“Embassy Suites Waikiki”

Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Seattle
“Embassy Suites Waikiki”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

(this is for a trip taken from 3/30 - 4/6)
An excellent property with a great staff.

The entire trip was made better with our stay here. (I have unreasonably high expectations). The reception desk had been waiting for us (with our late arrival at 11:00pm - and no call ahead). The 'bell' team members (hey, at 40+ you are not a 'boy' and I don't like the word 'hop') were very friendly and helpful.

The valet service rocked. With one exception of a team member who seemed a little 'on to the next task' oriented, all others were very attentive and on the job. We never seemed to wait more than 5 minutes to have our rental car back in our hands. Always remember to tip them. They are worth it. BTW: Parking is $30 a night, and is worth it.

I have no clue about the pricing for the room as it was a package deal. Not a cheap one either - but worth every penny spent.

Embassy Suites always has a free breakfast buffet, and this one was no different. Do not forget the fact that this is a busy property with plenty of guests, so you will see a lot a people for breakfast. It is from 6:30 to 10. The food is good (not cold cereal and toast) and hot. Massive dining area called the Grand Lanai. The staff are on the job and all the tables are cleared fairly quickly when someone walks away.

The room itself was great. We had a two room suite, and it was spotless and quite. Hawaii is notorious for having paper thin walls in any of the Honolulu rooms. Our room did not seem to follow this claim. However, we did have a room at the end of the hall, and the master bedroom was basically in the corner. I have no idea if the second bedroom heard anything from the other room next to it. Our room was on the same floor as the Grand Lanai, and actually right beside the entrance to it. But we never heard anyone of the hundreds of people going to breakfast each morning.

The pool (on the Grand Lanai) was nice, but you should always remember that any family hotel will have tons of kids in the pool, no matter where you go.This was no exception. The rest of the pool area of the Lanai had lots of sun bathing chairs / seating.

Also on the Grand Lanai was a bar (the Pakini Bar), and a Massage service. I used both. Both were excellent. The massage was given by a very talented woman who has been licensed for 15 years, but practicing ./ studying since she was 4. The style was Lomi Lomi, which I have had a hybrid of before, and enjoyed here. The bartender was also attentive, but also left you alone to stay on top of his other work. After a few Long Island's you don't care much anyways. It is an open air bar (as is true of many places in Honolulu) but not many people. Most of the customers are parents sitting around the pool watching the kids splash and play.

The house keeping staff was very courteous and would stay away if you were in the room at the time they came by. They would always come back later, and you always had a clean room before 3.

Check out was a breeze (as is with all Embassy Suites I have ever been to), and we were on our way after the bell staff picked up our baggage (one more then we arrived with :-) ) and the valet had our car brought around.

Was it worth it? Yes. Are there cheaper places to stay? Yes. (We could see them all from the the room's own private Lanai.) Is it on the beach? No. The beach is just a block away.

Room Tip: If you have the money, and need the space, I highly recommend a two bedroom suite.\ Higher rooms on...
2 Thank BruceOfBrm
bob_yeoman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Waikiki Beach Walk, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Aloha! Mahalo for posting a great review! Straightaway, I am thrilled that we met and exceeded your high expectations. It is flattering to know that every aspect of Embassy Suites Waikiki has positively contributed to your memorable vacation experience. I love your detailed expressions of accolades. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Know that I will extend your recognition and mahalo to the many departments mentioned. Mahalo for not only leaving footprints in the sand, but leaving sincere footprints of aloha.
Aloha a hui hou,
Bob Yeoman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Michigan
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed at the Embassy mainly because of the size and we travel with two teens. The room is good size and love the breakfast that they offer which is very good at this hotel. This hotel is not on the beach but close about a 6 min. walk and you are there on the beach. The beach that is close to the hotel is crowded, but you can rent anything from chairs, umbrella and boogie boards from the many huts on the beach. The pool is small at the hotel but you are close to the beach so we mainly went to the beach. Hotel is attached to shopping area and variety or restaurants. Highly recommend Ruth Chris that is behind the hotel. Expensive but great. I would stay here again for the convenience.

Room Tip: Not on the beach but close. Good shops and restaurants by hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sunnylooker
Aloha from the amazing shores of Waikiki! You are appreciated! Thank you for posting a gracious review. Isn't it just refreshing that it takes just a few steps from Embassy Suites to wiggle your toes in the white sandy beach of Waikiki? With two teenagers, I know that they enjoyed the many beach activities available. Thank you for sharing your travel tips and high recommendation of one of many great restaurants and shops that surround us. Mahalo for recognizing the value of Embassy Suites and for choosing us to celebrate your family.
Aloha!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Embassy Suites was recommended to us by our travel agent after our original booking at Outrigger Regency on Beachwalk was so called "overbooked" by the wholesaler for the peak time we travelled (January 2012).

We stayed at Embassy Suites for 5 nights with our 2 children (aged 6 and 4) and my parents who had their own 1BR suite on the same floor as us in the Aloha Tower.

Overall a very pleasant but expensive stay. Certainly a fabulous location and we experienced a high standard of service from the staff when checking in at reception, as well as breakfast and particularly the concierge desk who were 'spot on' with their advice on Pearl Harbour. (ie. to do a tour that included the Battleship Missouri memorial)

Managers reception was a great feature (no queues when we were there) and we really enjoyed the variety at breakfast, even my husband with coeliac disease at least had some gluten free options. The birds would normally not have bothered us however my poor husband did get "pooped on" during breakfast one morning and the children were certainly kept entertained with the staff firing their water pistols at the birds. A unique breakfast experience for our family indeed.

Had requested a high floor away from the elevator or stairwell but ended up on the 6th floor fairly close to the elevator. Fortunately there was not a noise issue for us and we all slept really well.

Kids loved the pool area and watching the nearby friday night fireworks. The service from the Pakini Bar during the day was also excellent.

MAHALO for an awesome stay!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lozzie6438
Cheers to you from Hawai`i! Mahalo for posting a review, it is much appreciated. Thank you for accepting the recommendation to celebrate your family with us. We empathize with the fact that it takes over 10 hours to reach Hawai`i and it makes me proud that you have acknowledged our staff and their Aloha Spirit. The comp breakfast is always very popular with all especially families, however, it appears to that our birds of a feather find our variety of food appealing too. Thank your children for helping us! As we continue to find the best resolution, we invite our guests to a spacious "breakfast" room to enjoy our delicious feast , uninterrupted. We look forward to you and your family returning to Embassy Suites Waikiki, until then Aloha a hui hou (until we meet again, aloha!)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We first stayed at the Embassy Suites in October 2009 with my wife and 6 month old daughter. We loved our 7 night experience so much that we returned in January 2011 with our new addition (8 month old son)! On our last trip we had a room on the top floor overlooking the ocean!! Amazing views!!!

We have so thoroughly enjoyed our 2 stays at the Embassy Suites that we have just booked our third trip to stay there for 8 nights in April 2012!

We love everything abou his hotel. It starts with the warm Greeting from the bell staff and front desk staff (complimentary refreshing beverage) and gets better and better from there. They are very accomodating and inviting for families with small children!

The pool area is a great big hit with the kids! The daily breakfast is an amazing way to start EACH morning, especially the made to order omelet station (but the variety in general is great). My wife loves the rosemary roasted potatoes and we all devour the best fresh tropical fruit!

It's a great location very close to the beach and close to great shopping and amenities (At the beachwalk development and close to Royal Hawaiian Centre).

It's more pricey than a lot of other hotels in the area, but well worth the extra money and great value overall. Beig an All-Suite hotel, the rooms are spacious and great for familes with kids (the whole family doesn't want to go to bed at 8:00 PM). We won't stay anywhere else in Waikiki!

Our three year old daughter will be making her third trip to Waikiki and the only hotel she knows is the Embassy Suites - our home away from home! Our destination of choice!

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Choiboy71
bob_yeoman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Waikiki Beach Walk, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Wow! Mahalo for posting an amazing review! It is truly an honor to host your family and know that we contributed to your memorable family experiences. I sincerely thank you for your generous compliments from our fantastic location to our spacious, comfy suites and the yummy comp breakfast and refreshing pool inbetween. Your recognition of our staff will be extended to all. Thank you again.
Aloha a hui hou, until we meet again
california
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here at the end of March through early April for 7 nights. Since I used Hilton hotel points, with going rate of ~$300 a night, we saved roughly $2000 minus $210 for valet parking fee. If I had to pay $300/night certainly I would've picked different hotel, but for what we had, it was a good stay.

1. Location: 3 stars Great and not so great. Great for dinning, Waikiki activities, shopping (if you like). Walking distance to pretty much everything we needed. Safe and good ambience location with Beach Walk stores.
Very bad for sleeping at night. For two night I was awaken by noise, talking, and music playing from downstair room. My room was right next to linen room but still could hear neighbor very loudly. Stree noise was at times very loud even at 10th floor. Even my deep sleeping kids were disturbed in the early morning by delivery trucks and bus noise and backing beepings.

2. Amemnities: 4 stars. Breakfast was a big plus, saved time and money but similiar menu 7 days in a row was getting tired. We didn't use pool. It looked discent but very small. Lanai is small and narrow. Microwave and small fridge worked good.

3. Staff: 5 stars. pretty much everyone working there was great especially bell boys and parking staff. Check in clerk upgraded my room from 2nd floor to 10th with a partial view (you really have to put your neck out over the rail of to see a glimpse of the ocean) after I insisted that I didn't want a noisy room.

Conclusion: If you want convenicence of Waikiki, breakfast, and suite (with free hilton points), it should be good stay. If you have to shell out a lot of money, I would consider something else.

Room Tip: Hula Tower has some partial ocean view but unless you are at the corner of the southern portion, you...
1 Thank chookgoo7
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I am not one that does review often, but feel that I have to do this one.
I have stayed here three times in the past three years and just love it. It is the only hotel I will stay at when I am in Honolulu.
As everyone mentioned, the hotel is in a wonderful location, very close to the beach, shopping, transportation and everything Waikiki has to offer. It is an all suite hotel, so very suitable for family traveling with young kids. The free breakfast and evening happy hour also helps with the cost when staying in Waikiki.
However, the best feature of the hotel is its staff members. I have been to plenty hotels. I have stayed at Ritz, Waldorf... But I never felt being treated so family like in any of the other places. I have contact the hotel concerning my reservation before our arrival; Kay Lee from reservation corresponded with me promptly and took care of all my request. Upon checking in, Rita made us felt so welcome with her smile. At breakfast, Russ walked by and stopped to talking to us every time and made suggestion for things to do. During breakfast on our final day there, Aldrin (I hope I spell his name right) came by and gave my daughter small sacks with candies and color books. She was so happy when she got her gifts... One thing I noticed is that all the same staffs are still there through our three visits, that says something about the hotel.
I would highly recommend the hotel, especially to families.
The only thing I would wish the hotel would do is to add Wi-Fi. Within our family of three, we have 5 devices to access internet, one connection port is not enough. Plus even the hard connection was down half the time we were there. I guess it tries to get us disconnected from daily chores.

Room Tip: The ocean view room is wonderful, I fee we were living in a picture. If you are traveling with part...
2 Thank ORD2012
Aloha and much mahalo for taking the time to post a great review! Needless to say I am honored and proud that you acknowledged our exemplary staff by name and that you choose to return to Embassy Suites mainly because of them. Rest assured that I will personally thank all for consistently exceeding guest expectations. Here in Hawai`i, many cultures live in harmony and are dedicated to the sense of family so it's very natural for us to connect with guests that choose Embassy Suites as a destination to celebrate the love of family. I am elated that we were able to make a difference. Know that we are in the process of upgrading our entire Wi-Fi system and expect completion within the next 70 days. We look forward to your next visit and sincerely welcome your family to your home away from home.
Until we meet again, aloha a hui hou
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel was so centrally located. We loved the free happy hour and free breakfast. The hotel also went out of the way to show guests their appreciation. Great housekeeping too (thank you Josie.) We learned you can also see the Friday night fireworks right from the pool deck while lounging comfortably on a beach chair. Everything about this hotel offered the comforts of home and even better!!!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank PortsmouthDiners
bob_yeoman, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Waikiki Beach Walk, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Aloha from Paradise! Thank you much for posting a cheering review. Location, location, location! What a difference it makes! From surrounding shops, restaurants and the beach of Waikiki steps away to the great view of the weekly firework display......this is just the beginning of what Embassy Suites Waikiki is all about! Thank you for acknowledging our cheerful Manager's Reception and our yummy comp breakfasts. I am proud to know that our staff extended their gracious mahalo to you. I too, want to say thank you for choosing Embassy Suites.
Make it a great day!