“One cold pool away from being 5 out of 5”

Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
Ranked #46 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Maple Ridge, BC
“One cold pool away from being 5 out of 5”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This property is in an excellent location. The hotel is just 3 short blocks from central Waikiki Beach and has very nice rooms for a very reasonable price. I like the convenience of the small kitchenette, the staff were very friendly and professional. The two drawbacks are the pool and the street noise. The pool is small and it is COLD!!!! and the rooms have only single glazed windows so you get street noise if your room faces Kuhio Street. I hope they get to double glazing the windows to save energy and reduce the noise and pool is a little better heated so that the next time I go to Hawaii; I can give the Aqua Bamboo 5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Try and get a courtyard room. The ones facing Kuhio |Street are a bit noisy. Double glazing would...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Aloha DGM1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

We are thrilled that you found the staff to be friendly and the location to be a benefit for you while you were in Waikiki. I apologize that the pool was a bit cold for you and I will bring this up with our engineers. We also understand that Waikiki is a busy and noisy area. We offer earplugs at no charge, and would be delighted if you contacted us for any future reservations so that we can make sure to get you in quieter accommodations.

We truly appreciate your selection of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa and look forward to seeing you back in the years to come!

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks during Christmas & New Years. What can I say - I like going to the beach on Christmas Day (it sure beats the cold weather on the mainland). I usually go to Waikiki every two to three years and from the reviews I read online beforehand, I decided to try the Bamboo for this recent trip. Of all the hotels I've stayed at in Waikiki over the years, this has so far been the best. I did pay a bit more this time for the room than I usually do, but it was worth it. The hotel is 2 short blocks to the beach, walking distance to everything, and the rooms are updated, compared to a number of other hotels in Waikiki. I was given a room on the 9th floor (and in Waikiki, the higher the floor, the better, due to the noise at street level). The room had an ocean view, which I wasn't expecting, due to it being behind the Hyatt. I originally figured the Hyatt would have blocked the ocean view, but I had a good ocean view on either side of the Hyatt's eastern tower. The staff were excellent on all work shifts. On Thursdays, at 4:30 PM, the hotel holds an informal gathering for interested guests, which included a couple of drinks and a magic show at poolside. For those days when you are trying to avoid the sun for a few hours, the TV channel selection is superior compared to the Ohana Hotel's limited channel selection. I had no complaints with this hotel, but only one suggestion to the owners of the hotel: please trim or remove one or two of the palm trees by the pool to allow in a bit more sunshine. There was a couple of times I didn't feel like walking to the beach, so I reclined at poolside (along with a large rum & coke, LOL). Due to the shade from the palms (and from the east tower of the Hyatt), you don't get alot of direct sunlight for extended hours at poolside. For first-timers going to Waikiki, I'd recommend this hotel, and if you are trying to save a few dollars, then consider staying at the Aqua Bamboo's neighboring hotel a block away (but definitely at this end of Waikiki due to the close proximity to the beach and amenities) and to avoid north east Waikiki due to it's distance to everything, unless you like walking. The rooms are cheaper in north west Waikiki, but I personally won't walk blocks to go to the beach anymore.

Room Tip: If you choose a hotel on Kalakaua, Kuhio or Ala Wai Streets, request a room "away" from th...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Scott U
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Aloha Scott U,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your room and the view of the ocean that it offered. We are also very pleased to hear that the staff was exceptional and that you enjoyed our weekly Manager’s reception. It is also wonderful to hear that you found the location to Waikiki Beach to be a big benefit to you!

Pleasantville, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed here 3 nights. The location is great, only a couple of blocks from the ocean and all the activity of Waikiki, without the high prices. Our room was clean & in good shape except for the AC units. We had a suite (a free upgrade they gave us) with a master bedroom & twin beds in the main area. The AC unit in the master bedroom made a loud squeeking noise, so we slept in the main room, where its unit was just loud. Our room was on the street, so you heard a lot of traffic all the time. Ask for a poolside room. We also have a full kitchen which meant we could make meals if we wanted.

If you can live with the noise (remember you are in a city), I would recommend the hotel. The pool area is very lovely. They have beach chairs and mats availabe for guest use. Free coffee & tea in the lobby. The staff was very helpful.

If you are on a budget & want to stay near the beach in Waikiki, this is a good option.

Room Tip: Ask for poolside.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Aloha TravellingFloyd,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your upgraded suite with the full kitchen. We are in the midst of replacing all of our AC units as we understand that they can be noisy. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our Outer Sanctuary and our complimentary amenities offered in the lobby as well as finding our staff to be helpful during your stay with us.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Bed was comfortable, however we could not use our balcony as they were working outside, rooms are average, very noisy (even with ac going). Pool area small, but nice. Wifi in lobby is terrible. Property is well located, just very dated.

Room Tip: Face the pool if possible
Aloha Tropicaltrip_12,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. Your honest feedback is very valuable to us as tool for our improvement.

We apologize that you were inconvenienced by the exterior renovations being done to the property. The balconies on the side of the building being worked on are closed and locked for our guest’s safety. We do understand that this is not what is expected for a relaxing vacation, but the renovation will benefit the structure of the building and that along with our guest’s safety is of top priority to us.
We also regret that you experienced difficulty with our internet service. We have been in constant contact with our contracted internet provider to improve the service of both the in-room service and wifi service in the lobby and poolside.

Sidney, Maine
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed at the Aqua Bamboo with my husband for several nights mid-January after reading all of the reviews... and seeing the price compared to other hotels. You are only a block away from all the big oceanfront hotels, so we would walk over there and have lunch or a cocktail, but were happy to retreat back to the Aqua Bamboo.

I requested a courtyard-facing room (looking at pool) and this was honored. I had read many other reviews on Tripadvisor suggesting this and I am glad that I did. The view was great and it was pretty quiet. The renovation noise was pretty distant.

Pros:
Free coffee, tea, ice water and lemonade in lobby
Free newspaper & apples
Beach chairs and beach towels available
Charming pool area
View of ocean from lanai
Wifi at pool

Cons:
The property feels a bit worn and aged despite inside renovations
Wish there was WiFi in the rooms rather than needing a USB cord, but cords are provided free of charge so that's a good thing.

For the price and location, I certainly recommend this room.

Nearby dining suggestion: If you want to the right about half a block there is a great local restaurant called "Ruffage." Excellent smoothies, acai sorbet bowl, and chicken teriyaki bowl all at extremely reasonable prices. Definitely recommend this for some cheap local food!

I also highly recommend going to Roy's if you want to spend more and have a more upscale experience -- best food I have ever had.

Overall, I would recommend Aqua Bamboo for the price, pool and location.

Room Tip: Courtyard-facing high floor
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Aloha Jessica G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We are absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your courtyard view room and our many complimentary options that we offer. We are so happy that you benefited from the convenient location to the beach and many dining and shopping spots. Also, just to inform you and our other Trip Advisor followers, we are in discussion about our options regarding the replacement of the in room internet with wifi service, which we hope to have a plan implemented this year.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 January 2012

When we checked into the hotel, we were informed that since we were only staying one night, they upgraded us to a suite at no extra charge! And the suite was REALLY nice. There were two private lanais and a small kitchen. The beds (there were two) were very soft. I particularly liked the bathroom: all the towels had orchid flowers tucked in the folds, and the floor of the shower was black river-rock type stuff.

We really stayed a short time, so I can't talk about the location of the hotel. Parking was just next door in another hotel's garage, but was an extra charge - $20 for 24 hours, though you could enter and exit as much as you wanted. The ambiance was as beautiful and relaxing as I had hoped, and the staff were very nice. I would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Aloha Stephanie E,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your upgraded suite and the intimate and relaxing atmosphere of the hotel. We are also pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly.

Clinton, Ohio
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I had booked the Bamboo after reading a review of it in the book "Oahu Revealed" by Andrew Doughty. He called it a "Gem" and so do I. It was my first trip to Oahu and I was a bit overwelmed by the size of Wakikii. Hotels everywhere! Aqua Bamboo is not one of those huge hotels. It has a gorgeous private pool area, lovely rooms and it's close to everything. We were lucky and got the Penthouse Suite. We travelled with family and we each had our own private room and bathroom. Loved the Lanai! Perfect place to be for the New Year's fireworks. We were front and center! Our bed was so comfortable. There was a Sauna in the master bath! Chairs,mats or floats for the ocean? They have an area to borrow theirs for NO charge! We were a bit disappointed that the spa was closed, we were going to get mani-pedis, but, there was a great place for that right next door. Maybe they can turn the building for the spa that is next to the pool into a tiki bar. Now that would be awesome!

Room Tip: The higher the room the better. Suites are not that much more expensive and are much nicer.
2 Thank OhioVeronica
Aloha OhioVeronica,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade to the Penthouse Suite and that you enjoyed all the luxuries it offers! We are also delighted that you found comfort in our cozy, intimate atmosphere and that you found the location to benefit you during your time with us.