“Beautiful Inn”

Ranked #38 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Alabama
“Beautiful Inn”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Our trip to Newport was an amazing experience! Our stay at Architects Inn will always be a part of it. We were Upgraded to the Belmont Room and loved it! The Inn was quite. The bed was AMAZING!!! When visiting the Mansions in Newport, it was wonderful realizing that we were actually staying in one of the mansions that Newport's First Architect had designed for his own residence.
Thanks again to Nick and Brian!! Loved the Bedside read!!

Room Tip: Call the Inn....don't go through Priceline, etc.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mnew4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I participated in a murder mystery weekend at The Architects Inn. It's a lovely, historic inn in the heart of Newport. The innkeepers could not have been more helpful, and the actor's really got into their parts for this 1920's theme. There was a lot of advance preparation in developing characters for each of the guests, and it was so much fun to be someone who was a lot like myself, but with a twist. The height of the weekend, of course, was finding out "whodunnit". I was informed before the dinner of inquisition that the murderer was me!!!
I had great fun coming up with a confession and a motive between courses of a delicious meal. My husband totally enjoyed the experience, too, and we plan to go back for another murder mystery weekend before the year is out. We never go anywhere for New Year's Eve, but we ended up celebrating all weekend, having fun without much alcohol involved, making friends with the other guests, and straight to bed after dinner--no need to be driving on the roadways.We highly recommend it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joy38
New Jersey
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I can't rave enough in the space provided. Nick and his partner run this B&B as well as another in town, just the two of them! One might think there is no way the two of them can pay enough attention to all the guests needs, but trust me, it is possible. Nick is usually front and center while his partner is the master, let me say it again, MASTER chef. The Architects Inn is a mansion, in itself. You are asked to remove your shoes upon entry. It's also a home. You are responsible for locking and unlocking the door on your own as well as being able to enjoy the entire downstairs area full of antiques and family pictures. Nick was so amazingly helpful with touring Newport and aiming us in the right direction based on our interests while we enjoyed the breakfast each morning. The location seems a little tucked away, and it is, but really it's a perfect location. My fiance were able to walk into town and back a few times without a struggle but also chose to drive around quite a bit as well.

Room Tip: If you are tall, ask to avoid the attic room because it is a peaked roof that slants down toward the...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jherz
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I can't say enough good things about my recent stay at the Architect's Inn. We had a delightful time participating in one of their Murder Mystery weekends. The house is a beautiful Victorian mansion with loads of charm. We opted to stay in separate rooms (which was similar in cost to staying together in one of the nicer rooms but put us in the attic). Our rooms were adorable, with pretty decorations and charming sloped ceilings. For an older house, it was very quiet. I never heard my neighbors and the house was full. The only reason I rated my night's sleep lower was because my room was very chilly (remember, old house!). The space heater did a fair job of keeping things warm but next time, I'll heed Nick's instructions and bring flannel pajamas.
The Murder Mystery was a BLAST! I was afraid that it might be difficult to get into my part (not a natural actress) but the actors are so phenominal and the cues so easy to follow that within an hour, I think I actually believed that I was an antiques dealer! The story and characters were well-thought out and engaging. And would you believe it, I actually hijacked the storyline and thinking my cue card instructed me to steal an artifact, I actually stole a crucial prop! I caused the actors to re-write the entire script to deal with my blunder and they did it masterfully!
The game was so fun, I felt like a child all weekend! At the conclusion of the who-dun-it, the guests, actors and innkeepers all laughed like old friends over the many hillarious moments of the weekend.
I would highly recommend the inn, the mystery weekend and the company!

Room Tip: The attic rooms were a nice value (cozy and charming) but if you're looking for grandeur, go for...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Had a great time. Our room was very comfortable. The mystery was fun and the actors did a great job. Everyone was friendly and the slippers rule was very nice for my feet!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CMyHerr
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband & I spent two nights at the Inn this past week. Our hosts Nick & Brian were awesome, knew lots about the area, things to do, places to see, where to eat, etc. Our room had a working fireplace that was so nice to relax by.The common areas are cozy & comfortable. In a few weeks those fireplaces will be going too! Breakfasts were delish & presentation was impressive! Nice job, Brian! We spent quite a while just visiting & sharing stories with Nick, which was like meeting an old friend. Hopefully will go back in the warmer weather to relax on the porch with a good book, some fresh baked cookies & a cup of Earl Grey!

Room Tip: LaForge was a great room! Roomy, nice fireplace, king size bed.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank moreenf
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My wife and I recently spent three lovely nights at the Architects Inn. October is off season but perhaps the best time to visit Newport. Still enough going on, weather is decent and getting around and parking is easy. The Rosewood Room we stayed in was certainly spacious enough and nicely furnished. Bathroom was large and claw foot tub was interesting albeit a bit hard to navigate into and out of.
The Inn is in a great location. A 10 minute walk in one direction takes you to a cluster of restaurants on Broadway like the Fifth Element, Salvation Cafe (both great), Noreys, and Tuckers. A five minute walk in the other direction takes you to the Art Museum and Rosewood Library, and the waterfront area is within a fifteen minute walk if you don't want to drive.
Brian and Nick were great. Didn't see them much during the stay but they made us outstanding breakfasts and spent time chatting with us during and after the meal. Both were friendly, very open and fun to talk to, and in very short time "zeroed in" to what kind of people we were. When we queried them about the mansions and told them two or three max, they gave us an overview of each and suggested which ones we might be enjoy. When we asked about dining they suggested the kinds of spot we liked, unpretentious, and casual but good food. Try Scales and Shells for fresh seafood and Brick Alley and Red Parrot for almost gourmet bar food.
I forgot some files at the Inn upon our departure. Within an hour I received a text from Nick letting me know and he mailed the files to my office. What a life saver that was. Would definitely return to this place as everything about it just made our trip all that much better.
One final note: Brian and Nick are busy guys as they also run another B&B and have a restaurant. So at least in the off season a lot of communication is done by text messaging. This actually pleased us because it rendered them unobtrusive but they always responded quickly. But technically challenged types might not appreciate not having someone around the Inn during large parts of the day. I understand that during the season there are more staff around.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor seemed fine and spacious. I don't know about higher levels.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple