“Excellent location, beachfront topped with excellent service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Sheraton Waikiki
Ranked #33 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney
“Excellent location, beachfront topped with excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Just married (in March 2012) and decided to use Sheraton Waikiki as our base. We stayed 5 days (taking advantage of their one day free for every 5 nights stay) then flew out to Maui. Instead of looking for an alternative accommodation on our return from Maui, we stayed at Sheraton so we could leave our luggage in their secure storage area. Then on our return we stayed another 2 days.

For our first stay, we had a balcony facing Diamond Head, the beach. Then we decided to get the mountain view on our second visit. Definitely worth the extra room rate to have the beach/water front view. I also noted the beach/water front rooms were more "sound proof" and we didn't hear the other occupants along the corridor or next rooms (unlike the mountain view rooms).

Their poolside was very relaxing to laze about or if you like you can just take a couple of minutes walk down the beach.

We also enjoyed the food and cocktails at Rumfire.

What I enjoyed the most was that the resort fee covers: parking, one hour international call/day, 24/7 free internet. NB. I recently re-activated my SPG membership so maybe we got these privileges as a Sheraton member, given that the resort fee is a mandatory fee around Hawaii.

Now during our stay I had the unfortunate experience of slipping and hurting my lower back. I have to say that the staff were very attentive, checking on a daily basis.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luveely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Perfect location, right in the heart of the buzzing Waikiki area and the beach. The lobby area has plenty of stores, but for drinks and snacks, definately go to the ABC stores they're a lot , theres plenty around! The rooms are modern and the sea view is amazing.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The infinity pool is a great place to relax and has a pool bar, it has a perfect view of the Pacific and occasionally saw some sea turtrles, but like all hotel pools, if you want a space definately go there early or just before the pool closes to get a space. The hotel also has a great kids pool and plenty of things to do on site for families.

Definately one of the best hotels in Waikiki

But a must do in Oahu is snokeling, saw wild dolphins turtrles and whales up close in Wai'anae. The hotel has a great view of Diamond Head, which is another great thing to do in Waikiki, great views from the top. The interntional market is a good place to go for small gifts, can get great deals there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sejal p
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton for a week late March early April and we are a family of 4 with two kids ages 2 and 7. When I chose the hotel, for me it was important that it was on the beach and that had a kids pool and Sheraton was a logical choice. I also read lots of reviews and I knew that the hotel is not the newest and that the rooms are tired but I did not care much for that since I was to use the room just for sleeping and showers.

What I did not expect is the total failure of housekeeping and don't understand me wrong we are easy going people and not picky at all. For example on the first day when we came from the beach there was only three clean towels in the room and four of us. The kids and I took showers and my wife had to wait a full hour for her towel to be delivered. Now that delayed us for dinner and our 2 year old gave us such a hard time during the dinner because she was too tired and it was too late for her, and instead enjoying a dinner we were just trying to manage her. And with all of that hassle I wasn't upset with the hotel, it's just the first day and probably housekeeping didn't know how many people are in the room, no big deal.

When they forgot to leave us coffee one day. no big deal we just phoned in and the coffee bags were delivered. Next morning when I wanted to make that same coffee and realized that they didn't leave us cups either I still wasn't upset no big deal, we will drink coffee later with breakfast. For some reason there are so many pigeons that live on the balconies of the hotel and they are not afraid of people (I assume some of the guests have fed them). With them there, there is bird poo all over the balconies and balcony furniture and when my kids occasionally step or sit in it I did not get upset. I looked around and all the balconies looked the same, covered in bird poo, so I thought that was normal there. I thought even if they clean it, it will probably look the same the next day with so many birds around. So no big deal.

But then on the 4th day of our stay the housekeeping totally forgot to clean our room! Now I really don't care for the beds being made, but clean towels are a MUST! Now we have two adults and two kids covered in greasy sunscreen, sea salt and beach sand and we can't take a shower, that made me really upset! The kids want to jump all over the bed, I am trying to stop them so they don't make them dirty, my wife is freaking out because the phone is not working and she can't call guest services and the pigeons on the balcony are laughing at us. So my wife goes down to put in a formal complaint and to tell them to clean our room. The manager on duty was very sorry for what happened and told her that they are overwhelmed with so many rooms and that we have to understand them because housekeeping is working from 9 AM to 6PM every day and he gave her two coupons for free drinks.

Now his explanation really put us back at peace at least I knew why I couldn't get a shower and I just wished that in stand of those two coupons he gave us some clean towels. Those coupons I did not want to use out of principal because I do not need your free drinks Sheraton, how about just delivering what I paid for. So it took about two hours till whole ordeal was over and we didn't even go out for dinner that night, because one kid was already sleeping while the housekeeping lady was finishing her job and the other one was really tired. So after that day I started using survival tactics, like take clean beach towels with me when returning to the room on the end of the day just to be sure. On the 5th day everything was fine but on the 6th day, we got a HUGE surprise!! Our balcony was bird poo free. I could not believe it! I looked around and all other balconies still had their poo on, which made me feel really special. I guess that is that unbelievable Sheraton experience everyone talks about. Too bad we have to leave the next day because I could really enjoy that clean balcony. Other than that everything was great. Kids pool is awesome and food in restaurants is good, little bit overpriced but that is expected for hotel of this class and location. I would go back but will raise a hell on the first day, just to make sure my balcony is cleaned right away and that we receive service that is promised.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank midnightVancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and loved it. Next to great food places, shopping and people.
beach is great, nice walk on the beach.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Dilip P
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Has it's pluses and minuses, but generally an average hotel for me. The adult infinity pool is great, especially in the afternoon as the sun is setting. However, you need to get down there early in the morning to put a towel down in order to get a spot. If you show up at noon you will inevitably be frustrated by the fact that half the seats are empty but all are "taken" by guests that just put a towel down and left for a few hours. Location is at the better end of the beach so that is definitely a plus. Rooms are average, nothing spectacular, nothing bad. One of the bigger negatives for me was just the constant hecticness in the lobby and pool areas. This is Waikiki so it should be expected, but definitely detracted from the Hawaii experience for me. If I was only rating relative to other Waikiki hotels Sheraton probably deserves a fourth star.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keiththevol
chino, ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My FIL stayed here and told my husband and I to at least check it out. We went it was nice with all the new renovations they did, but boy was it crowded at the lobby area and all throughout the hotel. There was very little room for my personal space, I was touched a number of times by others, and it seems just chaotic. Personally I think they should restrict entry to hotels by using a key or something so there isn't a million people walking around EVERYWHERE. We were extrememly happy about our atmosphere at the Hale Koa in comparison, where they kicked people out if they didn't belong at the hotel or were trying to spend the night at the local parks.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Solon, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for one night before flying to another island. The hotel is very large and has to handle a lot of crowds. Unlike other reviewers, our checkin was fine. Not spectacular, but fine and efficient. We had 2 rooms next to each other for the 4 travelers. We were staying on hotel points and as SPG Platinum were upgraded to a partial water view room. The rooms had a balcony and a decent view. One room had some unknown bugs, but not enough to ask for a different room. The room itself is typical Sheraton with nice beds and up to date amenities. The bathroom will soon need a redo but worked without any issues.

The hotel location is in the center of the Waikiki area with close by shopping and restaurants. The onsite restaurant selections were varied but we did not try any of them. There's a nice infinity pool with a good view of Diamond Head and sunsets.

This is a nice hotel for a quiet place in Waikiki. There might be better locations for families. I would return.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Ocean View room or a higher floor.