“Good but busy resort”

Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Vancouver, Canada
“Good but busy resort”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This was a beautiful resort, with many stores and pools, and right by the beach. It felt like it's own little city, hence the name "village". Rooms were very good, comfortable and very clean. It was very busy, so if you don't like that, probably not the best place to stay. We enjoyed it, and the location in Waikiki is close everything. Caveat: it rains in March, so come prepared.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tortitabby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just arrived back on Saturday after staying in the Lagoon tower - I work in travel so hopefully this prepares up and comers for their stay:

Room: We're a family of 4 adults and found it quite spacious and the pull out queen couch isn't so bad. Everything you would need is in the kitchen - microwave, pots and pans, blender, toaster. WIFI was on and off sometimes but worked 80% of the time. It's comp so who can complain. Request for a Lagoon view if possible for the nicer view. Maids come every few days. Washer and dryers are free as well and behind elevators. You can pack less clothing and do laundry mid week if you dont mind.

Food: We went for groceries at Walmart or Foodland near Ala Moana mall (15 minute walk if you dont mind a stroll) for breakfasts and lunch. The liqour selection wasn't bad at Foodland and prices are decent - some even on sale! We didn't really eat on property, only at Round Table for decent priced sandwiches and the ice cream shop beside is delish! We went to Sensai which has 50% off sushi promo (see Menu brochure for more details), its definitely worth the wait and about 45 minute walk through Waikiki. Otherwise, there's a IHOP and Wailana Coffee House (24 hours) across the street from hotel.

Parking: We parked at Hale Koa which is just a walk through the village and across the street in a multi level parking for $16 a day. You get your own card which you use to exit and enter at your own free will and there was always parking available at all hours. http://www.halekoa.com/about_us/list_services_and_amenities.cfm see parking pass rates

Beach: Very nice and the lagoon is enjoyable if you want a cleaner spot to swim. Just bought a beach mat for $3 to lie on the beach as you had to pay to rent chairs/umbrellas on beach. Lounge chairs by pool are at no cost. You cannot hold lounge chairs with towels longer then 45 minutes as resort has right to remove if unattended longer.

Activities: Luau we went to on the East side of island at Paradise Cove - highly recommended but traffic busy around 4pm so leave a bit sooner to bypass on the highway OR you can call and reserve and ask for them to pick you up for $13 extra for transfers. We drove and parking is included. Very nice spot with an excellent view of sunset and 2 drink tickets included.
- Resort offers daily activities such as lei making, flower bracelets, hula dancing etc

Service: Was great! Any housekeeping requests were prompt and check in/out was smooth. Concierge offers great advise and any help you need. Also a computer to print your boarding passes upon departure is also available - comp also. Bell guys are always available to assist as well.

Well worth it!!!

Room Tip: lagoon, high floor for nicer view
9 Thank klw_01
Seattle
Reviewed 2 March 2012

As stated in the "Title" I've stayed in every tower and prefer this "Lagoon" tower. If you're old enough and been at the village in previous years, you know these use to be rentals and then were re-done many years ago. You would never know how old this tower really is by it's appearance. It looks brand new throughout. If you like a private pool with access to all pools then stay in Alii Tower; I read a previous view from someone who downgraded it in comparison to other Hilton Vacation Club properties. I can't compare to other such properties, so my review is only regarding the Hawaiian Village and the over dozen Oahu properties I've stayed. So continuing after Alii Tower, my next favorite would be Rainbow because of views and rooms and ease to pools/restaurants, however the elevators can take a while because of the number of people waiting to get on compared to number of elevators available. The negative reviewer above preferred Kaiia Tower, I personally don't care for Kalia. I consider it along with the Tapa Tower to be more of a businessman's Tower where you don't care about view or the feeling of Hawaii. Diamond Tower is my last choice after other hotels on the island. The Waikikian Vacation Club does not have the many rooms with a view (the one I had was supposed to be partial view, well the view was the top of boat masts in the harbor if I leaned way over the side of the balcony so be aware of "partial" go for the "view" or another tower..in my opinion.
My only disappointment was the car valet because too many times there was only one valet working, so the wait was long.
We were on 6th floor facing Diamond Head/Rainbow Tower which I preferred, which means sitting on our balcony we could face and hear the Luau and special events on the grass area below. Plus a great view of the Friday night fireworks (make sure you find out the time and stick around to watch...it is impressive. There were some palm trees that obstructed view so get 7th floor or higher. Our room was straight off elevator and that was no problem for noise. It was good having TV in both living room and bedroom - cuts down on spouse complaint about program I'm watching or her trying to sleep. Both are nice large flat screens. I am Hilton Diamond member and didn't get upgraded, but I got the room type I paid for and was fortunate because every tower and Hotel was full for at least half my stay (I couldn't get into Hyatt, Marriotts, Astons, etc. because of Presidents Day week-end.
The Gold/Diamond members VIP breakfast is on first floor of Rainbow Tower and is a short, but nice walk. If you like to leave for work after that breakfast you might think using the main valet parking, always well staff and the morning guys run fast and the wait is not too long. There is self parking in garage and sometimes if there is a big event (like the Marine's Ball, etc.) it can be a challenge finding an open spot. The Lagoon/Waikikian is faster to drive into and out of if you're driving down Ala Moana from Airport/Ala Moana shopping center (just turn right after Iliki Hotel at stop light.).
Check in/out desk was fast and well staffed. Bell Desk was fast and well staffed. I had free internet, but that may have been because of my Hilton status, ask when you make reservation, otherwise don't be surprised at $15 or more charge.

Room Tip: 7th Floor or above, Diamond head side
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Seattlebiz
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Four generations of our family stayed in two apartments at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club Lagoon Tower February 19-27th and it was perfect. Not only were the apartments spacious and completely outfitted with all the kitchen supplies we needed, the location could not be beat. It is a 15 minute walk to the crowds and noise of Waikiki beach, so upon returning to the spacious beach, lagoon and landscaped grounds of the Hilton we always felt relaxed and calmed. We rented a car and hit Costco and Safeway to stock up on groceries for the week and the bellmen were most helpful getting all our shopping up to our apartments for a $5.00 flat fee. Obviously they have done this before. Half our group paid less for a Garden View apartment while we paid more for an Ocean View apartment and while our view was gorgeous out over Ala Moana Park and the Harbour, they had a perfect view of the pool for way less money! Same side of the building. The difference as explained by the front desk is that garden view puts you on the lower floors, but for the almost $1000.00 difference I would take that! The Paradise Pool is right beside Lagoon Tower and it is hands down the kids favourite pool, so if you are travelling with kids I would recommend this location, as we could lean over the balcony and tell each other when lunch was ready! The Friday night fireworks were impressive, and the ideal place to stand and watch is anywhere along the edge of the Lagoon.
Before we left I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and was very nervous about cockroaches in the room. Happily, we never saw any in either apartment, where everything was spotless.
One last thing - the Grand Waikikian might be newer and fancier, but it is set back farther from the Lagoon and pool compared to the Lagoon Tower, making it harder to keep track of your kids, and making it louder because of its proximity to the busy Ala Moana boulevard.

Room Tip: Even most garden view rooms have views of the lagoon or pool, if you don't mind the lower floors...
3 Thank Disneyfan41169
Hawaii
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed in a 2/2 ocean front timeshare with full kitchen. It's not as modern as the grand waikikian: the front door was a little sticky, the dvd player is a playstation, but you can't beat the view. We watched the "green flash" two out of three nights. Although its at one end of waikiki, it's not isolated. We walked along the beachwalk towards Diamond Head, cut through the Sheraton, and reached the international market place in less than half an hour. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms *66 and *67 are ocean front rooms.
3 Thank 4HNLmom
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2012

loved it there so beautiful , the Lagoon is lovely , the rooms are nice with every thing you need,the Pool has a Slide and waterfall which makes it so nice , its just Heaven I Recommend it 10 out of 10

Room Tip: Ask for a High Floor
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lornauk1
Warfield
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I love Hawaii. I love O'ahu, Honolulu and Waikiki. I've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village a few times. Rainbow and Kalia towers at the Hilton. Lagoon and Kalia towers at Hilton Grand Vacations. This review is about the Lagoon tower, where I am right now!
I like the HHV, I like the location, I like the rooms (especially the view from the Rainbow tower). I don't eat in the restaurants here (too expensive and better alternatives locally ... like the Wailana Coffee House for breakfast).
This is a busy hotel and even with "status" (I'm a Diamond Hhonors member and an Elite HGVC), there's no chance of an upgrade.
I don't think this hotel, and I'm talking HGVC @ Lagoon tower specifically, is representative of HGVC (and I've stayed at loads of them). The service is NOT friendly, it's not Hawaiian.
This is the second time that they have given me the worst room they could have given me based on what I "paid", and this time they said "I should have contacted them, to remind them, that I'm an HGVC Elite" ... the attitude is wrong here, it's just so untypical of HGVC, of Hilton and of Hawaii.
In future, if I can't book the Kalia tower, I'll stay at Hilton rather than HGVC @ Lagoon tower ... but I do love it in Hawaii, I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lagoon facing room, after all, this is the Lagoon tower.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple