“Charming place to stay”

Ranked #63 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Denton, Texas
“Charming place to stay”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We stayed at Breakers in March, 2011, but I forgot to write a review. It is a two story hotel less than a block from the beach, with a pool in the courtyard area. There is a reception desk at the entrance where you leave your key when you leave the property. We liked this feature because that way they know who's coming and going. I believe it is family-owned and we met many return guests. It is older but well kept. Our room was upstairs and had a nice lanai with 2 chairs and a table, a kitchen with mini frig, toaster, etc. It is quiet, the rooms and grounds are clean, and the staff is very friendly. There are no elevators, so you can just walk right up to your room. There is coffee next to the pool in the morning. There are 2 resident kitties who stay near the reception desk. When we checked out they presented us with beautiful, fresh flower lei's for our return trip home, plus we got a Christmas card from them with a photo of the staff. Some nice, personal touches from a charming little hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank Aloha247

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We almost chose this hotel since we like interesting unconventional places but were leery as we have been burned by the "funky" factor before. We chose instead a more expensive safe bet big box hotel for our Honolulu vacation. I wish now we had chosen The Breakers. I stopped by there today to check it out. Yes, it is old and a bit dated but so much as to be kinda cool again. The attendent was very friendly. It is in a terrific location near our favorite beach area in a park with trees. The rooms were simple but clean. It is a quiet spot yet close to all the Waikiki hubbub. If we visit Waikiki again we will stay here.

• Stayed January 2012
12 Thank kinwa
Shawnigan Lake British Columbia
Reviewed 31 January 2012

If you really want the experience of Hawaii, stay at The Breakers. The staff are unbelievable. I can't say enought good things about the wonderful people who work there.
The room is old, but who cares, the rest of the property makes up for it.
I was fortunate to stay for a week, Jan 20th to 28th, wasn't long enough, already started saving for a 2 week stay!!

Room Tip: Pool view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank beamer99
Sammamish, WA USA
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We have been staying at the Breakers Hotel for years and love it. An old time relaxing hideaway in the tourist frenzy of Waikiki she is one of a kind. The staff is superb, one of the friendliest around without being overbearing. One of our favorite places in the islands which we visit every year.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank rcman
North Vancouver
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I always stay here on my trips to Waikiki and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. The location is perfect for young families and seasoned vacationers alike with two storey buildings surrounding a pool courtyard. For those who stay for an extended period of time, there is a fully equipped kitchen in each room to save on dining-out costs. The staff and guests are all very friendly and depending on the time of year, you may run into some familiar folk. Happy hour can sometimes start early and carry on into the late evening! But not to worry, there are quiet rooms in the back of the courtyard. Visit this gem and get a taste of what Hawaii was like before big development.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank Chris G
Vancouver
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel two years running in January, and in 2012 we'll be back for a full month. The Breakers is an early 1960s-style motel-hotel. Its motto could be, and perhaps should be "It isn't broken, don't fix it!"
The services, architecture, staffing arrangements, and room layouts are all reminiscent of motels we knew as kids. The management understand that their clients prefer that The Breakers "experience" remain pretty much as it is now, with minimal change. We can be sure that the quiet and calm we treasure will be there when we return--and return we shall.
There are small and unimportant annoyances: one would like to see microwaves in the kitchenettes, and the very oldest parts of the hotel have carpets and furnishings in need of partial renewal. The morning coffee hour is occasionally noisy as old friends laugh and talk...at 7.30 a.m.--but you can see this as delightful or annoying, depending on your point of view. Against these minor problems you have to balance the excellent and friendly staff at the hotel--and the superb *location* (on the edge of Waikiki, away from the glitz, but with easy access to TheBus and Fort DeRussy Beach Park--not to mention a full-service US Post Office just about 30 metres down the street.
The price is reasonable, particularly considering the overall quality of the hotel and its services.
Most clients stay for at least a week, and a minority for one or more months. The age-range is weighted toward the middle and senior years, but there are some families, especially during school holiday times. We would wish more children could be there more of the time as it makes a nice balance.
Overall there's little question: this place deserves to be graded "very good."

Room Tip: It might be wise to choose a room away from Beachwalk Street, although we've heard no complaints...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Ciceronian
Portland
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I just returned home from my first ever stay at The Breakers. This was my 8th trip to Waikiki but, my first stay here. I have to say, I have never stayed anywhere that had such an intimate feel. The staff were all super friendly and within 24 hours of check-in, most knew me by name. Those who didn't, knew me by room number. I met many of the other guests during my stay, and I must say, they were all wonderful too. It seems that most people I spoke with have been coming here for years. This hotel had a real feeling of family. The poolside courtyard is so serene one could easily forget they're in Waikiki. I just can't imagine staying anywhere else now that I've found the Breakers.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo