“Disappointing pizza”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I ordered a Margherita pizza pie from Auntie Pasto's this week. While I've found pizza quality to be lacking in Honolulu generally, Auntie Pasto's sent things to a new low for me, which is unfortunate, especially as the pie smelled good enough. The main problem with the pie was the lack of cheese flavor. Additionally, the cheese was rubbery and difficult to chew (my cousin ended up taking all of the cheese off of his portion of the pie as it was that inedible to him). Perhaps this place has other items that are great, but I will not be back in order to find out.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed March 19, 2018

When we lived here in Hawaii, we ate at Auntie Pasto's regularly . Now that we live on the mainland we only eat here once a year. It's still really good, especially the eggplant parmesan or the fried eggplant with gargonzola. Love both of them - and the caesar with anchovies as well. Still recommend eating here and the price is right!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

Decided to pick up some pizzas for take out. Service was very pleasant and the restaurant looked very Italian, so I thought the pizza would be great. My expectations were too high. Pizza was bland and disappointing. Cheese didn’t even melt.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed January 31, 2018

Auntie Pasto’s has been at this Beretania Street location for quite sometime. The decor hasn’t changed much, if any over the years. The menu offers somewhat of a variety. The server/bartender assisted us for our evening meal. The pasta was good, Greek salad average, and vegetarian pizza was tasty. Prices are moderate and size of meals average.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed January 22, 2018 via mobile

This came as a recommendation as a ‘fairly good Italian restaurant’. I was early out of work so was the second customer in after opening time of 5pm for dinner. It took an inordinately long time to get a menu but I let that slide and out it down to ‘island time’. I eventually ordered Gorgonzola bread starter and tagliatelle bolognese. Another long delay and a slightly embarrassed waitress (the lone real server) returned to my table to ask if I wanted my entree as it was ready but the chef “wouldn’t get to the starter for 10 minutes” due to a rush of take out orders for pizzas.
I was hungry so agreed to the plan.
The bolognese was bland at best with most likely shop bought sauce that was not treated with additional flavoring.
Four fifths of the way through the entree the starter arrived. I would not recommend the ‘Gorgonzola bread’. The item was two pieces of barely warmed French bread with excess amounts of something that was presumably possible pesto and a few patches of flavorless cheese. It proved to be inedible.
Overall a big disappointment