“Fantastic Location and Great Staff”

Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
Ranked #44 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights at the beginning of March and it was great. We were slightly apprehensive due to the comments about the daytime work but it didn't affect us at all. We were located on the 9th floor and there wasn't any work being done on our side of the building (plus its done during the day when typically you aren't in your room anyways).
The location was wonderful - a 3 minute walk to the beach (of which Bamboo provides the towels, beachmats, beach chairs free of charge). The restaurants are numerous around the hotel, all in walking vicinity.
The weather wasn't the best so we didn't use the pool but it did look very nice. There were some people using it.
The Thursday night evening was wonderful. They provided a welcome drink and veggies, etc with music and sketch artist.
All in all, this was a great hotel. Although this is not a five star it is a hotel that I would recommend. Very clean and the service was wonderful.
The only negative, but in reality it is similar to all the hotels in the area, there are busy streets around which you may hear. But, close your sliding glass doors and enjoy your room.
We also had a kitchenette which was great to warm up our leftovers and make popcorn.
Thanks again Aqua Bamboo....

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor - 9th & up
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OntarioTraveller123
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Aloha OntarioTraveller123,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We are so happy that you found the central location to restaurants, shops and Waikiki Beach to benefit you while you were with us. It is also wonderful that you enjoyed some of our complimentary amenities such as beach mats, towels and chairs! We are also thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our weekly manager’s reception, the Bamboozle.

We truly appreciate your selection of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa and look forward to seeing you back in the years to come!

There are newer reviews for Aqua Bamboo Waikiki

Reviewed 9 March 2012

We are a couple in early 60's traveling for pleasure. Stayed here 5 nights pre cruise and 4 nights post cruise. We found things very much as described by others. The location is very convenient to beach and center of Waikiki and we walked most places, The courtyard is very pleasant and has a small hot tub,4 person max to be comfortable, water temperature was hot but not too hot and the staff kept it filled or quickly responded if asked. There used to be a spa in the courtyard but it is closed and I meant to ask if the hotel was planning to use the space for something else such as a small gym room which would be a great idea. I enjoyed the ice tea, lemonade, lemon water and coffee available in the lobby plus the large bowl of apples . The staff was generally very friendly and always responded quickly to any requests. The Thursday night get together was a nice touch.

We had two different rooms on the 9th floor facing the courtyard with a little view of the ocean. One of the balconies was closed in one room due to repairs but it was not the one facing the courtyard with furniture and we were gone during the day so did not hear any noise. Each room was a little different with its own good and bad points but both were very clean . There was a bit of wear on some furniture or loose plaster on some areas near air conditioner or patio door but nothing terrible. Beds in both rooms were very comfortable, sheets nice and the towels were very good. Both had single cup coffee makers with pod type grounds supplied daily. The wait between cups was a little irritating. The layouts of the two rooms were different. One had the kitchenette and desk areas in a different small room from the bed area , had a smaller bathroom counter but did have a wall cabinet which was nice. The bathroom sink seemed too small for the fixture and usually oversprayed a bit. This room had two nightstands and lamps which were appreciated. Both rooms included robes which were terry lined and a bit too warm some of the time but appreciated. The other room had the desk, kitchenette and bed all in one room. The kitchen area was nicer than the first, more counter space,larger sink and cabinets but the microwave was on a shelf which I would deem too high. The bathroom had been updated with a nice counter which extended over the toilet for storage but no separate wall cabinet. The sink in this room was a good size for the fixture which was bamboo shaped. The bed was placed right next to the lanai so access was not as easy and there was only one night stand which did not make one person happy.The sheer curtain in this room had a small hole and little tear that I noticed but this was no big deal. We could hear street noise even on the 9th floor but that was mostly sirens. I don't know if having double pane glass would help as somebody suggested but you are in the middle of a city so expect some noise. Some of the floor tiles in the hallway were cracked or missing a piece but this is an older hotel which has been pretty well maintained. We were very happy in general and would return. I have tried to be factual about this report as I felt that I had a good idea of what to expect by reading reviews and feel realistic expectations can only improve an experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WisconsinNewtraveler

Aloha WisconsinNewTraveler,

We are pleased to hear your positive reviews of our hotel and your constructive critiques are also much appreciated. We are so delighted that you found the staff to be friendly and attentive to your needs and that you enjoyed the complimentary amenities we offer such as beverages and apples in the lobby. We have replaced the Aqua Spa with an independent spa, named API MedSpa who just started business this week. We are happy to have another spa to enhance our guests experience with us.

Regarding the rooms, I am pleased that you found them to be clean and the discrepancies were not so severe that the rooms were not in a good working condition. We are in the process of contracting a company to refinish our room furniture. I will pass your comments on to our Maintenance Supervisor for his review and attention to the quick fixes. We will also take your feedback into consideration the next time we do any interior remodeling.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

This hotel has a great location and staff. You are only 2 blocks from where many tour buses meet and about 4 blocks from beautiful Waikiki beach and lots of action. Then when you come back to the hotel it is a nice peaceful haven to relax.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank chris t

Aloha Chris T,

We are pleased that you enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere at the hotel and the convenient central location to tour pickups and Waikiki Beach. We are also thrilled that our staff provided outstanding service during your time with us.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights as part of a holiday to Hawaii. The staff were helpful and friendly throughout the visit. I was travelling on my own, but the staff and hotel allowed me to feel safe and comfortable at all times.
I stayed in 2 rooms over the 4 nights, one which was facing onto a busy road which was noisy, but not overly. The second room I was given was higher and facing a quieter street (with ocean glimpses), I had asked for a higher level room when booking and they accommodated this request.
Location was good, easy walk to the beaches, bus stops, shops and restaurants.
I didn't notice the renovation noise at all, although my first room's balcony was locked as part of the renovation process.
I would recommend this place to others travelling to Waikiki

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing a quiet street, and one that is on a higher level
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Aloha Jo_Australia288,

I am very pleased to hear that you felt safe and comfortable here at the Bamboo and that our staff provided you with helpful and friendly service. I am also glad that we were able to better situate you in a more comfortable and quieter room. It’s so great that you found the convenient location of the hotel to bus stops, dining and shopping to benefit you while you were with us.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed at the Aqua Bamboo in 2011 & 2012. On both occasions, my experience was terrific. The hotel is clean, well appointed, staff are very friendly, helpful and accomodating. The amenities are terrific, pool & spa, complimentary iced tea. The hotel is located close to shops, car hire outlets, tour agents, a bus service right out front, short walk to Waikiki beach. The rooms have a small kitchen which was most suitable for my family needs, though we were so close to all the well known restaurants, we had the choice to eat out or stay in and self cater. I have no hesitation in recommending the Aqua Bamboo Waikiki to any prospective holiday maker - singles, couples or families. The location is terrific! I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did. We WILL be returning to the Aqua Bamboo on our next Hawaii holiday.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank joanne B

Aloha Joanne B,

We are so thrilled that you found the staff and the hotel to be so accommodating for you on both of your recent trips to Waikiki. We love that the location benefits you being so close to Waikiki Beach, shops, and anything else you need. We are also so happy to hear that you enjoy the complimentary amenities we offer such as apples, newspapers and refreshments in the lobby.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the aqua bamboo for our honeymoon travelling from Australia. Great location close to the beach and shops. The pool was great after an afternoon of shopping just for a relax. Rooms clean and staff wonderful....

I say this about the staff as on the 7th day of my honeymoon I had an unfortunate accident at Waimea Bay and was dumped by a wave that resulted in a broken back. The staff at aqua bamboo accommodated my husband even though though they were booked out at the time and also my family who travelled over while I was in hospital. One staff member visited me in hopital on behalf of the hotel with fruit, flowers and a card signed by all the staff. Nicole the hotel manager sent food baskets to my husband and family in their room. I can't thank them enough for their support and kindness during this most terrible time. I'm looking forward to one day going back to aqua bamboo and spa to see the people that helped me through a terrible time.

I Also enjoyed the Thursday night cocktail evening around the pool where we had free cocktails and met people from home and around the world!

Love Hawaii and once I'm better I hope to save up and return! (avoiding waimea bay of course ;-)

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank Lia32
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Aloha Lia32,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa.

I have to say I will never forget you and your family and I am certainly honored that we were presented with this opportunity to help out. I can’t imagine what you have gone through and it is good to know that the little we could do did made it a bit easier for you and your family after experiencing such a traumatic event. Yes we are running a business, but deep down we are here to take care of our guests so I am pleased that we could accomplish that.

All of us here wish you the very best and hopefully an easy road to recovery. We truly look forward to seeing you back in the years to come!

Reviewed 1 March 2012

I stayed at the Aqua Bamboo for 3 weeks during February. I was most impressed with the hotel staff who were so friendly and helpful. The first room I stayed in was rather noisy because of the renos but they very kindly moved me when space became available. I ended up staying on the 10th floor facing the pool and it was glorious. Nicole and Puna were particularly kind and helpful and I was very grateful for their commitment to finding a suitable room for the rest of my stay. I would highly recommend this hotel as it is very close to the beach but mostly because it felt like a home away from home!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Aloha Dollydeer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful during your stay. We apologize we were unable to provide you with the most comfortable room from the get go, but I am glad that we were able to get you in a comfortable and accommodating room so that you could relax and enjoy your time in Hawaii.