a Gastric Style Pub with Comfort Food. Under new ownership as of December of 2012. Open 7 days per week for dinner at 5pm. Lunch served on the weekends at 12pm. Outdoor seating available in the Summer. Located in downtown Newport close to shopping, hotels and parking.
Reviewed 12 August 2017

We had a few minutes to kill before our sunset cruise, so we dropped in to the Wharf Pub for a light snack. We ordered grilled calamari and tater tots (a specialty) to share. The calamari was as good as any high-end restaurant and better than most. RI is famous for its calamari and the whole tubes were tender and moist. They were served atop white beans with a drizzle of herb oil, and a fresh green salad. This "small plate" would make a perfect lunch entree'. The tater tots (ordered on a whim) were served with two dipping sauces - a mustard aoli and a rosemary ketchup which was amazing! The prices were very reasonable for Newport. Definitely recommend.

There are newer reviews for The Wharf Pub

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

It was our last night in Newport. We packed a lot into our last day and didn't get to dinner until 8:30. Thought twice about going into the center so late as we knew most places would be packed and we would probably have to wait. And they all were for a Wednesday. But we wanted to complete our Newport experience and chose the Wharf Pub. After about a 15 minute wait we were seated at an outside table. The place was rocking and the vibe was happy. We didn't intend to get much this late so my mom chose the cream of asparagus soup, my daughter, a burger with fries, my husband, fish and chips, I had a garden salad with a side of Brussels sprouts (best Brussels ever!), and my son had fried chicken and waffles. OK so that wasn't the lightest of meals and, after his disappointment in not finding a big piece of fried chicken, but discovering sausage in it, he absolutely loved the dish and said he will come back again to have it! We were also served their own homemade focaccia and hummus. Everything was absolutely delish. The waitress, Lori, was super friendly. Only reason I did not give 5 stars was because we did not have enough variety of the offerings to give a full review but the entire menu looked fabulous! Needless to say we left with full bellies for the ride back home.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Downtown Newport is a very crowded place. We ended up paying $10 for parking for one hour. The Wharf Pub was near the water with a patio in the rear. That being full, we went into the restaurant. It had a dark interior with several booths and a bar.
I had a falafel sandwich with their interesting cole slaw made with a horseradish mustard- very different. Spouse had the fish and chips with fries and slaw. He said the breading on the fish was over cooked. My falafel was very good.
They had some local brews on tap. Nice enough place, good patio, and decent food.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

We came here on a whim and it was absolutely amazing. We sat inside but outside would have been preferred to people watch and enjoy the nice weather. Service was attentive and the food was delicious. We did not have young children with us but I did see other families there and when the manager came by to ask how it was they all said it was great. We started with the truffle tots. If you like truffle then this is a must. I had the shrimp and grits. The portion was big and I wished I would have shared it with my husband as there was a lot of grits left over.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We wandered by late on a Saturday evening for dinner. Decided to sit outside. Enjoyed the bar while we waited for a table (45 minute wait) but was kept entertained by the crowds wandering by. Dinner was absolutely yummy Matunuck oysters, a guilt inducing order of tater tots smothered in cheese and jalapenos, and the Statler chicken. Everything was delicious and well prepared. Bar service was a little slow, but other than that it was a good experience.