“Fabulous beaches, expensive food”

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Carlos, CA
“Fabulous beaches, expensive food”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The Hilton Hawaiian Village was just what I was hoping for. On check-in, I was upgraded for free. I don't know what that was worth since I've never stayed here before and cannot compare to a non-upgraded room. The room we got in the Ali'i Tower was very spacious. The bedroom area had plenty of room between the foot of the bed and the dressers -- nice when you have 2 little kids who are running around. The bathroom was divided into 3 rooms -- the toilet in a very small space, a sink and tub in the next space, and a double sink in the area closest to the bedroom. The overlarge doors were cumbersome. We had a balcony with a view of the other towers and the chapel. It was a very quiet room and we heard no noise from other guests, adjoining rooms, or the elevator. The elevator was gratifyingly fast. No long waits to get to our room.

I liked the location of the Ali'i tower. The Tropics restaurant and Starbucks was in this tower, the super pool was right outside -- we didn't swim there but after seeing the fireworks we could step into our tower and quickly to bed. It was very close to the main lobby, the village shops, and Camp Penguin for the kids. It was a long walk to the slide pools but that didn't bother us too much. We only walked to and from the slide pools once a day (spending the entire day there) whereas we were running back and forth between everything else and our room repeatedly.

The amenities of the resort included an amazing, humongous beach. The Hilton is adjacent to a military recreation area which means you aren't cheek-to-jowel with another massive hotel and its guests. The slide pool had a tube slide, side-by-side open air slide, and a toddler tube slide. My children loved it. The lagoon offered rentals of paddleboats, standup boards, kayaks, inner tubes, etc. Perfect for those who want some water sports but aren't keen on doing it in the ocean!

The resort restaurants were too expensive. $4.50 for a glass of milk! $10 for a hot dog! I really felt gouged. There was no food really near the slide pools. I had to walk quite a ways to get to the hot dog place which was expensive, slow, and not very tasty. Tropics was tasty but very expensive. We ended up breakfasting at Starbucks after the first day. If I'm going to pay over $4 for a cup of coffee, it will at least be a Starbucks cup of coffee.

The village had lots of shops and restaurants. I wish we had gone there for dinner instead of Tropics. Round Table Pizza was cheap eats. Benihana was terrific fun. Lambert's Ice Cream was very good. And we bought our souvenirs at ABC.

My biggest disappointment: The Starlight Luau, held on the rooftop of the HIlton, was not held over the weekend and was sold out for the days that we were there. (We ended up going to Magic of Polynesia though and that was probably a better experience in the end.)

Room Tip: Ali'i Tower is centrally located. Rainbow Tower is closer to the slide pools.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank KarenB_California

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cibolo, Texas
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We selected the Hilton Hawaiian Village because we wanted to be “on the beach.” Our ocean front room in the Ali'i Tower was spacious with a nice size lanai. The only negative was the lack of a T-Mobile signal inside the room. To use our phone we had to sit on the lanai. Check-in and out was quick and easy. There is plenty to do in the village and a very helpful staff. Their Tropics restaurant has a good pulled pork sandwich for lunch and their Mai Tai was the best we found on our trip.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TX-BJ81
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We only stayed here 2 nights, but I wish it had been longer. Lots of stuff to do both at the resort and within walking distance. Shopping , listening to live music, people watching, eating. Since it was February, it was a bit cool, only low 80's, and sometimes windy. But it was very pleasant. The room was very nice, nothing special, but we were hardly in it. We were upgraded to a room with partial ocean view. It was fine and we could see over the city and water. We really enjoyed the music by the bar outside our tower and sat there listening to different groups. The water was too cool for me to go in one of the several pools or the ocean.

Room Tip: I'm sure one of the towers closest to the water would be lovely, but also pricey.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 10 March 2012

very disappointing. the place is huge. all they want is your money. people unfriendly. waste of money and time. i will not come back to hilton or waikiki

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Shabingie
JAPAN
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Before returning home to Japan after our Europe trip we decided to break it up for a couple of days and relax at the HHV. Check in at the hotel was painfully slow, there were long lines even on the HH side.We were pleasantly surprised to see that as highest level members of the HH program we got upgraded to an ocean view room on the 31st floor of the Rainbow Tower. The room is fantastic, very spacious and just recently remodeled. The mattress is heavenly and provided for a very peaceful sleep which was only improved by listening to the ocean waves rolling on shore. Interestingly enough, although the room is high up, noise for the beach and pool area is quite intrusive. The room comes with a fridge, a safe and a coffee machine. The flat screen TV has good programming choices including NHK Japan. The balcony overlooks the beach and we have a great view towards the Diamond Head area. Internet is free for HH Gold and above as is complimentary Continental Breakfast. Try not to sit outside, the birds are in your food quickly. There is a breakfast buffet at the restaurant on the ground floor which I can't recommend. It is overpriced with a limited selection of food and just not worth it. The bathroom is of good size, the amenities are top notch, there is a bathtub, deep and Japanese style it seems.Parking is very expensive at $ 24.00 a night, we looked for free parking around the area and found a spot on the Ala Wai channel. We arrived on a Friday and got the usual Friday night treatment of a Hawaiian show at the main pool and the wonderful fireworks. This is certainly a nice ending to a wonderful trip and we will be sad to leave tomorrow.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank WEISSBIER
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Hilton Hawaiian village-this 5 star hotel disappoints me...here is my real experience...can you believe If I raise my hand to call a server, it is being rude? I was in a restaurant called "Tropical" in this hotel, and they gave me Japanese menu after I was seated. I raised my hand to call one of a female waitress to change to the english menu for me. She came by and told me that " put your hand down...you are being rude!." I told her to get me another server, and she said "yeah...sure...that's a lot easier." She got me another server called Ramfis who was much nicer. However, I was really upset at that time so I complained to her manager, and he promised to talk to this waitress. After the conversation, she went back to her work and gave me the gesture of "what are you looking at?? I am not gonna apologize for anything!! " Omg!! I guess I am really unlucky with this hotel because it's my second time to be treated badly. First one is on the phone before I came and the second one is in the restaurant after I come. I have been to Hotel Riu Palace in pv and Melia in Cancun. These hotels are also 4 to 4.5 stars and those people are very nice...they smiled a lot and treated us nicely...but in this hotel, we pay for everything, and we still got bad experience...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Mandy L
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed here in July 2011 in the Tapa tower. The was great. We had a "partial" ocean view, but to me it was a FULL ocean view. It was beautiful. The private beach at the hotel is gorgeous. The pools were all great and my son had a blast. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay there. The only problem is how busy it is and how they nickel and dime you on any extras, but we were expecting that. Also, there was no obvious place to self-park, so we valeted most of the time. Check-in took FOREVER, but it was the prime time for everyone to do the same. Once we got past check-in, though, our stay was near-perfect. The animals throughout the resort are so neat. My son loved it. The food is very high-priced, but that's to be expected.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family