6,414 results
All reviews the shore bird shorebird restaurant ocean house restaurant pacific tower the kani ka pila grille ocean front partial ocean view waikiki beach the activities desk diamond head our honeymoon time share city view pool side hawaiian music oceanfront room mai tais
Reviewed February 18, 2018

I have stayed at the Outrigger Reef about 5 times in the past 12 years, either solo or with friend. My review couple of years ago can no longer represent my current position. I was at the Reef end of January 2018, and in addition to the pivotal fact that both the restaurants I loved are gone, the overall energy of the Reef has significantly changed. I already sent my evaluation to the management so this is just to reiterate that the new Outrigger is yet to come out of the flames. Too much going on now that is not resort quality. I am sorry to say that. The owners have sold the properties, so don’t expect the same as before.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank YMRob
OutriggerREEFResort, Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience staying at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. Please accept my sincere apology for any service provided that was less than expected. We are taking the necessary steps to prevent similar situation. Thank you once again for taking the time to write this review. Aloha

Reviewed February 18, 2018

Image yourself sitting in an open-air lobby of a beautiful Hawaiian Hotel with a gentile breeze blowing off Waikki Beach---that is exactly how i spent my early morning hours with a cold dark coffee from Starbucks right there next to the lobby. The Outrigger Hotel is situated on Waikiki Beach as well as right in the heart of Honolulu's shopping district with many nice restaurants. We found the staff to be very helpful in helping us becoming acquainted with Hawaii. .Tip: the Kani Ka Pila Grille situated off the hotel lobby serves very fine Mia Tias and One of the BEST burgers featuring Hawaiian beef that i have ever enjoyed( I am from Iowa and know a good burger) and besides good food there are Hawaiian singers most nights featuring traditional Hawaiian music and sometimes Hulu dancers. So if your in Honolulu and want to be in the heart of the city as well as on Waikiki Beach with cool tropical breezes than the Outrigger would be a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Most rooms offer a view of Waikki Beach
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
OutriggerREEFResort, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2018

Aloha Ron,

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review our hotel. We can definitely picture the great time you had at our resort. Your words really encourage us to continue offering our Hawaiian Culture as the basis for everything we do here at the Outrigger Reef. We hope that you can come back and visit us again very soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2018

When I was planning our trip to Hawaii I looked at many hotels in Waikiki. The final choice came down to Outrigger Reef vs Outrigger Beach. I chose the Reef and I'm so glad I did.
I decided that as I was celebrating a special birthday I would book a1 BR suite. It was a bit more than I planned to spend but it was a great choice. It was on a corner and had 2 balconies- one in the lounge area and a smaller one off the bedroom (which overlooked a building).. As we had some other family members staying in Waikiki it was a great place for pre-dinner drinks. It was beautifully appointed and even had a small kitchenette,

Our daughter also booked into the Reef and she had a room on a lower level which had a small courtyard. She was also happy with her choice.
We chose to include breakfast each morning (in the Market grill) and sitting at a window overlooking the beach was a lovely experience.
It was a quieter location than the O/Beach but still close to everything.

Room Tip: From our room as we had a view over the pool area from our main balcony we could also see the ocean,
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
OutriggerREEFResort, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2018

Aloha SKIpal,

Thank you for choosing Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort and for your feedback. We appreciate your recognition as we take our guest's experience with utmost care. We are happy to know you enjoyed your special birthday trip at our resort!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort.

Reviewed February 17, 2018

Hotel was amazing, arrived to fresh juice and towels. Lots of amenities in the hotel, lots of shopping. Music every night by the pool. Food and drinks at the restaurant were very good. Beach is a bit rocky but pool was excellent. Would highly recommend this hotel.
Very friendly staff.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends

Aloha Tgplus2,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your recognition as we take our guest's experience with utmost care. We are happy to know you enjoyed our welcome amenities and the nightly music at Kani Ka Pila Grille.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort.

Reviewed February 15, 2018

My wife and I have just returned from 11 nights at the Outrigger Reef. I have noticed a number of reviews on this thread that pertain to the other Outrigger so be careful. Any mention of Dukes and you know it is not this Hotel.
So even though I have given the hotel just 3 stars, it is probably more like 3 and a half stars. The hotel is showing some signs of age but that does not mean you shouldn't consider staying there. It all boils down to what you consider important and those things that you don't really care about.
Starting with our room, it was a Family Suite with city views. We paid $245 US per night. That is a bargain in this part of Waikiki and made the stay enjoyable. This was a 1 bedroom suite with lounge and family area separate from the bedroom. The suite was in good condition although starting to show its age. Carpets and block out curtains provided a good nights sleep.
The bathroom although clean, is dated. That said, the hot water in the shower was plentiful and never ran out.
The entrance and public shopping areas in the hotel lobby look 4 star and provide most of the nic-nacks required for a beach holiday.
The Gym is located on the lower ground floor. This is possibly the worst area of the hotel with persistent puddles of water fouling the air. The Gym it'self is small and cramped and in need of some maintenance.
So on to the dining facilities or lack there of. The website still lists Room Service available 24/7. Well sadly this is not the case. There is no Room Service.
The Reef Bar and Market Grill is right on the beach and is the flag ship restaurant. Well it is not 'ala carte' and given I grill my own meat every other night, the last thing I want to do is cook my own steak on a holiday.
The Kani Ka Pila Grille and Bar services the pool area and provides nightly entertainment. Although the menu is a bit limited, the food is pretty good and probably the best thing going for the hotel.
The pool has also seen better days.
Now all that seems to be a bit negative but .... the hotel rooms are large and comfortable. The hotel it'self is a nice walking distance from the hustle and bustle of central Waikiki where there are great restaurants. You can't beat breakfast next door at the Halekulni and Giovani Pastrami does excellent New York Deli food at a great price. There is also a Denni's just 2 minutes from the hotel which is always crowded and Roys opposite which is a real restaurant.
So the Hotel is currently just that. It is less of a resort and more of a comfortable place to lay your head of a night. If you can drive a bargain on the room rate and resort facilities are not that important to you then the Reef might be the answer. However, if you are paying over $500 a night, then possibly the Halekaluni, Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surf or Sheraton (in that order) would provide more of that resort feel holiday.
Also be careful you don't get allocated a room on the right side of the hotel looking into the Waikiki Shore.

Room Tip: Left side looking at the beach
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barrykrussell
OutriggerREEFResort, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2018

Aloha Barrykrussell,

Thank you for sharing a review on TripAdvisor and for clarifying the other reviews that are meant for our sister property, the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort.

Although you have mentioned that you found value for the family suite category, we are disappointed to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your stay. If you have a moment, I would be grateful if you would respond to my direct correspondence to you so that we may discuss your experience further.

The areas of improvement you have pointed out will be discussed in depth with our management team for improvement. We sincerely hope that your next visit will be much better and that you can enjoy your dining experience at our restaurants.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Mahalo,