“Great comfortable stay on a budget”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Waikiki Backpackers Penthouse
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed here for three nights and had a great time. I had a mixed 3 bed hotel room with ensuite. I didn't realise before booking but they are actually hotel rooms with three beds.

Breakfast was great, could cook 2 eggs and 4 slices of toast with jam and butter.

Common room was great and they even put on a free beer and pizza night which got everyone together, socialising and having a good time.

My only criticism is it was a little unorganized and every time you wanted to go to common room for breakfast or to use WiFi you had to call up and wait.
Other than that it was a great budget option in a decent location.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Jameshil
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed three days at the Waikiki Backpackers Penthouse, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there.

The Penthouse is unusual as a hostel in two ways. First, your bed will be located in the White Sands Hotel at 431 Nohonani Street, so if you are looking for a backpackers sign as you walk down Nohonani, as I did, you won’t see any. Just go directly to the White Sands Hotel to register.

Second, you don’t have your included breakfast at the White Sands Hotel. Beginning at 8:00 am until 10:00 am, you simply go downstairs to the White Sands Hotel reception and telephone (no charge, the number is next to the telephone) the Waikiki Backpackers Penthouse to say you are coming for breakfast. Then you leave the hotel, walk left for a one-half block to 427 Nohonani Street and enter the Hawaiian King Hotel and wait for someone from the Penthouse to take you up to the 6th floor by elevator. There you can prepare your own breakfast which consists of 2 eggs, 4 pieces of toast, butter and jam, coffee or tea.

The Penthouse is a very clean place with a nice view of the surrounding skyscrapers of the Waikiki area, especially from the terrace. There is a free computer in the cozy Penthouse lounge plus, if you have your own computer, free use of WiFi that works very well.

I hope you meet the manager from Kentucky, who is a wonderful person. She told me that she no longer has a Kentuckian accent because she worked so long with Brits and Aussies whom she led on camping trips.

I shared my hotel room with a young South Korean couple. In our bedroom were a double bed, a double pull-out sofa bed, and a single bed (mine). I paid about $35 U.S. dollars per night for the room, which included the simple breakfast described above (Honolulu is somewhat expensive, particularly lodging). There was no telephone in the room (not necessary anyway), but there was a working color TV with just so-so reception. There are no lockers in the room, but there is a small safe in the closet, which costs $2 U.S. per day to use. I felt that my belongings were safe in the room; naturally, I didn’t leave money or other valuables lying about (not a good practice in any hotel room for that matter).

The room was air-conditioned and the air-con unit is controllable by the guests occupying the room. There is also a small balcony with a few chairs just outside the sliding doors of the room. Backpackers are welcome to use the hotel’s small swimming pool at no charge, and there is a tour desk where they can book trips, excursions and activities on Oahu island.

The bedroom had a clean adjacent bathroom with hot running water, plenty of white towels, soap and shampoo, and a small closet with wooden hangars.

The best features of the Penthouse setup are location, cleanliness and Hawaiian hospitality. I cannot think of any negative features of the Penthouse (yes, the breakfast is skimpy but adequate). Overall, I was quite satisfied with the Waikiki Backpackers Penthouse.

Tip: The Penthouse does not accept payment by credit card. One must pay in cash only.

Aloha!