“Highlight of our vacation!”

Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve
Ranked #4 of 346 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A perfect snorkeling spot.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

This was the most incredible snorkelling experience of my life. It was stellar, and it is one of the few things you can do in the Honolulu area that's not hideously expensive, but it is one of the best!
It is easy, walk-out snorkelling on a lovely beach in a state park so it has facilities like bathrooms and fresh water showers to rinse off your salt and sand.
The snorkelling was DIVINE. I love snorkelling, but I am not a terribly strong swimmer, so I am used to boring snorkelling. The surf here is so, so mild, the water is shallow, and your biggest challenge is finding a piece of beach to get into the water without stepping on a bunch of coral.
There was equipment rental (ours came with our tour) and very attentive lifeguards, which is really comforting if you're with kids.
The 1.25/person to ride the tram back up is the best money you will spend all day if you're tired from swimming all day and you have kids with you.
The best advice I have is to leave your wedding rings at home (the fish try to eat them), pay for the tram up if you have tired kids, and BRING WATER. Snorkelling is thirsty work. If you can swim even a little, visit this place. It's worth it.

Write a ReviewReviews (14,530)
All reviews
in 140 reviews
"nice beach"
in 168 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

The Hanaums Bay is beautiful! Is like to point out a few items; parking is $1, entry to the beach is $7.50 per adult, your can walk or pay a $1.50 for a one way tram ride, they close promptly at 6pm and clear the water well before, all visitors must watch a short educational video about protecting the reef. I was with my two 9 year olds who are new to snorkeling so my opinions on the snorkeling sre limited, but we saw a number of fish.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

My spouse and I stopped by to take a look at Hanauma Bay from various viewing points overlooking the bay and beach from above. As we were not interested in a beach day and/or snorkeling, we did not pay to go down to the beach. There are a number of great viewing areas and we only paid the minimal fee to park the car. There were plenty of parking spots when we were there in March 2018. This place is easy to find using the GPS on your phone.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

We visited this briefly because the weather wasn't cooperating. It's definitely worth seeing and if the weather is good to try snorkeling. However, be aware that you do have to pay to access the beach if you want to go down there. You can however stand at various look out points along the path down to the visitors's center and see views of the whole area and surrounding scenery. There is also a lovely picnic area where you can bring lunch and eat!

See more reviews
Reviewed April 4, 2018

My wife and I have visited and snorkeled here since 2010. This past March 2018 trip we brought 5 additional family members who have never been to Hawaii. Their experience of snorkeling at Hanauma Bay will be a life long memory of this beautiful place. The nominal fee to enter is reasonable and yes everyone needs to partake in the 12 minute film regarding protecting the reef and grounds at the bay. This is a must for everyone young and old! The local bus goes up to the bay numerous times a day and really cheap rather then rent a car or do a tour which is a whole lot more out of pocket