“Finally -- real Mexican on the island!!!”

Alejandro's Mexican Food
Ranked #667 of 2,593 Restaurants in Honolulu
Reviewed March 31, 2017

Not many get my five star rating, but authentic flavor is king at this wonderful hole in the wall! Clean, old world Mexico ambiance (not cheesy imitation) with friendly staff and chalkboard specials. It's small, but the place was packed Saturday afternoon when the wife and I gave it a try (including the tables out front).

Let's face it, we're a long way from Mexico out here in the middle of the Pacific, and the taste of what passes for Mexican here is also pretty far out. But Alejandro's has brought flavor to the island in a big way. The carne asada and homemade salsa take me back to when I lived in Albuquerque NM many years ago and ate great Mexican food every day. Gosh, I've missed that smell and flavor!

But no more -- Alejandros delivers what you've been looking for. Don't expect the same thing you get everywhere else -- this stuff will make you forget about that pronto. The logistics of parking can be painful here as others have noted, but the taste makes the adventure worthwhile. Be sure to try an agua fresca from their associated business on the other side of the Laundromat.

Reviewed September 7, 2016

I can't begin to say how amazing these tacos were!!! This was my first stop within an hour of getting off the plane (I was craving Mexican at that point).

I got the choice of one of each (carne asada, beef, and carnitas) and added some guac to it. DELICIOUS! Carne asada one was the best, without a doubt. It came with a side of rice and beans, which weren't bad, but not as awesome as the tacos.

Be prepared, no air conditioning and we didn't see a restroom (wasn't really looking for one at that point). But definitely the best Mexican food we had on the island!

Reviewed July 28, 2016

This restaurant is small in an out of the way location deep in Kalihi Valley surrounded by houses, no other restaurants in sight, but the people kept coming and coming! Alejandro is very friendly, and the food is out of this world. We paid $13 for the chicken enchilada special with beans, rice and free drink. It was ample for us two women to share. We would definitely go back even though we had to sit outside using paper plates and plastic utensils in a breezy atmosphere.

Reviewed June 7, 2016 via mobile

Ok we're in Waikiki tired of over priced, over rated, under performing, better then you attitude restaurants. All we needed was a little close as possible home cooking. In comes Alejandro's, one thing for sure you'll need Google maps or whatever you use to find it.
Call it a back country journey, at first you'll think you're lost, then when you do find it you'll be questioning your decision.
It's ok, get out of the car walk in and you're right at home. You'll be greeted by the gal running the place. She will treat you like an old friend welcoming with the don't be shy come closer approach. She makes sure ever order is right and she is in charge of that kitchen, best service, and kitchen is buzzing like a well oiled machine, cook staff seemed to enjoy their craft too inter-acting with customers. Lots of locals walking in.
Menu is posted with plenty of options, not the cheapest but worth it. We when at 630 pm. Kinda busy but moving along, the last minute rush,came in too. I can imagine what the lunch crowd looks like.
Asada was just like home So. Cali style full flavor not fast food. It was the perfect end to a foodie day garlic shrimp truck, Matsumoto Shaved Ice, then Alejandro's.
We will keep this as a must return. Less than 9 minutes from downtown. Parking is limited too, but be creative, it's ok to park around corner. Keeping it in the down low, good mexican food taste better with a frosty adult beverage, sold next door.

Reviewed April 5, 2016

Situated deep in Kalihi Valley is Alejandro's. It's small hole-in-the-wall eatery attached to the pink Valley View Market convenience store. Because of their small presence in Hawaii, Hispanic eateries are tough to find. Went for lunch on "Taco Tuesday" in March 2016. I was lucky enough to go after the lunchtime rush and scored a parking space right in front. My friend and I were the only ones there. The place is small but enough to sit a few people along the walls in front of the counter. We were lucky enough to meet Alejandro himself, working the counter and enthusiastically greeting everyone who entered his restaurant. Alejandro is very warm, welcoming, and treats everyone like family. He told us the story of how started his business as a food cart, then a food truck, and now graduating to a restaurant. After speaking with him, you can tell that Alejandro is passionate about Mexican cuisine and his food is no exception.

The special of the day was $0.50 off tacos on Taco Tuesday. I couldn't decide on what type of meat so I took Alejandro's advice and chose the carnitas ($2 after discount). The taco is in a 5-inch corn tortilla and comes with onions, cilantro, and salsa verde. Since it was my first time and didn't know when I'd be back again, I also picked up a Macho Burrito w/carnitas ($13). Alejandro warned me that it is a monster and he was right! The burrito is a 10-inch flour tortilla stuffed with Mexican rice, pinto beans, onions, cilantro, salsa verde, and your choice of meat. Man that thing was huge...it must've weighed a couple pounds at least. The taco and burrito were so good! Even though I wanted to, I couldn't eat the entire burrito in one sitting...it's just too huge. I can't claim to be a Mexican food connoisseur, but damn it was good. The food was hot and full of flavor.

I can't wait to go back again and talk story with Alejandro. Great guy, great story, great food. You gotta try it out.