“The BEST!!!!!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Hawaii
“The BEST!!!!!”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

OK so the word is out about this truly wonderful restaurant/izakaya. Many years ago when we first discovered Imanas, my two daughters told me not to write a review because...well, you know the crowd thing, right? Anyways, when you read all the positive reviews on yelp and tripadvisor, you know that this place is probably on the top of everyone's list of fine Japanese restaurants. My youngest daughter received a huge bonus and wanted to treat the family to a dinner at Hy's, but we all opted for Imanas. Heck, who wants to eat top grade steak compared to the freshest and wonderful flavored Japanese food?! Not me, that's for sure. It was only 6:30pm when we were seated and the uni and ama ebi were sold out?! What?! No can be!!! I told the waiter that my daughter had traveled all the way from Hilo just to eat the uni. Not a total lie since my daughter just returned from Hilo on a business trip. He graciously apologized, "Gomen nasai" with a wide grin. Oh dah food: several sushi for starters like California Roll, natto, spicy scallop, etc., etc., all accompanied with a cold Asahi beer; some kind of salad for the mrs; hamachi sashimi (2 orders please), the most delicious fresh oysters on half shells (are you drooling yet?), kampachi collar (hamachi is my all time favorite though) which dah mrs devoured with a touch of grated daikon, lemon and soy, and the last dish was the fried burdock (I'm sure I missed a few dishes) and two servings of cold sake. We'll be back and they better not run out of uni and ama ebi!!! As we were walking to our car we passed a newly opened Okinawan izakaya on King St. hey, we had to stop in and have a night cap, right? Gyoza pizza? flavored awamori? Can't remember how we got home? Oyasumi nasai

• Visited April 2012

• Korean first
“Too good for you, tourist.”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I can't help you if you don't like this place. You're vacationing in Honolulu, so chances are you can't like this place -- Denny's is more your thing. But if you must vacation or do business here, and you have taste and a strong sense of self esteem, Imanas Tei is simply an excellent place for Japanese cuisine.

Visited January 2012
San Jose
“Awesome sashimi and nigiri for a great price”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I was planning to go to Sushi Izakaya Gaku but they were closed for the week so I ended up in this place.

We ordered quite a few things: 1 sashimi combo, 2 sushi combo, 1 tamagoyaki (fried egg), 1 fried tofu, 1 green tea ice, and maybe something else but I don't remember. The sashimi was really good. The fish literally melted in my mouth, and you don't need much wasabi because the fish naturally tastes good. They don't put too much rice in the nigiri so you eat more fish than rice.

All in all, the food we ordered was enough to fill up all 4 stomachs of my family, and it cost just a little more than $100. Wow! That's really amazing. I have seen many sushi bars in California that cost $70~$80 for just 2 people. This restaurant was a bargain. The service was also really good. We didn't have a dedicated server but any one of them would order for us. They also took the time to explain to us the difference between all the dishes especially if you're not good with Japanese Romanji. Lighting was just dark enough to give the right atmosphere.

Tip: In order to be fair, they only take reservation exactly up to 2 weeks ahead of time. Yes, exactly 2 weeks. They're Japanese, and they will not take your reservation if it's 2 weeks and 1 day ahead.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank NiwakaAme
Honolulu, Hawaii
“This izakaya will not disappoint”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This is a very popular Japanese restaurant, totally worth going to if you like Japanese food. It gets really crowded, so don't be surprised if you have to wait. I don't think they take reservations either.
It would be best to go with friends, as they have an awesome "nabe" (Japanese food cooked in a large pot on the table). Super fun to pick at it with your chopsticks with friends. Their sushi is also top notch. Fresh and tasty. I happen to love their egg sushi "tamago". Something about it beats all other restaurants that serve tamago sushi. I've also been impressed by the specials that they have. It seems they put in extra effort to make these good. The last one I had was fried "aji" (some sort of small fish) fried with some sort of horseradish sauce. Yum. They also have all sorts of Japanese alcohol to go with your food!

Visited December 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
“The BEST Izakaya Restaurant!”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

If you love Japanese food....I mean really consistently high quality Japanese food, you gotta go to Imana Tei. Hidden behind the 7-11 gas station in Moiliili, this fabulous restaurant is a hidden jewel.
We have been going there for years now and have NEVER, NEVER had a bad meal! Can't say that for most places.
My personal favorites....toro, garlic clams, garlic steak, agedashi tofu, grilled miso butterfish, dynamite, soft shell crab and finish up with the crab rice soup...don't need any rice....the Chanko Nabe is great, but it is a meal by itself. Just tried the vinegar oysters this past Saturday and will add that to our regular order....
Sometimes I don't like sharing my favorites because then it gets harder to get in there, but this is really a gem that deserves recognition!
Reservations taken only up to 7pm.

• Visited October 2011