“Killer Hike!”

US$419.00*
Oahu Circle Island Helicopter Tour
Ranked #8 of 332 things to do in Honolulu
Reviewed 5 April 2012

THE BAD NEWS: Don't go there if: you are not fit, if you have bad knees, if you have a bad back, if you are afraid of heights, yada yada yada...The way up along old railroad ties becomes quite steep, therefore strenuous...there is an area where the ground drops off under the railroad ties & you must walk (way above) the ground for about 20' - don't stop or look down!...It can get very hot if you do not go before 9:00 AM...THE GOOD NEWS: The views are spectacular...take your time & take rest breaks along on the side...take water...a middle-aged friend does this "climb' weekly & uses hiking poles, which are definitely helpful going downhill if you're not inclined to run down like the 20-somethings...when you get to the "bridge" with the yellow markings, there is a trail off to the right (you'll have to backtrack alittle, as you're going up) or to the left (as you're going down)...I did it, & once is enough for me!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,999)

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Be sure to go early in the morning as its a long climb uphill on the old rail tracks and all in the sun...so it can be hot. Pack a snack and water and enjoy the view at the top by sitting on the old bunkers. There is a gully that you need to go over but just do the "butt-walk" if you are not comfortable walking the rail ties.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I didn't do it because I would not tempt it, but 6 of us did...they enjoyed it , said the view was amazing.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Excellent spot for a great workout. The trail is an old rail line that literally goes straight up the side of Koko Head. Overtime, the wooden rail ties have become stairs that lead to the top. Excellent views once you conquer the trail. Ample free parking and restrooms are available.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband was set on hiking these stairs once we saw them on an episode of Hawaii 5-0 and knew we were going to Oahu. It only took us about 35-40 minutes and we heard 30-90. I had been working out on the elliptical to try and build up my leg strength. My husband is very in strength so it wasn't too hard for him. Starts out fairly easy but definitely gets hard, very steep and a little scary on the spot with no dirt underneath - more like a bridge. We stopped several times so I could rest, but you could move out of the way and everyone was very friendly and courteous of everyone. The view from the top was well worth it. Very windy but was nice after the hike! I saw a few people with kids but I would not recommend doing it with children. Saw some marines run up it in 12 minutes - um, WOW! Like I said, it was hard but I had a sense of pride in doing it (especially after major weight loss). If you feel like you are too out of shape, I would maybe recommend sticking with Diamond Head, but if you really want to do it just take breaks and don't forget your water!

2  Thank ntdavis524