“Excellent Service, Can't wait to return!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Halekulani Hotel

Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #6 of 85 Hotels in Honolulu
Singapore
“Excellent Service, Can't wait to return!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We choose Halekulani since my wife stayed there 10 years ago and mentioned it was the best hotel at that time and was bit concerned whether they will have same standards now, whether it will be too old of a property. But I have to say after staying at Halekulani for 5 nights and looking at the other hotels nearby, this is still the best hotel in Waikiki, hands down.

We have stayed in some nice hotels around the world and Halekulani service was second to none. Knowing how big the hotel is and how many rooms they have, I could not comprehend how they can maintain such a high level of service for all guests. I was genuinely impressed by the service staff and the overall service at the hotel.

Reception/Check-in staff was courteous, attentive and warm. Service staff at the hotel entrance was equally courteous and always looking to help. Staff at the restaurants/pool area/ souvenir shop/security staff all were impressive and always with a smile. I went for a run one morning and got back and the security staff came over and asked how was the run and chatted for 5 mins giving me recommendation on running paths for the next day. Now thats attention to detail. We spent 4 nights first and left for Maui and returned back to Halekulani after 5 days and all the staff remembered us and welcomed us back to the hotel. Very impressive service standards.

We stayed in two different categories of room in our stay, once in the Oceanfront room and the second time in the Diamond head view room. Both were nice with some great views of the beach and very elegantly done. I think elegant touch is the touch they are going for and they have got it right. The rooms were comfortable, decent sized for a resort hotel with nice amenities. The evening turn down service present was a nice touch.

Location of the hotel is prime, beautiful ocean view all around with nice gardens surrounding the hotel. It's close proximity to shopping areas, ABC store, starbucks all makes up for convenient location. Beach in front of the hotel is not big, but the pool area is lovely and makes it up for it.

We had dinner twice at Orchids and all the dishes we tried were very nice and they seem to use local produce to a large extent and that is reflected in the fresh taste. Service again at the restaurant was top notch. We tried the famous Halekulani Sunday brunch and that was a real gastronomic treat.

Overall this is a great hotel and we would not look elsewhere for our next trip.

Room Tip: Book via Amex FHR, comes with great benefits.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank global_traveller112

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Amarillo, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

It's been almost a year since we stayed here, and I contemplated the decision to write a review, but I decided it might help somebody out there make en educated decision about where to stay in Waikiki.

My fiance and I stayed at the Halekulani for four nights/five days in June 2011. It was our five year anniversary and we decided to take a short getaway to Hawaii to celebrate. My fiance chose the Halekulani hotel for us and, after looking at the beautiful pictures and reading spectacular reviews, I decided it was an amazing choice.

We chose an ocean view room to stay in (it's Hawaii...who wants the garden view?) and were super excited to say the very least. We paid around $600 a night, but after looking at pictures and reading the reviews, we decided it was well worth it (this is a great deal of money to us, lol, considering we mostly stay at La Quinta and Holiday Inn types). We also had saved up about a thousand bucks for spending cash..

We arrived in Hawaii after an exhausting eight hour flight. We rode the shuttle bus to the hotel and on our way there we saw our first Hawaii rainbow! Silly, I know, but I loved it. There was a "tour guide" of sorts on the shuttle who pointed out a few things on the way. We finally arrived at the hotel about 25-30 minutes later (if you can afford it, I would arrange for private transportation to the hotel so you don't have to stop at EVERY hotel on the way to drop people off - it gets annoying after the second hotel). When we pulled up, I noticed how relaxed and open everything was - it was nice.

Now, this is where things started to go downhill, and really set the tone for the rest of our vacation. Remember, we had never stayed in anything remotely as "luxurious" or "grand" as this hotel. At the front desk, they asked for a credit card. I didn't know what they needed it for so I asked if it needed to be the same one we booked the hotel with and they said no. We didn't bring any credit cards with us so as to keep us from overspending - which is easy to do on vacation. I gave them my debit card from our Hawaii spending account which had $1000 on it - it's all we had brought (our bad!). They swipe it - I'm assuming it must be needed for damages to the room or security or whatever. We get up to the room, they do the final check-in, and then they leave. My fiance decided to check our account - not sure why - but as soon as he did, he asked me, "What's this $600 charge from the Halekulani?" I had no idea, but sure enough there was a pending charge from the Halekulani for $600. I called the front desk to ask what it was and they said it was a security deposit and when we checked out of the hotel the charge would drop off. Well that would be fantastic if we had used an actual credit card instead of our debit card. There was a hold placed on 600 bucks of our spending money. So bottom line, we only had $400 left. DO NOT USE A DEBIT CARD FOR THE SECURITY DEPOSIT IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON USING THAT MONEY WHILE YOU ARE STAYING AT THE HOTEL. This was definitely our fault, but we still had no idea they charged that kind of deposit and were caught off guard. Fancy hotel lesson learned the hard way..ugh. Over half of our money was gone, so to speak, and we hadn't even been there 2 hours!

There was fresh fruit waiting on us which my fiance at ALL of while I was in the shower (I still can't believe he did that). There has been a lot of humbug about the rooms on this site and well, it's all true. The rooms do look very outdated. For how much they charge you per night, you expect something special about the rooms, but it's about the size of your average hotel room, and the amenities are very UNDER-average for the price. There is absolutely nothing special about the room or the bathroom. I give the rooms a 4/10. Our room was clean though and didn't have a musty odor like some other reviewers. The bed was clean and comfortable also and we had a fantastic view of the hotel pool and the ocean.

The first morning we went to the hotel beach. Incredibly disappointing. It was TINY, I'm serious, TINY. Very few loungers (like 8) and just the tiniest spot of beach I'd ever seen. I give the beach a 2/10. I had a nice time watching my fiance though because he'd never been in the ocean before and was having a great time.

Over the course of the next few days, our experience with this hotel was "just okay." I didn't find anything special about it. Everything was over-priced (a bagel with cream cheese for seven bucks?! And a pitcher of ice tea for $23?! Are they being serious right now?). We had room service quite a bit because we could use that $600 that they had a hold on. We had the Traditional Japanese breakfast the first morning. It was fresh fish with rice and miso soup and some other odds and ends. It was pretty good, and the presentation was excellent. Room service was very expensive though (see bagel and ice tea above). We ate breakfast at House Without a Key one day and it was 30 bucks per person..for breakfast..60 bucks for breakfast..ridiculous and average. We had reservations at Orchids the last night of our vacation and we got the fish for two plate. It was expensive and average. We didn't dine at La Mer - their premiere restaurant - but I felt like it was going to be average as well.

HOWEVER, The Lewer's Lounge was one of our favorite parts of our vacation. It had such a great atmosphere and wonderful drinks and service. We went there twice and loved it both times. The waiters and waitresses were very attentive when they needed to be and no one bothered you. They had comfortable couches to sit on and we just chatted and drank - it was perfect.

We didn't do very much while we were there because we didn't have access to our money, but we had prepaid for a few things. We did the Star of Honolulu dinner cruise. There was a steak and lobster dinner and it was a WHOLE lobster with EYES! Yikes! I let my fiance eat both of our lobsters haha. It was kinda cheesy and there were some stupid drunk people on the boat but we got some great pictures. We also did The Royal Hawaiian Luau. If I could have a redo, I would have chosen a different luau. It was kinda boring and the food was so-so. Plus it was at the Royal Hawaiian hotel in their "backyard" which bordered the beach area so everyone on the beach stayed and watched the entire show for FREE and we paid $150 per person for it. Granted they didn't get any food or drinks from the open bar but it was still irritating. They should block off that section of the beach or figure out something to prevent people from doing that. We got a few good pictures there.

So all in all - it was an average and sometimes disappointing vacation. Our view was a little skewered from the beginning, but I think even if we had all the money in the world, this hotel STILL wouldn't have been up to par for me considering we paid over two grand for just the hotel. Average rooms, overly expensive restaurants and room service for somewhat average food and drink (with the exception of The Lewer's Lounge), tiny beach..eh. So like the title of my review..this hotel is okay. Not great, not terrible, but just okay - average.

I would love to go back and get a do-over. I would not stay in Waikiki and would definitely not stay at the Halekulani. I would probably stay at Turtle Bay if I had to stay on Oahu, but when we go back, we have already decided we are staying at the Four Seasons on Maui. Can't wait!! Sorry the review is so long - if you stayed and endured with me through the whole thing thank you! :)

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean view room - it's nice waking up to the sounds of the ocean! And don'...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank AmAnDaToNy12
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Don't get me wrong, we really like the Halekulani. We like it so much we spent our honeymoon here and have returned every five years. We just celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary here several weeks ago and had a good time. But when a hotel makes a point of saying--at every turn--how "perfect" it is, it sets such a high standard that any minor flaw seems glaring. For instance, on all previous stays at this hotel the lobby staff would pass out bottles of water to guests who were leaving on tours or just walking around Honolulu. This really set the hotel apart from all others--a really nice gesture that has been discontinued. They still have a large contingent of staff at the front, but unless they are parking cars they just seem to be milling around. Also, I was surprised that the food quality has also declined. Our room rate included either a buffet breakfast of a full American breakfast. On our first morning we had a buffet breakfast at the House Without a Key restaurant and it was a major disappointment. Coffee was served very weak and only lukewarm. The variety of food was okay but nothing tasted really good. What was really shocking was that the breads and pastries were all lined up on platters covered with white napkins!! I know they have a problem with birds swooping down and stealing the bread, but really. A five-star hotel cannot afford to buy covered see through platters available at any restaurant supply store? Any time you would lift the napkin to try and see what was underneath a staffer would rush up and cover it up! The next morning we decided to have a full American breakfast at Orchids which was fantastic. The macadamia nut pancakes were fabulous, but again while the breakfast was part of our room rate, they charged us for coffee and juice. Really petty and not worthy of "The House Beffitting Heaven." Otherwise service is still top notch at this hotel. We appreciated the in-room check in. Really great especially after a 10-hour flight! The pool here has never been a high point-way too small but since the beach is just steps away it isn't an inconvenience. Rooms are spacious and relaxing with wonderful terraces overlooking the ocean. There is a certain calmness to this hotel which is much appreciated after a hectic day on the tourist packed streets of Honolulu. Will we return to the Halekulani again? Of course.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank toby047
Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We chose Halekulani as it was listed under 'leading hotels of the world'. We travelled all the way from India for our honeymoon and hence we were a bit apprehensive as we did not know the brand (like ritz or fairmont). However the hotel was a great pleasant surprise..the hospiality was mind blowing. The food was great and everyone knew us by our names !!
A short walk from the main city centre and also near the Waikiki beach. The view of the sea from our Lanai (Balcony) was breathtaking as we were perched upon the 17th floor. Very happy with the service and our overall stay...I highly recommend this !

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tulip785
Long Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I did not know how much I would like this place. It just feels right. It's comfortable, well located, and the rooms are super comfortable. The beach is tiny but we preferred it to the pool. Because of it's small size the hotel is able to keep it sandy, which was unusual to find in our hawaii travels which included four islands over two weeks. And your location keeps you connected to the town as well, which has nice shopping and good restaurants. The restaurant at the Hotel was very good but expensive so walk into town and eat like the locals for much less. The setting of the restaurant is the real draw anyway as it overlooks the ocean.

They put on a wonderful show in the evenings out on the lawn. We are able to enjoy it from the deck of our room as well because tables are crowded and we have a young child.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Streetfeeds
HAWAII
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

What does this place have to do to get rated number one? The HALEKULANI is the absolute best hotel in the urban jungle of Waikiki. You want sophistication, you are in the right place. You want casual, you are in the right place. Take note, the property is on the water, but it does not have a private beach. If you are a beach person, the sand is about 30 yards to your left or right. If you are a pool person, well you've come to the right spot. As soon as you enter the grounds the noise and din of the city evaporate. House Without a Key or HWAK is my favorite place to eat and drink. Spectacular sunset views with first class entertainment. The grounds are green and lush and the staff, from the moment the guy opens your door when you arrive, is superb. I stay here as often as I can.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank SURFER_DUDE44
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Halekulani means "a house befitting heaven" in the Hawaiian language. It is all that and more. The staff so magically remembers the guests names that I suspect hidden cameras and microphones are used. The House Without a Key restaurant and bar is excellent morning, noon, and night. Kanoe Miller is magical on stage on her nights. Lewers Lounge is the best place on Oahu for a nightcap. It is possible to vacation on Waikiki and have an actual enjoyable upscale experience -- this is the place.

Room Tip: Ocean side.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business