4,536 results
All reviews the study morimoto restaurant sunrise pool day bed pool area waikiki beach adult pool ala moana shopping our honeymoon main pool amazing hotel min walk pool staff turn down service the main strip partial ocean view friday night fireworks
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Well we’ve stayed at the Modern many times over the years. One of our favorites off the strip and feel well taken care of. But not happy with the new resort fee tagged on to the room for WiFi, coffee pods in the room-and other things that should be standard for a place like this. When I’m paying over $200 a night should I have to pay for a warm towel when I check in? Actually the coffee you offered in the lobby years ago as a compliment was much better than coffee pods.
Also...please give people the option to have more than a thin bed covering to sleep in. Have maybe an extra blanket in the room. Need some weight on more than a sheet.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank maui-no-ka-oi967
Reviewed November 8, 2018 via mobile

Loved the Modern Honolulu. The rooms were beautiful and comfortable with a nice view. The gym was great, equipment was in good shape, and there was cold towels with a refreshing scent in the fridge. Both pool areas were inviting. The pool on the 2nd floor had a view of the harbor and the ocean beyond it. The staff was outstanding. In fact that might have been the best part.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2018

Stayed at the Modern for 4 nights. Had a room with a partial ocean view on the 12th floor. Staff were friendly upon arrival. The hotel is located within a walking distance to waikiki beach and the lagoon as well not too far from shops. Rooms are very clean. Bed was okay (not soft if that's what you prefer). We had no balcony but could at least open the windows. Shower was good with high water pressure. The only issue we had was that we had planned on our last day to chillax by the pool however, they had closed the pool areas all day because of a private function (food & wine festival). We didn't find out about this until the previous night. This was a major inconvenience. Not to mention we're forced to pay a daily resort fee yet were are unable to use the resort facility (such as the pool). Go figure.

Also upon arrival, the concierge did try to lure us in offering us a "welcome pack" but then he wanted for us to sit down for a chat. After a long haul flight we were tired so then we chose not to engage and headed straight to our room to rest up. And it was good thing that we did as we had then stumbled upon negative reviews from other guests on how the hotel staff wasted their time in trying to sell them timeshare via a long presentation.

For parking, it is alot cheaper to simply park across the road for $23 a day which worked out well.

Date of stay: October 2018
2  Thank ngockkers
Reviewed November 6, 2018

I would like to start this review by saying I have TWICE emailed the hotel to let them know of my concerns and as they haven't bothered to contact me ( more evidence of the abysmal service), so I will write a TA review. I hate to see reviews where the hotel hasn't been informed of the issues, but I gave them chance to respond, during the stay and immediately after.

Essentially, this hotel looks great and friends of mine were impressed that we were staying at " The Modern"? I quite like the minimalistic reception, the pools were attractive and never too busy, there is easy access to the beach along the sky path towards the Hilton next door and the bedrooms are large and clean considering we booked the economy/standard room.

Now, the problems started when we found out ( not upon check in), that the pools were closed due to a private food and wine event the hotel was hosting. Not the welcome you want on your 1st day, it was boiling and we had just flown from a cold US mainland and were looking forward to heading to the pool. A heads up before our arrival would have been appreciated, instead, a letter in our room notified of this.
Next to this letter was another letter from hotel management, informing us that they have recently taken over this building and realise there are amenities missing that their guests would usually expect from them. How bizarre. Why not just address that, or reduce rates until you're a fully functioning hotel, what madness!
There was an iron, slippers, robe, pod coffee machine and fresh water each day, but I personally thought they were missing side plates, wine glasses and a fridge that was colder on the inside than it is on the outside ( hardly modern). Having no light on the balcony was a pain and the stupid balcony shutter door was inconveniently placed and a few times we walked into the patio door because of poor design.

The first night we barely slept as the in-house nightclub was pumping music until the early hours and the walls were vibrating. You pay a hotel in exchange for a place to sleep- this was unacceptable and led us to check TA reviews the following morning, where by we found similar reviews regarding the hotel closing the pool for private functions and poor service.

I found the staff to be generally obnoxious, too young and have no idea what good service looks like. Reception staff have no idea how to welcome and farewell guests. We were given a key upon check in and no further information was provided, not even, the lift is behind you to the right, or the pool is on this floor, or, the pools are closed today by the way! Same service on check out- nobody asked about our stay, or thanked us for our stay, or asked where we were heading to next.

This meant our overall perception of the hotel was tarnished and we found it difficult to look beyond and enjoy what was great about this place. We are thoroughly disappointed and feel we grossly overpaid for this experience. This was our final destination before flying back to NZ and this hotel really let us down. We will not be recommending to anybody until I see reviews to the contrary- staff need to go to customer service classes, especially considering they expect tips in for service in the US, what a joke.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
11  Thank Micmac85
Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a week. There are some positives and negatives.

First, the positives:

The hotel is at a good location at the edge of Waikiki Beach with an easy walk to the Hilton. The room is spacious. It’s an ordinary hotel room. No special features. Very plain decor. I did not use the pool, gym or restaurant. It was just a place to sleep. For that, it was fine.

The negatives:

This is a Diamond Resort Hotel. Their interest is in selling you a time share or getting you to buy more points in their time share. They will entice you to attend one of their sales presentations with some perk. Unless you have a half day to waste with high pressure sales people, do not go!!! They will tell you that it is only an hour. Not true!

Housekeeping is not daily. Only once a week. For me that is not a big deal, but if you expect to come back to a made up room each day, you’ll be disappointed.

Parking: There is no convenient street parking. When you arrive at the hotel, there is a sign that says “Valet Parking Only”. They won’t tell you that there are other options. It costs $35 per day. I parked my car with the valet. While the car was in their custody, they damaged it. When I reported it, they denied it. They claimed to have photos showing no damage when I picked up the car. I asked to see the photos. They refused to show it to me. They did not make an incident report until the third day that I complained. They just kept blowing me off. I found out from one of the valets that there was public parking available across the street for $23 per day with in and out privileges. You just have to let them know that you are staying at the hotel. DO NOT USE THE VALET SERVICE. My car also reeked of tobacco when I picked it up. I don’t smoke.

4  Thank Annette M