“I can't recommend this hotel to anyone.”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #70 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We were flying out at 11:30 and decided to save some extra $ by staying here. We were given a room with 3 single beds. I felt as if I was back in a dorm room. The TV was awful. Only 7 American channels came in. There was hair all over the bathroom and in the sheets. We did manage to push together two of the beds to take a nap. The $15/nt parking is just another add-on. Positive is the location is two blocks from the strip and a block from some resteraunts.

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Centrally Located -- 5 minutes from Beach !

Friendly Staff ! --- Our room was old and the kitchenette area is very small -- but for 1-2 people it will do. It is NOT the cleanest place !!!.

Dissapointed that the jacuzzi never worked -- and the Pool is FREEZING ! The little waterfall by the Jacuzzi was cute .

But if you can get it for a descent price -- its ok !

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I was looking for budget accommodations for a quick trip to Honolulu, and this hotel came up as a package option on Expedia. “Budget” doesn’t have to be synonymous with dirty or dumpy, but that’s pretty much how I’d have to sum up the White Sands Hotel.

When we arrived, I discovered that the parking lot consisted of about 8 parking spaces. There was no parking garage. Even with my small economy car, it was tough to maneuver through this tight parking lot. This task was made even more difficult by someone’s long truck that was parked by the exit and hampered one’s ability to get through the tight turn. For this, you pay an extra $20 per day.

We accessed our rooms by walking down a hallway with filthy carpets. It wasn’t a comforting first impression.

Our “suite” came with two twin beds, a Hollywood-style daybed that doubles as a sofa, and a tiny kitchen. The beds must have had the cheapest mattresses the hotel could obtain, perched on wobbly metal frames. There was one small pillow on each bed. The scratchy blankets made me think longingly of my former Army barracks in basic training – the Army beds and blankets were more comfortable. My daughter pulled the blankets off one of the beds and slept on the daybed, as it had a slightly better mattress.

The bathroom was none too clean – the floor could have used a good mopping with some strong cleaning fluid. The shower was about 30” by 30” in size.

The kitchen consists of a microwave, a half-size refrigerator, a sink, and two burners. It’s very tiny, but was adequate for preparing breakfast cereal and light meals. I would have appreciated it if the kitchen had been stocked with some salt and pepper. The first night I was there, I poured some unused lemonade down the sink and didn’t notice that the sink stopper kept it from draining out of the sink. When I returned at the end of our first full day in Oahu, I noticed that the lemonade was still in the sink; the maids hadn’t drained it or cleaned it. As an experiment, I deliberately left it there the second day. It didn’t get cleaned then, either.

There is a safe in the closet, which seemed like a good idea for security purposes, but you have to go to the lobby and obtain a key for $2/day for the privilege of using it. Better hotels have safes with combination locks that you can set yourself, and they don’t charge you for their use.

The lanai “view” was non-existent, and there are no sheer curtains. It’s either reveal yourself to the world or have your room plunged into darkness by the drapes.

The HVAC unit appeared to have a thermostat, but the A/C ran constantly, despite the setting.

The wireless internet seemed to work adequately.

The only reason that I ranked this hotel two stars is because one star is the minimum on TripAdvisor, and I’ve stayed at two other motels in my lifetime that have been worse. Since the locks and deadbolts worked, I didn’t feel overly worried about my safety, and at least the maids had made an attempt to clean the unit before our arrival. And the air conditioning worked, so we didn’t roast. I have to admit that the hotel was surprisingly un-noisy for its location in a busy urban section of Waikiki. If all you want is a place to crash, this might be OK, but I think there must be better budget options out there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SML-Travels
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We stayed here for a week in Sept. 2011 & really enjoyed it. We were upgraded free to a large double room with a view of the hot tub & swimming pool. Everything in the rooms worked & the staff were friendly & very helpful!
We were close to everything & had an assigned parking space.
If we go back to Oahu we'll surely stay here again!!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back let you look out on the hot tub & swimming pool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Pros: Has a fridge and stove. Quiet. Price
Cons: Dingy. Parking is $25 a night. No internet signal in my room. No elevator to third floor.

I would not recommend staying here.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Loved the location--within walking distance from the beach, shops, etc. of Waikiki. The pool area was beautifully landscaped. Our balcony faced the pool so the view was excellent. The desk staff were very friendly and accomodating. Now the bad--I found several foreign hairs on the bathroom and kitchen floor when we checked in--the floors had obviously not been swept and mopped. I had to ask to have the maid to clean the floor in order for it to get cleaned at all during our stay. The hall carpets of this hotel are ratty and stained. Nobody clued us in that we had to use the computer cord in the room to access WIFI--when we initially asked why we couldn't get it in the room the staff told us we could only access it in the lobby near the wireless router on the front desk. The last day of our trip we realized we could have had WIFI the whole time! I would probably stay elsewhere my next trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We were looking for cheap central accommodation, we wanted a kitchenette so we could be independant. We asked for a pool view, and when we asked for a balcony also they happily changed us. We enjoyed the privacay and although we lost the pool side, it was a good move as it was quieter. The place was tired, but had everything we needed. A pool to cool down in, a spa for tired feet, internet, and friendly people. Our room was well equipped with all we could need. Very good position for pick-ups for tours, buses,and walking distance.It was good value for what we wanted to spend.

Room Tip: a balcony over the pool, but for quietness a back balcony
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple