“The "Dump on Bellevue" would be a compliment.”
Review of Inn on Bellevue

Inn on Bellevue
Ranked #14 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Port Chester, New York
“The "Dump on Bellevue" would be a compliment.”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I stayed at the Inn on Bellevue for two nights with my girlfriend in mid-March. Newport clearly is a seasonal town. That said, one would assume a small business like this specific Inn would put forward more of an effort to attract and satisfy guests. Boy, was I wrong.

The lobby/breakfast nook is freezing cold and uninviting. The floors are scratched up, filthy and have exposed nails. The paint is chipped and the furniture is untrustworthy. Our room was just ugly. Small bathroom, no sink. There is nothing historic about this place. It's run down rooms filled with cheap and broken fixtures and dirty, ragged linens.

The service was decent. The front desk girl was friendly and even called restaurants for us to see if they were open and made reservations. However, even 5 star service could not bring me back.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank matthew_d1123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Went here Over the summer last year for a weekend when The hurricane hit end of August. Newport is amazing but this place sucked. Everything was booked elsewhere or was crazy expensive so we resorted here, I read good things about it. First off our Internet kept going out every hour. When we first called the guy at the front desk said he would come up and fix it. Half hour later we' re still waiting for him, so we call the front desk and he said he fixed it? Yet it kept going out and we wasted half hour waiting for him to come to our door. Our AC was moldy, half the outlets didn't work. The room was nice otherwise . Saturday nite we asked to check out early due to the hurricane coming and everyone saying we will be stuck due to Newport being across two bridges of water in RI. The front desk was so rude, stated we wold not get any money back, he faked calling his manager! Said his wife picked up and that he was out l well my boyfriend has good ears and heard it was a male on the other line, grabbed the phone and pressed redial and sure enough the manager of the place picked up. We got into a major fight, ran out with the key and drove away woohoo!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Angelica W
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Our friends invited us to join them for the weekend after they purchased a deal on "Living Social". The deal was no longer available, but their regular price was not much more, so we booked that way. We ended up getting up-graded to a 2 bedroom suite, which was larger than what we needed, but lovely. The room looked like it was recently renovated, as many of them had been. Some of the furniture had not been changed, but the bathrooms were renovated, and the bed was very comfortable, and clearly not worn. The floors were sparkling as well. One thing that you must note, there is no elevator, so be prepared to climb the stairs. There is a back staircase if you enter from the parking lot, but walk to the front one, as it is a much better one.
Breakfast is served each morning in the parlor of The Inn on Bellevue, which was a few doors down. Each morning there was a nice assortment of pancakes, french toast, waffles one day, an egg frittata, fruit cups, yoghurt, muffins, etc. The location was good for both walking into town, getting around by car, and if you are willing to walk further, walking over to the mansions.
The Viking Hotel is across the street, and there is access to their pool and spa for Inn on Bellevue guests.

Room Tip: If you like a jacuzzi, don't be thrown off by the photos that show it in the room, that part of...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Stafford, NJ
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I could go into how terrible this place was, but sadly words cannot express the displeasure that I had staying there. If this is absoulutely your last resort, I would still think twice. Bad room and worse service. Read other reviews on this site and see how many of them rate this place as terrible. Seriously, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Trust me it won't matter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Edward H
innsonbellevue, General Manager at Inn on Bellevue, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Good afternoon, Edward,

I am writing you in regard to the posting you placed on tripadvisor about your stay at the Inns on Bellevue. As the General Manager, I am very concerned about the issues you encountered. I hope you will take a moment to call me to tell me specifically what issues you encountered, as your message is very vague and without specifics. Without more information, I am unable to address the issues, and try to resolve them with you directly.

I checked our reservation history, and found no reservation under your name during the period of time when your review was posted.

I hope you will take a moment to call me to discuss. Please call me at 401 848-6242.

Regards,
Paul Galluscio
General Manager, Inns on Bellevue
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I found this place by accident and had such a lovely time that I could not wait to get back. It was not new and shiny but charming and historic. The staff was so nice and although it did not the the latest and greatest technology, that was fine by me. We were in Newport after all. You are not watching TV in your room, you are enjoying the beaches, restaurants and shops. I am coming back this spring and can't wait!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Its a small in house run B&B you will find at newport at a very attarctive rates. The manager is very nice person and helpful. Although rooms are very old, but still you can manage. Only thing I didnt like that, the bed sheets are very old, the owner should replace them. The breakfast is very good and one of the best i had in US.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KishorePin2
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I went to the Inn on Bellevue on January 20 for my anniversary with my husband. Bad decision. Just after we checked in the manager left the building and we found ourselves with a large building just for us, it was a little strange. After checking in we went to our room, we realized that the TV is from the 90's with a few channels but we could get over that... the access to wi fi was spotty at best...but we could get over that.. so we decided to read. Later we left for a walk and to have dinner. We came back and we heard noises the whole night, people going up and down the stairs to an apartment on the 4th floor. We had been told that we were the only guests staying there that night, so it was kind of creepy at first.

The next day we went for breakfast... but that was even worse. The woman in charge of the breakfast was having a fight or argument with someone on the phone. She took around 45 minutes to bring the breakfast ( with the phone on her ear the whole time), she even started crying out loud that we felt bad with my husband and we almost decided to just go to Dunkin’ Donuts... but the woman was cooking something so we decided to wait. As soon as she arrived she gave me two dry fried eggs on a plate. My husband received two french toast- very dry and small, no care at all for presentation or anything. We were in shock with my husband, that we could not laugh or be angry. As soon as the plate was on the table she left... I did not have bread, muffin or a fruit or a toast for my eggs, so I went to the kitchen and nobody was there... really she left us alone in the building again... the only thing there to improve my eggs was salt so I grabbed it. We ate that because we were starving... we could not even complain because nobody was there.

We decided to say ok, we do not need to be so negative and we tried to enjoy the snow and the beautiful town of Newport. Later that evening, when we arrived to the hotel, nobody was at the building again. Our bed was in the same condition that we left it in the morning, nobody cleaned the room or bathroom. Fresh towels were left in the hallway at least. I decided to make the bed to go to sleep when we made the decision of going home instead; we were just over an hour away from home. My mother in law gave us this dream weekend in Newport, RI but the only problem was to be at the Inn of Bellevue. When we called the phone number to say we were leaving one day early, the women who answered the phone said Ok, I will let the manager know about it. That's it!!!

More than a week since our visit to the inn and nobody has called us to apologize or inquire further... even though we explained clearly the reason why we were leaving the hotel... simply they do not care, we felt like we were imposing... It seems that they tried in the past to improve the place, but they only went so far... Consider not going there during the winter, maybe summer time is different. Walking around Newport we saw hotels and B&Bs with the "No vacancy" signs... there 's a reason why the Inn of Bellevue was empty.

Breakfast: beyond bad
desk attention: good, when you find somebody
Service : bad
Room: normal
TV or wi fi: bad, no connection
Bed: good bed, very comfortable

I hope this review can be helpful. Good luck.

Room Tip: You will find A good room across the street maybe...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple