“It's in the Broth!”
Review of Junpuu

Junpuu
Ranked #576 of 2,622 Restaurants in Honolulu
Description: Finding authentic Japanese food was difficult for Eiji Kato when he first moved to the island of Oahu in 2000. After spending time working in different restaurants around the area, he took his love of cooking to the next level and decided to open Junpuu, a ramen-based Japanese restaurant for residents in the Honolulu, HI, area. Junpuu translates to "smooth sailing" in English, which is what Eiji strives for every day at this ramen eatery. Inspired by his mother, who was a Japanese cooking teacher, he uses his experience to create his own version of ramen combinations that are truly unique. Everything at this ramen restaurant is also made from scratch each day, ensuring fresh high-quality with every dish. The Tantan Men is among one of the popular dishes offered. It is made with an original tonkotsu (pork bone) broth that has been cooked for 16 hours and topped off with an egg that has been soaked overnight in a special sauce and cooked for exactly 7 minutes.
Reviewed August 18, 2017

I've been here several times and have never been disappointed, but I was especially pleased tonight. For the first time, I ordered the spicy miso ramen. The broth had just the right amount of spice and the noodles were the fresh kind of chewy. There were also bamboo shoots in the broth, which I loved because it reminded me of my grandmother. An old and dear friend met me there to celebrate his belated birthday (he'd never been there), and he just kept saying how good his tonkatsu ramen was. He ate every last bit of it and declared, "I'm definitely coming back!"

We also had some gyoza, which is consistently delicious here. It's never mushy. The outside is nice and crisp and the filling is tasty. Tonight, we also tried half of the char siu quesadilla. It was the kind of delicious where you give in and start licking your fingers because the sauce, drizzled on the outside, is that good! The quesadilla also came with sour cream and what looked like lomi salmon. My friend dipped his pieces in the sour cream and clearly loved it. I ate it plain because the crisp flour tortilla and char siu, surrounded by cheesy goodness, was enough for me.

The service here was also very good. I have yet to have bad service. The workers are always warm and welcoming, and they bring water and menus right away. They also don't let you run out of water, which is something that not a few restaurants are beginning to do.

We ended our meal by sharing a sweet potato pudding, which was delicious and a good consistency without being too sweet. It was the perfect ending to a great meal.

Reviewed June 23, 2017 via mobile

I am sorry! We could not take Ramen, noodle picture, because my daughters could not wait taking pictures. Their meals are so good for all our family.
First of all, in my current experience, this place is only serves no-MSG soup with gluten free noodle around Honolulu. Sure, you can chose normal noodle also.
Second, they are not only serve Ramen, but also provide other menu, such as Cha- shu Quesadilla, strawberry cheese cake and so on. Specially, I love OX tale soup, which was served only Monday.
All those reasons, we regularly visited there family and friends. I hope you find your favorite one. You can create your own special noodle with so many options. Please enjoy! Parking locate street and parking space behind the restaurant.

Reviewed May 12, 2017

I hadn't heard about Junpuu. We had planned to have lunch at the Art Museum, but it was closed and we stumbled onto this little gem on King Street. Fantastic ramen. I had the spicy miso ramen. You get to choose how spicy you'd like it. I like spicy so I ramped it up and was pleasantly sweating. My lunch partner had the regular Miso Ramen. There are other interesting sides and a curry rice, but this is definitely a ramen place. The noodles were the best I've had.

As far as prices go ... the ramen bowls are about $10.

The extra? It's right across from the concert hall and exhibition center. Next time I'm going to a show, I'll definitely plan on a pre- or post-repast here.

The downside? It's small. I don't think they have their own parking, but the Blaisdell Concert Hall lot is across the street.

Reviewed March 9, 2017

I have driven past this place several times and always wondered what they were all about. When you see a large banner waving in the wind you are drawn to the colorful display of ramen and the scent of something good. We finally decided to take the plunge and walked in. It's a small place, maybe 7 or 8 tables with several out on the lanai. The decor is Japanese Industrial with 2x6 lumber tables and industrial pipes for legs on the stools.. Kind of cool as the Industrial look is in. Now for the Ramen. We had the Vegetarian Tam Tam Min level one... meaning the spicy heat is level one, you can go further up the chain if you have in the past totally burned out your taste buds.. My fetching wife said .5 would have been hot enough.. Judge for yourself.. I like the heat but a bit too hot even for me..They make an appetizer of their own potato chips made to order..pretty good, light, airy but maybe just a touch more salt for my liking..Don't get me wrong, we finished the bowl with no problem. It's a pretty cool place for a bowl of ramen and prices are very reasonable. Two bowls of ramen, appetizer and a tasty pudding like dessert for about $25. Parking after business hours is free in the back lot and there is always parking on the side streets.. Overall a very good experience.

Reviewed March 9, 2017

This new ramen place is both reasonable and delicious. We never tried to before but heard great feedback from friends. The staff is also very friendly, informative and courteous. Can't wait to return to try other items on menu.