All reviews loft suite rooftop bar indoor pool old mansion my husband and i elegant hotel high tea historic building thames street rhode island turn down service new england long weekend sitting area valet parking common areas cookies
Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

We stayed in a captains loft. Really comfortable bed and plenty of good pillows. Service was friendly and accommodating. However the room needs redecorating! Carpets were stained, furniture was uncomfortable. it was pretty noisy probably due to a big aircon unit. At that price level not acceptable

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GraceVanderbilt, General Manager at Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

Dear Cornelia R,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad you thought the service was friendly and accommodating. We are currently working on our budget for 2019 and sincerely hope we can build in funds to update the rooms. The AC units tend to be on the loud side and we hope to address those too. I hope that all and all you still walked away having an overall positive experience. It would be great to have you come back to see us after we have done some of the updates and refresh we are hoping to get done.

Reviewed August 31, 2018

It is very price exclusive. I had to use my free night from my ten night stay with Hotels.com incentive program. Even with the $217.14 "redeemed night" it was still $538.72. So $755.86 is steep but the experience of getting welcomed into the highest class of Newport at the peak of the Summer season was significant indeed. I swam in the outdoor pool, worked out in the fitness center and swam in the indoor pool and enjoyed the Turkish bath. I played pool (the table cue ball game) in a room adjacent to the bar with a free Chardonnay in a fluted glass. This year I toured 10 different famed Mansion exhibitions of Newport Preservation Society. What a trip! Amazing!

Date of stay: August 2018
GraceVanderbilt, General Manager at Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2018

Dear Martin J,

I am so glad to read you enjoyed everything the hotel (and Newport) has to offer. We do hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 31, 2018 via mobile

This is a historic hotel in a lovely location to walk to the pier and shopping area. The bed was comfortable and the room lovely, but no WiFi for us unless we were in the lobby. Ask for a room where they know there is a WiFi signal. We called but no one showed up. I do not think being on the first level is good as there is a musty smell. Breakfast was fine.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Ms Gayle E,

I am sorry you were experiencing wifi troubles while staying with us, we do not typically have any challenges with that, so I am sorry to hear that.

I do thank you for your feedback and hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the hotel.

Reviewed August 25, 2018

This hotel needs a serious upgrade/renovation. The location is great, but our room was TINY and very noisy, the restaurant in the hotel was depressing and empty, and overall the place was just sad. The staff was very friendly and helpful, but the hotel has seen better days.

Date of stay: July 2018
GraceVanderbilt, General Manager at Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2018

Dear janV9680YX,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the Grace Vanderbilt Hotel. I am glad to hear you thought the staff was friendly and helpful. As far as the physical appearance of the hotel, I am sorry you found it to be somewhat disappointing. We are working on our budgets for next year and taking these time of notes under consideration as we are looking where we can make improvements in the hotel. Than you again.

Reviewed August 20, 2018

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I have been going to Newport for the past 15 years and have stayed at many hotels and b and b's. The staff was not knowledgeable or attentive. Lack of details throughout the hotel- dirty carpets, elevators extremely slow, housekeeping did not have room cleaned until 4pm. One day after coming back from a walk around town, a car was unloading and the hotel rep was unloading suitcases from the car putting everything in front of the stairs, I had to step over the luggage to get in, nobody even noticed this. I would not recommend this hotel at all. So many other places to stay that are welcoming and grateful for your patronage.

Room tip: I wouldn't
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GraceVanderbilt, General Manager at Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2018

Dear Lisa S.

I am so sorry to learn that you had such a disappointing experience. I appreciate you sharing the feedback as feedback like yours will allow us to go back to our team and make changes and improvements so that we may provide positive and memorable experiences that we are known for.
My apologies that in your case we were not able to offer that.