Gyotaku Japanese Restaurant - South King Street
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Punahou & McCully
Description: Authentic & Contemporary Japanese Cuisine in a Family Friendly Atmosphere. Established in 2001 and voted Hawaii's Best Japanese Restaurant year after year by the readers of the Honolulu Star Bulletin, Honolulu Advertiser and Honolulu Magazine. Gyotaku is truly one of the most popular places where 'locals' dine. Sushi, Tenpura, Seafood, Steak, Noodles, Salads, Beer, Wine & Sake 3 Locations: Pearl City, King St, Niu Valley Closed on Thanksgiving Day
Reviewed 12 September 2015 via mobile

Definitely order up a sake flight for the table. It's fun to taste the different types and compare notes. Tempura, huge sushi order portions make it a great value, and the combos offer something for everyone. I ordered to types of sushi rolls and it was WAY more than I could eat. Service was efficient, decor done with shoji screens but not over the top, and the place was bumping. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 9 September 2015

This was my second time at this restaurant. I absolutely love the food at this place. They have very good quality Japanese food. The tonkatsu is perfectly cooked, tempura is light and not oily, the sushi is amazing, as well as everything I've tried here. Definitely recommend stopping in here for a great meal.

Reviewed 9 September 2015

I had visited this restaurant over 5 years ago and went recently for dinner. The chicken katsu (breaded chicken cutlet) and teriyaki beef and miso soup were tasty but the presentation was not what I expected. They used to have a nice teishoku meal in a wooden box (nice touch), with a small tossed salad, namasu, miso soup, rice, tsukemono and the entrée. This night, we were served on a plain plastic plate, with no namasu or tsukemono, but with rice and corn niblets (an odd thing for a Japanese restaurant). It seems they are catering to a Western palate but not what I would expect or wish for in a Japanese restaurant in Hawaii.

1  Thank HI_Traveller_12
Reviewed 13 July 2015

Enjoyed our meal at Gyotaku. They have an excellent menu featuring sushi and traditional Japanese meals. I like the Gyotaku lunch box with sushi, grilled chicken, salad, and miso soup. I also like the 2 choice teishoku meals. My favorite choices are miso butterfish and salmon. The atmosphere is casual and the service is good.
Enjoy!

Reviewed 28 June 2015 via mobile

Great place!! We are back visiting family and at the suggestion of my Aunty we went here for lunch. She called ahead and made a reservation for six. We were seated immediately and asked for our drinks quickly. David was great considering we kept taking (family catch up time) he never rushed us to order. The food arrived soon after ordering. Everything looked fresh and tasted great. Everything from chicken, fish, beef, and rolls were ordered.

This was an early lunch at 1130 the crowd was minimal, the food taste great, and the service was awesome. We will definitely visit here again for a meal and family time.