New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and up
Go Oahu Card
Ranked #46 of 316 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the University of Hawaii, the Lyon Arboretum offers 194 acres and a research facility.
Corning, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Margaret, our guide took us through the Arboretum sharing her knowledge of her home in the islands. Great tour.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Yorkxan

• Indonesian first
Bali, Indonesia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Lovely rain-forest hike in Manoa Valley, Oahu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

The Lyon Arboretum on Oahu is a great way to have a relatively easy, safe hike in a controlled and easily accessible park environment, where you don't have to worry about parking, safety, bathrooms, or meeting wild dogs or pigs on the trail! Manoa Valley is one of the nicest neighborhoods of Oahu, and also one of the lushest, so the Arboretum is always green and beautiful. The paths are fairly easy, but are a bit rocky (much of the path is actually made of chunks of small rocks) and muddy, so sneakers or hiking shoes are really useful!

The Arboretum's paths are easy to hike, but you can also make it more challenging if you want.

The gift shop also carries a small but well-chosen selection of tshirts, botanical cards, seeds and other items. And of course visitor donations help contribute to the educational and conservation mission of the University of Hawaii. There is also a flock of wild cockatoos and other birds that fly around. Dont' expect all the trails, plants and trees to be paved and marked ..it's more like a jungle-y experience where the paths have been trod upon and cleared for you.

It's a wonderful way to spend a few hours enjoying Oahu's natural beauty.

Visited February 2012
11 Thank MangoMunky
Vienna, Austria
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fantastic scenery,yet close to city.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Discovered this little gem by accident.This park is 10 minutes from Waikiki yet seems 100 miles away.We had a stroll around the main track then had a hike to Manoa Falls which took about 40 minutes.The track was not difficult,but a little slippery.The falls at the end were magical.You are asked to give a contribution of $5 on arrival-give more!! A couple of tips.If driving bypass the $5 park at the entrance to the park and drive on to the free car park at the office.Buy some mosquito repellent at the shop-well worth it!.There seemed to be some organised tours when we were there-might be worth looking into.Overall a fun day.

Visited January 2012
9 Thank riveroutlook
Lahaina, Hawaii
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Super cool place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

Accessible rainforest in Manoa, what a deal. I love that every once in a while a flock of parakeets would screech overhead! This place is amazing and wonderful and all they ask is a few dollars per person as a donation to enter. Our daughter loved it. I was heavily pregnant but still found the paths really walkable. We did find muddier paths that we stayed away from but for those without a fiesty one year old and a pregnant lady could probably find their way among the paths less travelled. It didn't feel like you were in Honolulu, that's for sure. Go here for some relaxing time away from the big city lights!

Visited February 2011
3 Thank JMinMaui
Lehi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“My favorite, most beautiful, place on the whole island of Oahu.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

I loved this place! Imagine a giant exotic tropical rainforest of 200 acres with endless trails to explore, a waterfall, gigantic trees, beautiful places to picnic and filled with jaw dropping awesomeness. And it's free! They only ask for a suggested donation of $5 a person (which you should seriously consider giving them) and act very grateful when you give them anything. There's volunteers to run it that will give you guided tours (I passed, because I had two small children who don't do guided tours about plants very well - but I did try to overhear another tour group).

Seriously, this place was amazing. I have never seen such beautiful gardens, and there were wild cockatoos flying around and so many amazing trails and gardens. I felt like it was this magical place, like I wasn't even on earth anymore. It was the garden of Eden, with giant trees. :-)

Anyway, I highly suggest you go see this place! It's right up the road from Manoa Falls (don't pay the $5 to park in their parking lot, but keep driving up the hill and there is a free lot for the visitors of the arboretum). You could spend hours wandering around the paths there if you want, or you could take just the main trail to the back waterfall and return within an hour if you want. Something like that. My kids loved running and going on and off the different trails and playing in the open areas, and there is a place called "Inspiration Point" with an amazing view. We'd already hiked Manoa Falls (the first part has beautiful open areas that used to be part of Lyon Arboretum, actually), and while the waterfall at the end of that hike is a little more impressive than the arboretum's, I actually prefer the trails around Lyon's than the Manoa Falls hike and would pick those over the Falls if I only had time to do one, hands down.

If I lived in Oahu I would come here once a week with my kids to go exploring. We went twice during our trip here. You should go there too. Go!

Visited January 2012