“UP, UP, & UP”

Ranked #3 of 276 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A dormant volcano crater.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

What a hike!! I still can't believe I made it to the top, and what a treat I received! The view was spectacular!!

Date of experience: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (21,023)
All reviews
in 205 reviews
"food truck"
in 246 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Went early to beat the rush. No such luck, in all the times we had hiked to the top I had never seen so many. We have a handicap parking permit and were turned away. I ask the lot guy and he said go get my wife and car as there were about 5 open handicapped spaces. The man in the booth still wasn’t going to let us in and got nasty about it thus the rating. If the lot guy hadn’t stepped up she would never have been able to wait while we hiked. We ended up paying twice as I left to get the car and the tickets are only good once even though they all knew why I was leaving.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

My 13 year old son & I hiked to the top. There are beautiful views in every direction we wore sneakers which were a good choice. We hiked it faster than average but saw a lot of people who were wearing Crocs, sandals & flip-flops who were regretting their choice. I don’t recommend taking strollers as you will have to carry the stroller almost the whole way once you get beyond the initial sidewalk style path.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed April 4, 2018

My spouse and I recently hiked to the top of the Diamond Head crater. As the parking lot was full, we found a place to park down the street and walked into the State Monument area. Be prepared for the number of people who are hiking this same trail as it is a very popular area. If i could give you one piece of advice it would be to wear proper footwear for this hike. We saw many people in open toe sandals and flip flops. It is not a long hike but it is steep and rocky at times. Be patient and take your time. The views are worth the effort.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We went to Diamond Head on an overcast day and were worried about the rain, however by the time we got their the sky had cleared and the sun was bright and beautiful. Diamond was definitely challenging but there were many families there with younger children. There are some steep parts but there are several look out points where you can see beautiful, expansive views of the island of Oahu. The other climbers we encountered were courteous and supportive and even took our picture for us. I would recommend bringing plenty of sunscreen and water and taking breaks when you need to. The whole hike took us approximately 2 1/2 hours (My sister and I are in our 20's and my parents are in their 50's. ) Be sure to take plenty of pictures as the view from the top is truly incredible!