New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel

Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
Ranked #34 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Edmonton, Canada
“A great deal, would return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

For our second visit to Oahu, we stayed at the Aston Waikiki Circle hotel from March 22nd to March 31st, and we had a very pleasant stay. We knew the rooms would be small, based on the reviews, but there was enough room for the three of us, it really wasn’t a problem since we were only in our room to sleep. The shower was quite small, and water pressure was only okay. We managed though. It was clean, and that’s the main thing for us. The cleaning staff were friendly and efficient. I did like having a coffee machine in our room and the small fridge came in handy. Our balcony partially faced the ocean – room 602 - I think next time I would get a full ocean view room, since our room was close to the supplies room and we could hear the door slamming at all hours of the night (even with ear plugs). The air conditioner was also very noisy. I would say the noise was the only bad thing about the hotel – I had only one full night’s sleep due to the noise, but I figured for the very reasonable price of the hotel, I would catch up on my sleep at the beach.

The location was fantastic – right across the street from the beach! The front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and had copies of the bus routes and schedules, which was useful. There were two computers in the open lobby – access cost $5 per 20 minutes, and there was a printer to print off boarding passes (for a small fee). Beach toys were available to borrow, and although there is a restaurant attached to the hotel, the lineup was always so huge, we never ate there. We did see the menu and prices were no different from other restaurants with full service (e.g., Hula Grill at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, Margaritaville, etc) so we never bothered to stand in line (we did go down Seaside and Kuhio Ave to the Seaside Bar & Grill for an excellent breakfast of 2 huge pancakes, 2 scrambled eggs, and 2 slices of bacon – for $3.95 this can’t be beat – see review).

We were able to have our room for an additional 12 hours on our check-out day, since our flight didn’t leave until 10:30pm. That was a very nice option, and it only cost $75 – we were able to spend the entire day at the beach and did not have to worry about storing our luggage or having a place to shower – it meant we had a full last day of our holiday. I know this is not the fault of the hotel, but the taxi that they called to take us to the airport over-charged us by $10 – he took a left turn out of the hotel, continued on for a few miles, and then finally headed in the direction of the airport – there was no shortcut involved. I would suggest that maybe they use a taxi company that they know will not rip off their clients.

I would return to this hotel, but I would request a room as far away from the supplies room as possible.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the supplies room and bring earplugs due to noisy A/C
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank tinav3_travels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Eastpointe, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Unlike many waikiki hotels on back streets,this one on main road,with Waikiki(Kuhio Beach park) Beach right across street. Free hula shows at bandstand over there some nights. I have stayed at this location since early 90s,when privately owned by a Chinese lady who built it after Statehood--her picture in lobby. Then the rooms were $40/44/48; depending on the higher level of 12 story hotel. Now it an Aston property.and was freshly refurbished last fall.Two Aston properties are on both sides of Circle,and think they are condos. When I visited in Feb,a new Eggs and I had opened in lobby overlooking street. It would have been nice if I could have ordered takeout, but only waiting in line was available.This is a simple clean room with balcony place. If you want shops and bars and many restaurants in a hotel,look and pay more elsewhere. Best rate for me was Entertainment card,which they do make a copy of at checkin--think I got partial ocean view down to $120 that way. If cheaper city view,try to get room higher up,unless you want to look at parking structure form your balcony. Strangely, that area of waikiki by 10pm is quiet with hardly any traffic or pedestrians. Sleep quality notch down for me,only because think only two double beds offered,and I am tall,and used to queen beds.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Quasimodo47
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed at the Waikiki Circle for 10 days over Easter and I have to say it was very successful! Excellent location, friendly staff and although quite small the room was enough for my partner and I. Beautiful view from the our Room 10 05. Best to request a room higher up as you are on the main rd, it could be quite noisy at the lower rooms.
Mahalo for your service and I will definately be recommending this hotel to friends and family.
Regards,
Kate (downunder)

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tessySydney
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I would NOT recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. The only reason why people give high ratings at this hotel is because it is cheap. Well, guess what? You get what you pay for.
My friends and I booked two double beds at this hotel. We were shocked to find out that there was no floor space anywhere in our hotel room. Don't consider staying here if you're visiting Hawaii with more than two people. There will be no space to place your suitcase. My friends and I always felt crowded and cramped in our hotel room.
When it got hot and humid at night, I wanted to leave the AC on while I was falling asleep. Unfortunately, the AC always made a rickety sound that was so loud that I couldn't sleep with the AC on. We visited Hawaii in August which is one of the hottest times of the year. I wasn't able to sleep comfortably. Then we left the window opened one night to keep our room cool. We woke up with mosquito bites even though we stayed on the 10th floor.
This hotel room does not have a bathtub. It only has a shower stall. They used a white shower curtain. Unfortunately, the shower curtain was orange at the corners which was disgusting. I didn't want to know how old and unclean the shower curtain was, but we had to make-do with what we got ourselves into.
If I ever go back to Hawaii, I would not stay at this particular hotel. It's uncomfortable, cramped, and unclean.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms unless you're staying by yourself or just one other person.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Angela M
CIRMNGR, Manager at Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Aloha Angela!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I’m sorry that the Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel wasn’t the right fit for you and your party. At 245sq ft, our rooms are cozy for two, but can be a tight fit for three or four people. Our hotel is a great value for the location and views, but our condo properties such as the Aston Waikiki Banyan, Aston Waikiki Sunset, or the Aston Pacific Monarch might be better suited for larger groups.

At the Circle, we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel, and I apologize for any oversights there may have been with your room. I only wish that we had been notified so that we could have corrected the situation for you and made your stay more enjoyable.

Once again, thank you for your time and comments. I hope that the rest of your vacation went well and hope that you’ll be able to come back to Hawaii in the future.

Mahalo,

Andrew Graham
Rooms Division Manager
Gardena, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed at the Aston Waikiki Circle from March 25th, 2012 - March 30th, 2012. Could not have been happier. Fantastic location in Waikiki. Fantastic staff, Naomi, and the other staff members are great (sorry I forgot their names). The rooms are a bit small, but great otherwise. A small microwave would be a welcomed addition. But otherwise WE LOVED THE LOCATION, THE HOTEL AND STAFF!
Kevin & Rosa
Gardena, California

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Richmond, BC, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We just came back a few days ago. Had a very good experience at the hotel! If you want something affordable, this is it! It's steps to the beach (even though the work was being done on the beach in front, we still got a good view... unlike Marriot where there was a big pile of sand) that was only closed off in the morning for the project.

No pool, but we knew this and we weren't planning to use the pool anyways. Rooms were a little tight, but we knew that too. Good size cold fridge. Double beds, but comfy with comfy pillows! Clean rooms. This we all knew before we went.

Wow stuff we didn't know:
1. Borrow beach toys, floaty stuff, boogie boards, noodles for free.
2. Complimentary beach towels (sign out from front desk, borrow to your hearts content)
3. 10% off at Eggs and Things
4. Booklet with coupons at shops in other Aston hotels (especially kids free foods)
5. Complimentary Whole Living Magazine
6. Complimentary paper every morning on your doorstep.

Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly!

We had a late flight and they stored our luggage for free after check-out until we left for the airport.

We had a great time! We stayed on the 9th floor!

Room Tip: Choose Ocean Front or Ocean View if possible!
6 Thank mommy_from_YVR
Blainville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I loved this hotel because the rooms were all renovated as well as the washrooms. The location was more then perfect. I woke up and see the surfers just in front on us in the water, The rooms were small but who cares , I was always outside. There is no pool but a beautiful beach in front of the hotel. By the way they lend you beach towels and boards, The hotel is just in front of Duke's statue. On Fridays and Saturdays you can see hulas shows for free at sunset. The prices are more then great compared to other hotels around. There is a fridge in the room and plenty of ABC stores around. The only thing I didn't like: the AC was loud.
I didn't rent a car and used the BUS that goes every where. At the hotel they give you a map and in the back you have all the attractions worth visiting with the BUS lines.
A place not to miss is Hanauma Bay (7.50$ pp). You will be able to see plenty of fish even without snorkelling gear. I saw a big turtle as well. Bring food and beverages cause there are none by the bay which is a marine reserve. You would have to go up the hill to get anything to eat or drink.There are showers and toilets, as well as rentals (lockers and masks).
Coming back I stopped at Diamond Head, nice views but bring water and sneakers.
We took a surfing lesson with Bigwave Dave (www.surfwithdave.com) and it was just WOW and yes I stood a few times on the board and I am 50 (it was my birthday gift from my daughter) I also bought the CD with the pictures but I thought it was pricey (60$). I got as a memory.
Oahu was great,I'll go back for sure.
Ana

Room Tip: Take a oceanfront room, it's worth it
5 Thank 2012Ana