“Excellent for Hawaiian food, if you are willing to NOT eat tourist Hawaiian.”

Helena's Hawaiian Food
Ranked #5 of 2,419 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Bare bones service, and serving/eating ware. But, food is awesome. Let's face it, the food is so good, who cares you are eating oyt of me,amine plates, and a plastic drinking cup.

There are newer reviews for Helena's Hawaiian Food

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Wow this is good food!! Just a little outside Waikiki it was easy to Uber on over! This was absolutely delicious and very authentic food that I'm glad we were able to try. Our Uber driver recommended the ribs and pulled pork and I also got the luau chicken and fried butter fish it was all delicious!! We were also glad they offered a sample size of poi I like most food and poi is a very bland and bitter dish but I'm glad we were able to try it without wasting a lot of it.

1  Thank EvanZoey
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I completely respect others review of the restaurant wherein they enjoyed the food BUT, i have to be honest, I didn't like ANY of it. I thought it was bland and the pork had an unnatural chemical taste to it. It is my personal taste and that of my family(with the exception of the boiled butterfish which my son enjoyed). As noted in other reviews parking is truly a nightmare.

1  Thank smah1867
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you want to eat what the locals eat, then you need to eat at Helena's Hawaiian Food in Honolulu. This restaurant is not in a tourist area, but it's worth the drive if you're looking for an authentic, local eating experience.

We arrived after the lunch crowd had left around 2pm so there was plenty of spaces available in their parking lot.
As we walked through the doors, we were greeted with "Aloha"s from about a half-dozen staff members behind the counter. We were seated immediately and given menus. We looked around and absorbed the atmosphere of this historic establishment that's been around for over 70 years and passed on through three generations.

We ended up going with one of their set menus, "D", which included their award-winning pipikaula shortribs, kalua pig, lomi salmon, luau squid, macaroni salad, a couple scoops of rice and poi. We were not disappointed as it was a great meal for our party of three. We were worried it was going to be too much food, but it was so good that we ordered an extra plate of the shortribs and ordered a few items to go for our family that stayed back at the hotel/beach.

Finally, I also have to give kudos to the staff. From the greeting we got when we entered through the whole meal, they were friendly, attentive and informative. One of the servers (sorry the big guy, I didn't get your name) kept cracking us up with his jokes!

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Really good authentic food, the people there are awesome, honest and hilarious! Highly recommend it! CASH ONLY

2  Thank Wentz4MVP