5,754 results
All reviews beach bar the banyan tree rocking chairs tower wing beautiful hotel oldest hotel waikiki beach heavenly bed older part original building ocean view old hawaii diamond head new tower an umbrella heart of waikiki resort fee
Reviewed June 11, 2018

The pictures online before booking were charming, what an original looking hotel. You might picture this place in the Southern Belt of the U.S.

Upon arriving the first thing you notice is the traffic. This hotel is located in the middle of all the action on Waikiki beach. This could be good or bad for others. It's very loud and you hear the street noise from your room, even if you are ocean facing as we were. Upon arrival the bell staff and front desk were terrific. Upon receiving our room key, we found the rooms to be average at best, but certainly not for the price we paid.

The hotel is very pricey. Rooms, drinks and food. The pool area is small and old, something you would never expect in a fancy hotel. For others that don't care, you have a beautiful ocean at your doorstep, however it is very crowded with people, surf boards and catamarans landing on the beach front. Watch your children closely. In the afternoon there is live music which was nice and again the service all around was terrific.

After paying $28 dollars for bacon and eggs the first day, we explored this hotel chains sister resort two doors down. You can charge food and drinks to your original hotel when visiting sister properties. Here I paid $18 for the same meal. Multiple pools, same great beach and afternoon entertainment. We will be back to the second resort.

At night there are hundreds of places to eat and the shopping nearby is a mix of casual to the worlds most expensive brand stores.

Pro's: Location, hotel staff
Con's: Expensive food and drinks, average room decor, very loud property, small outdated pool, difficult to get a lounge chair

Overall we were disappointed for the price we paid for this trip. The pictures all look nice, but my recommendation would be the neighbor property "The Sheraton", both SPG properties.

Room Tip: Upgrade for an ocean view, partial view may overlook the neighbor hotels roof
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank vpvalencia
StarwoodWaikiki4, Manager at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2018

Aloha vpvalencia,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa for your recent visit to Hawaii. We are delighted to hear you had enjoyed the location of the women, as well as received great service from our associates. On the other hand, please allow me this opportunity to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced regarding the size of our pool, noise levels and pricing of our food and drinks. At the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, it is our goal to provide a renewing resort experience at every level for all our valued guests. I am truly sorry to learn that we did not accomplish this with you. I will make sure to send your feedback to our management team so that we can address the issues you faced. We truly apologize for the multiple shortfalls you encountered during your stay with us. We thank you again for your thoughtful comments, and we will work to make improvements. We are disappointed that we have let you down, and hope that if you choose to stay with us again, you will see improvements.

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana (with warm aloha),
Karen W.
Moana Surfrider, Guest Experience Team

Reviewed June 10, 2018

We stayed in a Diamond ocean front room with balcony. The views were stunning. Shawn, a Concierge, was great to deal with; helpful and kind. Janet in the breakfast restaurant was lovely; a consummate professional. Cocktails served by the pool were very good, and Eric was a friendly and cheery server. We had a good room service dinner on our first night at Moana. Housekeeping was excellent.

However, considering we were paying $760 a night (without breakfast) there were a few areas of service that could be improved upon. I spoke with a manager called
Shane about them, who said they’d be discussed at the next day’s management meeting. I once again ran into one issue I’d raised with him a few days later. There is an escalator leading to the day spa. Whilst there’s a lift that can take guests up there and they can be let in via the back door, a bizarre atttude among some staff of wheelchair bound guests use only seemed to prevail! On my second visit to the spa on Saturday (the afternoon before our leaving) I took the lift to the spa and buzzed the Phone to be let in the back way. All was well. A pleasant employee admitted me. Upon leaving when I said I’d be taking the lift, a recalcitrant staff member told me I’d have to take the escalator. I repeated that I would like to take the lift. She stared me down and said that I couldn’t! I told her I had left via the lift on the last occasion and all she had to do was to open the back door. She gave me a filthy look and grudgingly opened the back doorway for me. Frustrating and poor customer service given that I already raised the issue with a Manager a few days earlier.

Room Tip: Diamond ocean front room with a balcony is great.
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2018 via mobile

After five days at the Westin Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel on the Big Island , as the locals call the island actually named Hawaii but referred to as the Big Island to get around the fact that the whole group of islands is termed “ Hawaii “ and tourists get confused by that , the group moved back to Honolulu on the Oahu island to be near the HNL airport to allow movement by some to San Francisco , or the workers back to Australia .
The oldest hotel in Waikiki, the Moana Surfrider, 1901 , was chosen as the last venue .
It is situated literally right on the beach of famous Waikiki with a fabulous view along the beach to the bluff of a hill , Diamond Head . The hotel , it’s garden for drinking and eating , and it’s new next door modern tower , have a sort of low dividing wall along the sand , then sand for 15-20 metres and then the Pacific Ocean till Australia . Lookout for tsunamis, as our Hawaiian hosts said .
The nature of the old hotel has been preserved beautifully with stained wood , Venetian windows and deck chairs along the balconies .
A seamless joint to the newer tower provides service desks , escalators , a shopping arcade and lifts , ballrooms etc .
The reservations desk appears to have a max of 6 positions so how they cope for a Jumbo load of Asian guests escapes me .
Our little party of 20 late afternoon mid week was handled easily . Signs at the lifts of the tower advise against use if there was a fire . You nearly die of old age waiting for one in normal times .
Somehow the guests manage to fit into the beer garden but the trick is to send a scout in advance to secure a table .
The queue for breakfast , at any hour , allows you to stand there and finish the local paper . It is handled electronically by a screen that guides the receptionist to source a waiter to escort you to your table ., ONCE one becomes vacant .
The forward scout trick works again as you can secure a large table even you present alone .
Due to the popularity of the hotel with Asian guests , very little of the breakfast caters for Anglo Saxons but I am sure that the hotel can adapt at a second’s notice to it’s coming patronage .
The staff are efficient and helpful but nowhere as laid back as our first stop . Twenty times busier too though .
After Westin Hapuna the tower room was a come down, half the size and with a bathroom the size of my wife’s shoe box , as she scornfully informed me . Toilet tucked in a tight corner , shower over a tiny bath , no good if you are arthritic , and with a basin top big enough for 3 glasses , two lipsticks , some deodorant and a small soap . My wife , whom I spoil , gives it a 3 out of 10 compared to Hapuna .
However , we are talking PRIME real estate here and every inch counts .
It certainly is situated on the main drag , with a Tesla shop over the road , Rolex , top fashion shops , etc. all top dollar .
How you fit a Tesla car in your duty free carry on I am not sure .
The other great shop over the road is the ABC supermarket and gift shop . Alcohol at prices to make an Aussie cry , and every sort of souvenir you may wish .
Also , if you feel like a cut sandwich with cheese and ham , egg salad or turkey etc to eat on your balcony , they have little cheap plastic packs of them .
The hotel also has an ice machine near the lifts , something every hotel should have to cool your cheap drinks .
I forgot to mention that the Hapuna does NOT have machines , just an ice bucket in each room filled by the housemaid , usually midday or later . Melts away quickly in this climate anyway .
I carry a plastic ice tray cut down in length to fit in the usual small bar fridge in most rooms , if the fridge has an ice compartment .
Meals in the garden were fine in choice and price over the few days we stayed there . My wife gives 10 to the garden and bar atmosphere , and a 10 to the weather , compared to our freezing back home .
All the hotels seem to fit into a strip of four streets parallel to the beach , with a canal running behind . Local houses start the other side . Not sure if the long wide canal is there to drain away inland water or protect the locals from the tourists .
Maybe vice versa .
Anyway , if you are being picked up to go to the airport , expect a long tour around 5 to ten hotels if your lift turns up in a twenty seater mini bus .
Allow plenty of time also for getting THROUGH check in , security and the 5 kilometres walk , so it seemed , to the boarding gate if you are flying Qantas. Right at the end of the buildings .
A 7.30am hotel departure just makes 10.30 am flight .
The locals are genuinely scared of tsunamis and one Government official lecturing us raised the possibility of a giant tsunami coming over from the Big Island in about an hour if the fault line along the front of the currently erupting Kilauea volcano , with it’s line of 23 or so crevices along it’s front , decided to let a 20 kilometres or so long part of the mountain slip down into the ocean facing Honolulu.
No more Honolulu , but unlikely .

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank paulocon2016
Reviewed June 7, 2018 via mobile

The guest services at this hotel were exceptional and particularly noteworthy. Throughout our 40+ years of travel we have stayed at many high-end, famous resorts. However, it was the exceptionally polite and accommodating services of the front desk staff—especially a gentleman named Noy that made this resort stand out above the rest. When we asked to be moved to a room with a better ocean view, Noy took the time to look through many room options to find the one that suited our desires best. Additionally, when I informed him of my husband’s passion for a particular amenity they offer he gave us an extra special treat that made our vacation especially memorable.

All the hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very clean. The Toto toilet seats were a nice surprise. The fact that the resort sits right on the beach was especially delightful. Live music in the oceanfront bar was enjoyable. Dining while watching the activities on the beach and taking morning walks in the sand was absolute bliss.

One of the best vacations we ever had. Hope to return next summer!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yogiiam
Reviewed June 7, 2018 via mobile

From the moment that we arrived, we were made to feel welcome. Al and Frank were super helpful and kind. All of the staff was great throughout our stay. The guys at the towel stand, wish I remembered their names, were super helpful and friendly.

The building itself is beautiful. There are ample places to sit and enjoy the breezes, to people watch or read. There is a historic banyan tree in the courtyard that is gorgeous.

The room was very comfortable and up to date.

This place has it all, great location, beautiful surroundings and people like Al and Frank who made our stay special.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends