“Very Cute Place”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ala Moana - Kakaako
Reviewed January 3, 2018

My family was craving sushi and a couple of our favorite places were closed for the holidays or booked. I had been referred here by a friend who recommended the scallop dish and the omakase (sushi). We got both. The scallops were yummy. Not a traditionally prepared dish, but really delicious. The omakase initially came with toro, uni, and several other choices, plus a roll that had shrimp tempura and spicy ahi. All were delicious. We were still a little hungry so we got three more which were tobiko with a quail's egg, shrimp and halibut with a shiso leaf (I think). All of those were good as well. The service was very nice, and the atmosphere is very intimate. It is a little hard to find with all of the construction going on, but if you find it, its great! Definitely will go back and try some of their other dishes. My only recommendation is that they should ask if you have any dislikes. I don't like uni, so I would have loved something else.

Reviewed December 30, 2017 via mobile

I come to the island at least every other year. My first time at Akasaka’s was four years ago and I always look forward to it. This year more family joined us and I made reservations for a party of 9. We were seated upstairs which was disappointing but to be expected. We literally were in the process of sitting down and she (I think the owner/manager) wanted our menus. The entire process was rushed. But again it had always been amazing so I chalked it up to being busy.
The sushi was not as good as previous visits, but that isn’t the entire reason for such a low rating.
Service was awful; almost like the rushed us to order and then disappeared. They missed out on additional orders.
Then I happened to take a picture of my bill to split with my party later. When I pulled up the bill, I found they overcharged us. They didn’t even bother to write my orders on the bill, just added more charges.
I will never go back.

1  Thank luv2btravln
Reviewed November 14, 2017 via mobile

This small Japanese sushi restaurant is not easy to find in a back alley nestled between two strip? clubs and a jazz club. But once inside we received a warm and friendly greeting and were quickly seated at the sushi bar as requested. There were a few groups and a couple there when we arrived later in the evening for dinner, but because of the small size, the place was nearly filled (exception being the sushi bar). We ordered hot saki, edamame and three rolls. The salmon avocado, salmon skin and spicy tuna rolls were the best we have tasted anywhere! Portions are not large (6 slices to a roll), but my husband and I were satisfied with what we ordered. The sushi chef was very friendly asking if everything was alright and if we wanted anything else, and the hostess who seated us and the server who helped were all very pleasant. Great late night dinner experience!

Reviewed October 22, 2017 via mobile

This is a little hole in the wall stuck between two dance/strip?clubs in a strip mall. But don’t be concerned. Once you are inside, you won’t remember what’s outside. It was close our hotel and the reviews were good, which it lived up to. The service was very nice and the sushi was so fresh! We had the special which was Spanish mackerel-2 pieces of sushi with a light citrus sauce. We also shared a rainbow roll which was good and the miso soup had lots of nori and tofu. The complimentary salad was just chopped cabbage with a spoonful of creamed corn next to it - not my favorite. It was a bit pricey but good sushi usually is.

Reviewed September 22, 2017

This is my favorite place to have a late lunch. Most sushi restaurants close at 1:00 pm. Akasaka stays open til 2:30 pm. And they always have the freshest of my favorite types of fish. And the service is the best.