Hale Koa Hotel
US$349
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$457/night.

Prince Waikiki(Honolulu)
US$202
Hilton.com
  • Beachfront
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$271/night.

Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach(Honolulu)
US$266
US$239
  • Breakfast included
US$239
US$217
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$245/night.

US$384
US$262
US$210
Priceline
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$243/night.

2,120 results
All reviewsbarefoot barkoko cafeactive dutymilitary hotelmaile towermilitary familiesmilitary idwarriors loungehappy's snack bararmed forcespost exchangeexchange storeservice membersair forcewaikiki beachmilitary personneladult pool
Reviewed March 17, 2011

My husband and I spent ten days in early March 2011 at the Hale Koa, our sixth stay since 1982. We have a very favorable report regarding that stay. Retuerning to the Hale Koa is in a way a little like going home, as we really enjoy visiting with the military community again. Compared to other hotel complexes, we find the Hale Koa grounds are quiet and safe.

The Hale Koa does not allow for very specific room requests, so there is some concern upon arrival as to room location. This time we were happy with our requested remodeled room, and the ocean view was just fine. We were especially pleased to find a coffee pot in our room, something most all other hotels have provided for years. We could finally enjoy morning coffee on the balcony without having to dress to go buy it. The room was small, but the double beds were very comfortable, and the sheets were especially smooth (not rough as another reviewer mentioned.) We even overslept several days. The bed pillows were small and hard, but there were better pillows in the closet for my husband, and I always travel with my own. We were impressed with the room's cleanliness, cleaned each day by a delightful lady who was prompt, thorough, cheeful, and always singing. The elevator service was excellent, the ease of getting around the complex is very good.

Among the positives this time:
The employees we encountered would ask if we needed help, they were willing to serve us, and were cheerful. In fact twait staff in Koko's restaurant were overly attentive.
The food prices, while seemingly high, overall were reasonable when compared to prices in other establishments off the hotel grounds. Koko's offered tasty meals for seniors for $9.95 each night, and also a frequent diner card which saved us about $30.
The Beach bar still serves the best mai tai and offered nightly entertainment.
The Luau was reasonably priced, food was good, and the show was excellent, the added tribute to the military appreciated.
Happy hour appetizers in Warrior Lounge were a welcomed addition.
The grounds still well maintained, abundant flowers and foilage.

Among the negatives:
Disappointment in the Sunday Buffet -- selection was limited, especially the salads and non-breakfast hot dishes -- too much emphasis on Asian choices for me.

The food served at Koko's buffets was just warm, should have been hot.. They charged too much the soup of the day ($5.95), although the amount served was ample.

An apparently new policy allowing a qualified guest to sponsor several rooms for friends. This was happening while we were there. It brought in too many guests who had no connection to the military community. Two couples we talked to said their sponsors each had four rooms. For us, me this is not an acceptable policy.

Allowing a private company to rent a large part of the grounds for five days, fencing them off to the Hale Koa guests, and allowing the hired entertainment to be disruptive and loudly annoying to the Hale Koa guets. All one day the sound system was tested, as we tried to rest at the nearby pool.

Taking all this into account, we still believe that the Hale Koa is a gem in the midst of what has become a "cement city" and we look forward to our next visit there.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SunnySenior
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We visited Oahu and stayed at the Hale Koa one year ago. It was warm, personal, and caring. So for our 29th anniversary we decided to return. The new manager has all but distroyed the ambiance of the facility. He is selling off time/event to outside franchises like Hewlett Packard and cancelling events that were to be done for the soldiers, spouses, disabled veterans, and retired military. The noise factor was unbelievable. Every night music was played so loud that even the 14th floor was rather noisy. The employees state that they are no longer allowed to treat customers special like they were allowed to one year ago. Now it is all business. My husband was ill and I asked if we could stay in the room 2 hours longer before we were to go to the airport. I was told that we could not stay the entire time and if we were not out by 1pm we would be charged for another full day. Overall, this year was a very disappointing experience. This may be a facility for the soldier, but it no longer cares for the soldier. Making money is now more important. I plan on writing the military about what has happened to this once wonderful facility that cared for the men and women who served our country

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank kates2
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed there for a mini vacation in August of 2010. We bought a go ahua card which lets us to everything for basically free. We had the best time the resort was clean and everyone was nice and helpful. This was my second trip and I rather liked my first accommodations just because it was a time share and we had a private beach. This is not your romantic hotel there is sooooo many kids and families, so that why my husband and I were out doing this rather than at the resort. I wanted a vacation and I have my own kid at home I really didn’t want to deal with everyone else’s.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank scrowse
Reviewed February 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks during a military move while waiting for on-base housing. It is comfortable, clean, and no-frills. The beds were a little on the stiff side, and the sheets felt scratchy and a little uncomfortable, but otherwise we were pleased. We had a nice partial ocean view from our balcony.

The restaurants at the Hale Koa are awesome. My favorite was Bibas (the coconut strawberry cheesecake is amazing), while my husband LOVED the view from the patio of the Koko Cafe. Just seconds from the beach, and not too crowded. You can even grab a drink and enjoy some live entertainment on the weekends at the Barefood Bar (right on the beach). The property is lush, green, well-manicured, and HUGE.

Had speedy internet, but it wasn't cheap ($10 per day), also had a business center that was useful, but also expensive. Parking @ the Fort De Russy parking structure was affordable and easily accessible. Great location in Waikiki, within easy walking distance of many shops, restaurants, and beachfront. The gym requires payment, even if you're a guest, which I didn't love, but not a big deal.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank AFWife_11
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We just returned from a 7 day stay, to celebrate our 10th Anniversay. We stayed in the remodeled tower on the 10th floor with a ocean view. Our room was on the corner so we could look around and see the city view also, plus it faced the Hilton Hotel and had the pleasure of hearing semi trucks back up to unload food and supplys. The rooms are very small. Only one side had a night stand. The bed was only a queen size and couldn't get a restful night of sleep on it. It's true the pillows are small, but extra are in the closet. TV reception is horrible, and don't expect a flat screen. We also had a pull out couch in the room. Bathroom was spacious and clean. No room service. The food is horrible, about the same as ship food. The lady at the coffee cart was not a happy person, as I did get coffee every morning. Very seldom heard a "Good Morning" The best thing about the hotel was sitting at the barefoot bar having a drink and watching the sunset.
The PX was the best thing that happened to the hotel. The last day we were there we ate at the coffee shop and had the buffet. It was good. Don't waste your time doing the Sunday Brunch. The lady asked us if we had a discount coupon, when we said "No" she didn't offer us a savings. "How Rude" If you are a Senior Citizen you get a discount at the coffee shop. Pools are okay. Grounds are clean and nice. The best tip: Go to the North Shore, pick up fruit at the fruit stand and stop to eat at Teds Bakery- or take it to Sunset Beach, the best plate lunch on the island. Do not go to the travel agency at the hotel for tours, Drive to the Marine Base and get your tickets there as we saved alot of money for our day trip to Kauai, and it's only a 30 minute drive. We ate down the street - Calif Pizza Kitchen, Ruth Chirs, Buffalo Wild Wings, several chain places to chose from.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple