“The only pho shop in town”
Review of Pho Sho - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Pho Sho
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed December 16, 2014

I've had some really good pho before in both Seattle and Spokane. One day I really wanted some pho so my dad and I went to the only pho shop in Walla Walla. While it satiated my hunger for pho, it didn't for particularly good pho. They don't give you enough basil, lime, and bean sprouts. The broth doesn't have the depth of flavor in good pho, and the thin sliced beef was one big, the size of my hand, sliced beef. I was able to doctor it up with fish sauce and other various spicy accoutrements, but it wasn't nearly as good as the other pho in Spokane.

I guess the best thing that happened while I was there was the realization that Cherry Limeade and Pho are a wonderful combination.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We were in Walla Walla for 7 days and went to Pho Sho for dinner on two of those nights - we loved it! The food was good,simple and easy with limited menu... I'm listing that as a plus. On both occasions we were tired after a long day of biking and wanted to get take-out that was a step above and Pho Sho accomplished that. The noodles, spring rolls and sweet onion tempura all were very good and light in the hot weather. The restaurant itself is designed to be very casual with some nice outdoor seating if we had wanted to stay. Prices were good and service was what you would expect from something with counter service. Again, we went back again which is our ultimate recommendation.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Horribly rude customer service. The quality and quantity of their food as gone down. We were disapointed, when we asked the gal behind the counter she was not honest with us and told us she didn't care if we were unhappy and didn't come back. Very rude and mean!
We are local in walla walla and have been eating at pho sho for a couple years. Over the last year we have noticed the quality and quantity of the food decline. We noticed a year ago the spring rolls for smaller but stayed the same price. However, we were craving some pho and stopped in tonight. My husband for the brisket pho and it was significantly a smaller portion than we have ever seen before - plus it needed salt. My husband asked for more broth and he was given a little more. I order the pork bun and was immediately dismained because the amount of rice noodles in the dish was minimal - instead they had loaded the bowl with lettuce (cheap).
When the gal came and took my bowl and asked me if it hi the spot...I looked at her and said, "well...no" and then she cut me off and walked off!! When we went to pay our bill my husband and I commented that although the food was good, we felt the quantity and quality of the food was lacking and we were getting disappointed. The gal informed us that everything in the back is measured - however, that just isn't true. You can't tell a frequent customer that you're getting the same amount of food when you can look in your bowl and it's not the same amount. We told her we disagreed and that it is not consistent. Sh told us we were wrong and was not nice about it. We told her we would not be back, she told us SHE DIDn't CARE and that we could eat somewhere else. WOW. The WORST customer service I have ever had - EVER. After eating there for years and not seeing this person before, we were really stunned at how rude she was and unfriendly.
I support local businesses but not ones that are rude to their customers!

2  Thank karen H
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I really like this place a LOT. The beef broth is really wonderful and they are always accommodating to add extra items into my soup: veggies, etc. Portions are normal for what I've experienced in pho shops -- not gigantic but certainly not dainty. I've never left unsatisfied or anything remotely close to 'hungry' after lunch there. The primary waitress is enthusiastic, friendly, and direct. Super.
The room itself is quite small. 3 small tables; one large picnic table in the middle, and a bar seating 4-6 on the window. Some outside seating in warm months. That's it. Maybe they can handle 22 inside at the very most -- so that limits things if you come at 12:30 midweek during a lunch rush. You'll have to wait. They also close after lunch at 2pm so that is sometimes a drag as I've felt rushed to get out at times.

As other reviewers have pointed out, $9 is comparatively a lot for a bowl of Pho -- when I visited a friend in the bay area, we had larger portions of excellent stuff for in the $4-5 range and I was blown away. Pho Sho had been my only point of reference. With that being said, this is not unusual given the location and the city. Walla Walla is not particularly cheap to live in or eat out in. I still go there because even at $9, it's worth it -- I just can't go as often as I'd like.

1  Thank krisloewen
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We have eaten at this restaurant from time to time, and have always enjoyed the friendliness of the owner and the flavor of the steaming hot pho and the flavor of the spring rolls. It had been awhile since we had been and today being cold, it seemed a good fit. The 3 of us ordered both large bowls and appetizers for almost $50 which we do not take lightly in this economy. It wasn't as good or as flavorful as we remembered but that is the way it goes. We visited with the people next to us, who were there for the first time and, as locals, were disappointed. I don't think they will be repeat customers. This is what we observed. Having received no service other than food being delivered to the table, the people decided not to leave a tip. Upon leaving, the waitress asked if everything had been ok. The people hesitated and then quietly and respectfully said, "Well, to be honest it wasn't as flavorful as we had hoped." Immediately she snapped, "Well, we don't change any of our recipes so ....." Then she gazed pointedly at the table and said loudly "We know when someone doesn't leave a tip they are really unhappy, so good luck with THAT" and they were briskly herded out the door. We were absolutely shocked. Since when is a tip a given? Isn't it for good service? Isn't it a personal decision? We were absolutely shocked, and while we really admire and like the owner, we will not be going back after witnessing this. As former food service owners ourselves, if someone had a comment or criticism we did our best to make it right and even if it was a difference of opinion, you just grin and bare it. So I guess we would say in return "good luck with THAT.: Very unfortunate, very rude, very sorry to see it.

1  Thank mrscoolstuff